It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Troop of 50 US Marines Leaving for Haiti

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Still breaking, a group of 50 USA Marines is heading into Haiti in order to secure the American Embassy and it's staff as the rebellion continues to intensify. These Marines will not be getting involved with rebellion unless it threatens the US Embassy and its staff. They are there simply to protect the Embassy not to do anything else.

U.S. ambassador in Haiti had requested the Marines. U.S. officials said the 50-man team, trained in counterterrorism, will join a dozen Marines already in Haiti to provide additional security for the embassy.
Pentagon and military officials are still reviewing plans for a possible emergency airlift of some 300 U.S. government staff from Haiti if necessary, but as of Monday morning there had been no decision to issue an evacuation order.
www.msnbc.msn.com...
www.foxnews.com...
Related ATSNN Articles:
Rebels Seize Cap-Haitien, Second-Largest City; Half of Country Now Under Rebel
Control
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Aristide Says He's Ready to Die to Defend Haiti; U.S. Urges Americans to Leave the Country
Related ATS Discussion:
Should the US Get Involved In Haiti?

[Edited on 2-24-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Sure, send in the Marines, they don't care.

I swear, the Marines are the most over abused service there is.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Sure, send in the Marines, they don't care.

I swear, the Marines are the most over abused service there is.

I would have to say that the rangers are the most abused, this is not the hardest spot the marrines have been in before. Rangers got it off alot worse before and many more times.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Regarding US Marines and Rangers and who is abused more...
I'm going to show my ignorance here with non-air force issues...
I thought the Rangers usually went into "harms way" secretively and the Marines went in overtly - (recon work notwithstanding). IF that's the case then the Marines would have to be the most abused...

One thing I know, if the USAF is called in it won't be pretty...

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Is this the first or second group?

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
I thought the Rangers usually went into "harms way" secretively and the Marines went in overtly - (recon work notwithstanding). IF that's the case then the Marines would have to be the most abused...

exaclty so you never know whent hey are being used. like the first stirkes in iraq before the war even started they were painting targets.

as for the second statment m with you on that we could end their little rebbelion with some brief bombing

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl

Note to Sam - I said service, not section.

Now, about the air force. It will so be pretty. Come on, they've got to go install running toilets and phones with mini-McDonalds before the USAF will even get there.

By the way, the navy and marine wings are getting, and have been getting, a whole lot of action over there.

But they don't always get those nice cushy "runways" to land on.

(good natured ribbing)

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
i appreicate a good ribbing once in a while as long as it is in good nature

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Can we assume this is yet another country for "temporary" US military accupation? Soon Haliburton and Carlysle will send in their estimators and consultants. No???

Did they survey for oil? Can this allow more pressure to be put upon Cuba or Venezuela?

Shame about all those rebels. Leave it to our boys. Is there something we have that could persuade them to yield$?

who

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I dont think this is going to help Bush with his hopes of getting re-elected. So much of this nation is against wa and he seems to think our military is limitless and has an infinite number of people. We are actually very undermanned having spread our military so thin all over the world.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I wouldn't want to be on that detail! Whew! At least they are smart enough to send marines though.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
These Marines will not be getting involved with rebellion unless it threatens the US Embassy and its staff. They are there simply to protect the Embassy not to do anything else.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
They Had to Crush Aristide

Bush's Contempt for Democracy

Aristide Forced into Exile

USA decides FORCE beats diplomacy, bribery, and persuasion.
We used to be the 'Good Guys'!

Might we regret this?

top topics

join