It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US gave $300m arms contract to 22y.o. with criminal record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   

US gave $300m arms contract to 22y.o. with criminal record

www.guardian.co.uk

The Pentagon entrusted a 22-y.o. previously arrested for domestic violence and having a forged driving licence to be the main supplier of ammunition to Afghan forces at the height of the battle against the Taliban.

AEY, essentially a one-man operation based in an unmarked office in Miami Beach, Fl, was awarded a contract worth $300m to supply the Afghan army and police in January last year. The NY Times reported AEY's president, Efraim Diversoli, 22, supplied stock that was 40 y.o. and rotting..
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
It gets worse:

Diversoli appears to have had a lucrative run. He told the newspaper his firm had won contracts worth at least $200m each year since 2004. AEY also supplied weapons to US agencies, and rifles to Iraqi forces.

The article reports that Diversoli scoured former East block nations for arms and ammunition "that were so obsolete that the US and Nato funded programmes to see them safely destroyed."

Yet another data point on our pathetic decline.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
In the real world, background - due dilligence - checks are carried out as a matter of policy, I help do them myself for some outsourced functions and business partners. Simple checks like this would have rung alarm bells within 24hrs of checks starting.
What the hell, it's only taxpayers money, he seems like a good guy to do business with and anyway, it's friday and nobody wants to work late on a friday

Seriously, the guy must be connected to have been given that contract. Maybe there's someone at the Pentagon taking kickbacks on the contracts?

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
They must be going to set him up as some kind of patsy and then blame something on him and toss his rear in jail.

I hope this guy enjoys his money while he can.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Agreed, none of this adds up. He had Pentagon contracts worth $200 milion in 2004? He was barely 18 y.o. in 2004, forchrissakes! This is criminally precocious.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Wow, that's an amazing contract. Even more so when you figure out that the UN and US already spent money destroying those munitions.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Honestly, who cares? Its not like you need a priest to be eligible to sell firearms and ammunition.

Its just like Jimmy Carter passing that stupid law where intelligence agencies can not use informants who do not pass background checks. Again, who cares? They are informants. Most likely they will have a bad background.

"Hey, Bob. Let us use Dave as an informant. He's an ex-mob who has enough of the life of crime and wants to bring down the mob. Dave can bring down the most powerful and influential mob family... Oh, wait! Dave has a criminal record. Never mind."

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by gottago

Great find, gottago, star!

Truly amazing, the malfeescence our US gov is involved in! They just don't
care what the rest of us think...

They GOTTAGO ! ! !

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Does this really come as a suprise to anyone? Our cery own president is an ex cocain addict, so why not let someone else with a past doing illegal things have some semblance of power?

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
People, do not think for a SECOND that this is "incompetence". It is simply this: This guy gets to embezzle money for someone higher up, in return, he gets a cut of the "profits". His risk, however, is that he becomes the fall guy should anything go wrong.

Remember that scene from "Independence Day":

"How do you fund stuff like this?"
"You don't REALLY think they spend $20,000 on a hammer, $30,000 on a toilet seat, do you?"

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Exactly- otherwise,Bush's cronies would have

said contract. Nothing to figure out here. Its a no brainer.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
How exactly does one get into the arms trade?

Any ideas?

Its not like you can sit there in front of your careers tutor and say "I want to be a gunrunner".

Especially when this guy is 22! Makes it a bit incredulous that he's an arms dealer.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
My first inclination is laundering Afghan opium profits.

A 22 year old with P.O. Box in Miami Beach. Nuf said.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by gottago
reply to post by Britguy

Agreed, none of this adds up. He had Pentagon contracts worth $200 milion in 2004? He was barely 18 y.o. in 2004, forchrissakes! This is criminally precocious.

It was his fathers company.. not his.. but he took over. The original company/contracts where actually for paper processing or something like that. The father says that the kid is uncontrollable and essentially hijacked the company.. how he actually got the contract for arms dealing I am clueless.. at least that big of a contract.. there are some massive companies out there that supply the ammo and guns to our troops and allies.. why they chose a punk from Miami I am not sure.. most likely the kid is smart.. what says a 22 year old cannot be a good business man? I am starting my own company, and I am only 21? .. granted.. I don't plan on landing 300m contracts haha.. ah, if only..

Besides, if people high enough in the Pentagon to land this contract where involved.. it would never have been investigated. Most likely he started out sending quality ammo, then decided to increase profit by finding decrepit ammo .. not to unusual when greed comes into play.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by gottago

I wish that would have happened to me when I was 22 years old.

join