It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange military deployment story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I heard something strange the other day and I just wanted to get all of your thoughts on it. I know little of military procedure, so bear with me.

A friend of a friend, and I trust that this information is true, is in the army. He was told that he would be deployed to Cuba for a 6 month stay. What he found odd about the situation is that he was given/told to take desert gear with him. What do you need desert gear in Cuba for???

Secondly, he was told that it was 'very' important that he not tell anyone by his supiriors. I know because he told his brother.

Thirdly, he was originally told that it would be a 6 month stay, but he later found out secretly that it would be at least 2 years.

What does everyone make of this?

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Perhaps they're bringing him out to one of the 'black' bases in Nevada or New Mexico, or something, and they want this trip to cuba to be his cover story.

However, what I'm wondering about is the cover story itself. I thought that the US had no military presence in Cuba?

Isn't there a law there about that?

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
However, what I'm wondering about is the cover story itself. I thought that the US had no military presence in Cuba?

That is exactly the impression that I was under. The question is, then, why would they try to cover up one story with another that would just raise questions?

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Is there a chance that your friend of a friend is an MP? Also we have a base at Guantamano bay, Cuba where suspected al-Quida are held, it is a very hot climate so desert gear would be in order.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
Is there a chance that your friend of a friend is an MP? Also we have a base at Guantamano bay, Cuba where suspected al-Quida are held, it is a very hot climate so desert gear would be in order.

No, low level infintry out of northern NJ. Just a normal joe.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

No, low level infintry out of northern NJ. Just a normal joe.

He's more than likely just part of the garrison for the base then. The long posting is probably due to rotation schedules being messed up due to military commitments in the mideast.

Or it could be related to Haiti refugee story;
www.reuters.com...

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Also we have a base at Guantamano bay, Cuba where suspected al-Quida are held, it is a very hot climate so desert gear would be in order.

This would be my guess.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I just an article somewhere, (can't find it at this moment) about today being the start of the longest military rotation in history. Perhaps your friend will only be starting out in Cuba, serve 6 months there before being sent on to either Iraq or Afghanistan and so he needs the desert gear for later on.

top topics

join