It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CiR Posters Should Read This

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I have observed the threads in this forum becoming more and more emotional and uncivilized as time goes by. People are addressing each other in ways they would never do in person. Posters insult each other as a matter of course. Posts are made questioning other people's intelligence, morals, intentions, and every small detail that can be brought out in an effort to be mean and nasty.

OK, insults stop. The snide remarks aimed at angering stop. The sarcasm pointing out other people's lack of understanding stop. Yelling your point in all caps stop.

Talk about the subject of the post, not about how you perceive the other posters. I fully expect disagreements, but they will be about the data presented or they will be deleted and little red stickers will show the world how the CiR posters behave.

Now as of me posting this, all of you have a clean slate, in my opinion. Everybody on both sides of every issue is equal, you're starting even. I don't have a side in these issues due to belonging to a small religion that has nothing in common with 99% of the people here. And beyond that, I try to have the professionalism to keep any personal feelings out of things.

Problems can be avoided by discussing ideas and not people. Stay on topic, and post with kindness and not anger. Learn, if you can, and teach, like you were giving a gift, not using a sword.

And if you cannot behave like adults, then expect me to visit you. I intend to read every post in every thread in this forum. Maybe not every day, but I will read them all. From this point, be sure your sins will find you out. If a week from now, I go back and find a three day old post that is attacking someone, it will get the same reaction as if it were posted within the proceeding five minutes.

I will give new members just the smallest of slack. But most of you are old hands at this, so I'm not posting links to the T&C. I'm through treating you like children. If you're old enough to post, you're old enough to own your words.

I would suggest that if any of you have friends, you send them a U2U linking them to this post.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Not that I haven't been guilty of the above myself (especially today) but starred, flagged, and into my signature this goes.

This is an excellent change and needed to be said. Religion and atheism is a very heated topic and emotions can run high. Hopefully this will make people stop and think before making it personal or making fun of someone's faith or god.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Bear in mind that the opposite is also true. Stop and think before belittling someone's lack of faith in what you hold so true.

Breaches of civility by any side will be treated the exact same way.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I totally agree. It works both ways. Almost added in 'and lack thereof' into the above comment but figured believing there is no God would still constitute as a belief. Thanks again for making this thread. Hopefully it will make everyone think before posting and making it personal.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Fantastic post

I to am probably guilty of insulting someone.....although i try to not intentionally do this it does sometimes squeeze out when someone disrespects my beliefs.

Hopefully everyone will take note of this post, there is no point in insulting anothers religion. Every religion has there good and bad points (as does atheism which is my lifestyle) and not everyone who is religious is part of an extremist wing or thinks atheists should be shot etc

Star and Flag for this, and hopefully we will see some more mature arguments in this topic in the future

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Thank you for the support.

While this may go down as a bitter pill for a few individuals who thrive on conflict, I feel sure that the majority of ATSers want a civil place to discuss their ideas and opinions. Most people don't want to participate in shouting matches where name calling, even disguised, is the rule.

We can make CiR a place to expand horizons, not a place to shut down all but the strident voices.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

thanks for posting this NGC2736. hopefully discussions and debates will be more civilised from now on.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I hope this thread clicks with most, if not all, of the users posting on this board (and others). All this name-calling, belittling, and ALL CAPS messages are getting quite tiresome.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I don't really visit the CIR forum much, but I'm all for giving the voice of reason a helping hand... so a star and flag to the OP.

Good post

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I look forward t this being enforced even though I am more than aware that I may well be one of those on the receiving end.

The more posts I read of your's and the firm but fair and considered moderation you display the more my regard and respect grows.

A moderator with immense integrity.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
If there were two topics that were going to result in heated exchanges, it would surely be politics and religion. That has always been the case. Just turn on your television to any news channel at present and look at the heated exchange and nastiness that is transpiring in the realm of politics, and even within that, religious associations have arisen and caused even more heated responses from everyone involved. It seems these two topics will always produce the same results, no matter what guidelines are set forth or, enforced.

I will do my best to not offend anyone in my posts, yet, there are times when it is hard to read emotions as contained in words. Sure, there are the evident, outright and obvious insults, name calling and the cap letters (Yelling). Although, I have seen someone write a post, and having read it, I understood the tone. Then another individual will come along and read into the same post, a completely different emotion and they feel insulted. I suppose emotional interpretations will always be a risk, and in the hands of the reader and how they interpret the words, as contained within the post. Like I said, that will always be the risk, no matter how polite someone may have been in constructing the post.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Although I respect what you've said and it's high time someone mentions this seriously, I feel this should be extended to the site as a whole. It's not merely in regards to CiR but seems to be a growing trend among what I would assume is the older members and the newer members. There is a certain sense of arrogance and elitist characteristic to quite a substantial group visiting the site, these seem to be the "bullies" so to speak who literally cut with the verbal sword the newer members trying to bounce ideas off others. I actually wanted to start a post highlighting this but it seems you have put it much more eloquently that I could have.

Any chance we could have this swept across all parts of the board ?

namaste
J

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mortalengine

To have this across all the forums is actually right on, as the T&C applies to all areas. But much like the old west, there's a lot of territory and very few lawmen. I've been assigned to CiR, as well as a few other forums, and so that is where I do most of my "work".

I've been appointed Marshal to clean up Dodge City, so I can't worry with the whole state of Kansas right now.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mortalengine
Any chance we could have this swept across all parts of the board ?

namaste
J

There are other forums that are strictly moderated because of this issue. Secret Societies and 9/11 being notable. I don't intend to speak for NCG but I would think that the Creationism forum would also fall under this, not just CiR.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Great post NGC, i hope this will apply to the O&C forum as well.

I was under the impression that this forum and the O&C forum were for the discussion of religious, origins and creationism conspiracy's not personal opinions on faith or belief.
Those topics belong in Faith and Spirituality, right?

As always your spot on mate.

mojo

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I enjoy debating ideas relating to Christianity and my understanding of the Bible. I stopped posting in these threads due to the massive amounts of name calling and Christian bashing that has been going on for well over a year.

I am not out to convert anyone or belittle anyone else's spiritual views. If we can keep this section civil, I may start posting here again. The fun of ATS is in the discussion and the chance that you may learn something .

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
This is a must read for old and new members alike and I wish it was across the board.
I like the no bull and no punch pulled approach.
Consider yourself starred and flagged.If I could, I'd give you applause.......perhaps another mod could do it in my stead.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
By all means, return to this forum to debate. And be assured that civility will be the order of the day.

If someone gets out of line, don't compound it by retaliating in kind, because then I will have two offenders to deal with. But if so inclined, you may use the alert function. However, as I said in my opening statement, I will read each and every post in CiR personally when I am on line. So each post will be evaluated.

This place will be a spot to learn at once more.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I posted this reply on the Esoteric agenda thread but i think this one belongs here.Im too lazy to edit so I apologize if its a little off topic.

There you go you stood up for your self.. I'm like planning to meddle and make things clear for you guys but clearly its just a misunderstanding.. And you settled it on your own.nice... I dont have anything against anyone here ok.. Its just that I think that we guys attracted each other here in this site (ATS), yes.. attracted each other believe it or not.. for what? DENYING IGNORANCE.. we maybe standing on different levels here but we have to think, Why are we here in this site? Is it to show your unparalleled skill in debating or what? We have to stop hitting on other members that we think that they are not smart enough for us or too naive and ignorant for us because seriously you are not helping your foe or yourself. People this is not about ourselves.. being right or wrong.. We are here to help each other see things in different perspectives and not to force our own view to someone.. So there's really nothing wrong in debating or arguing.. As long as its healthy for you and specially your advesary.. Yes its true that we cant just allow ourselves to be swayed by the blind faith of the majority..But remember proving theories and finding facts is not enough.. We cant simply dismiss some idea or theory as FALSE,MISLEADING, or GARBAGE just because it didnt satisfy what YOU want to believe in.. we have to try to stop judging the credibility of something even if it doesnt offer enough evidence to support its claims..but rather try and look outside your doors and see what is happening.. Causality is absolute in the universe.. if there's a CAUSE there is an EFFECT.. so trying to figure out the cause is good.. but dont focus your attention to that but instead try to figure out what can you do about the effects too. STARVATION,POVERTY,WAR,CRIME,INEQUALITY,DISCRIMINATION etc.. what can you do about these things? when was the last time that you gave some food or a dollar to a street bum? when was the last time that you apologized to the people that you have done wrong? When was the last time that you hugged your brothers and Sisters? when was the last time that you visited and kissed your OLD parents and grand parents in a health care institution? things like that... proving someone wrong can only serve your own ego unconsciously. Thats why we have to do our own research to increase our own awareness and help other people reach this awareness too.. Because there is nothing wrong in collective consciousness as long as it is not towards idiocracy. remember that there is always strength in numbers.. But one man can also make a change.. So if we humble ourselves.. all of us will eventually reach the point of enlightenment.. utopia is not a fools dream.. we just deny its reality by not doing something about it as ONE.. and that video is trying to say that LOVE is the way.. so why dont you focus your attention to that.. Go out now and give some love to your neighbor or kiss your mom and say I love you.. If you cant do something like that then forget about fighting and DENYING IGNORANCE for a while and educate yourself more first..

One more thing Im not saying these things to you cornixman but for everyone here in ATS..I admire the fact that you cleared things out and you apologized if you offended him and I would like to take advantage of this chance to speak my mind So Everyone,I know that this is a LONG AND OFF TOPIC post and I apologize for that.. I just want to stress out the importance of why we are here in ATS because I seriously think that some people are here for the wrong reasons.. But thats what I think, you have to see things on your own. So read this.. I dont care if you agree or not..delete this post if you want.Spread the word if you agree.Im just speaking my mind.. And I hope I have that freedom here. So ask yourself....How can I possibly solve the RUBIX CUBE if I will only

[edit on 31-3-2008 by Godfinder]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

We are all mad as hell, and sick of the games and lies that our supposed elected leaders seemingly or willfully perpetuate.The truth to any thing nowadays is nearly impossible to unearth.You can't even get three doctors to agree on an a diagnosis concerning your health.When it comes to Politics or x-Politics,TRUTH isn't even on the books.I doubt that anyone in Washington DC really knows WTF is really going on.All the mainstream media conduits are nothing except a huge conglomerate of
buttbuddies in bed with D.C. players.You will NEVER hear the truth from these groups.It isn't in their interests to tell any of us, what is really going down.They see us as SHEEPLE and Chattel, to use for whatever end game they have in mind.That IS the TRUTH! You aren't free, respected, honored or catered too. Your vote means diddly squat, because those that sit in the corporate board rooms will continue to do what ever the hell they want. The fat cats run the nation and the government. All our protests, and movements, and letters, and speeches will not change a damn thing.
That is the Truth!
Therefore, running each other down, calling eachother names, or telling the other to go to hell, is just what the BIG BOYS want us to do.The more dissension and acrimony we have amongst ourselves, the easier it is to continually feed us their shove fulls of propaganda.So far, it has worked for them for over a hundred years.Like it our not,we are their puppets and they are our masters.I know it, they know it,and just maybe you start realizing just who it is that is REALLY pulling your strings as well.
I have given up trying to change anything.I can't set myself up for the gulags and the mass arrests that are coming down the road.Anger and rage at the machine will only get you interred later.That is the TRUTH!
Forum discussions and debates are fun, and very interesting, but not the end all and be all of existance.It isn't mine and it shouldn't be yours.
Nothing brought up here with in these forums will change one iota of anything.At best, it might enlighten some of us to things we may not have ever concidered before,but,we know what they say about giving your opinions!
I am nobody,and I have no voice.I am a single grain of sand on the beach as the tsunami of events rushes forward towards us all. I can't change anything, I can't get out of the way,all I know is,I am in for one hell of ride. So are all of you.Stop bickering,and face reality.
The reality is;WE are all going to face mass extinction quite soon.It has already started;Global climate change,Past peak oil,World Banking collapses,crop losses, famine,endless wars,plagues and disease resistant to treatment,fresh water depletion,pollution,over population,dead and dying seas, and the list goes on and on.That is the TRUTH!
Right now,I could care less about UFO's,Crop Circles,9-11,Obama,Bush, 2012,or whatever else.None of that crap matters.
What matters is trying to be prepared for the END of EVERYTHING that is coming.
The things that will count?Guns,Ammo,Food Stocks,durable clothes,and personal supplies,a 4x4 vehicle( w/x-tra parts/oil )with a least 500+ gals of fuel hidden away,good mountain bike/s,compasses and camping supplies,maps,a crash-stead to hunker down in,a civil band radio,maybe a good companion,(k-9 or partner) and having your head screwed on right...Priceless!
This will probably be my last post.Time is short.I wish you all the best of luck sorting out what ever it is you think you need to sort out.
Just try to remember what really counts in life!
Anarchy is coming...count on it! Fascism and the Police State are coming.
The Open WWW InterNet days are numbered.True Freedom will be a distant memory.I choose to drop off the grid.The only thing I care about
now is; ME! No ill will towards any one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join