It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fingerprint Scanners Help Companies Track Workers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Fingerprint Scanners Help Companies Track Workers

wcbstv.com

Some workers are doing it at Dunkin' Donuts, at Hilton hotels, even at Marine Corps bases.

Employees at a growing number of businesses are starting and ending their days by pressing a hand or finger to a scanner that logs the precise time of their arrival and departure—information that is automatically reflected in payroll records.

Manufacturers say these biometric devices improve efficiency and streamline payroll operations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Futronic's FS88 Fingerprint Scanner Detects Difference Between Live, Dead Fingers
Heathrow airport first to fingerprint
Fingerprint And Eye Identification
The Real Crime: 1,000 Errors in Fingerprint Matching Every Year

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I actually was employed by a natural foods grocery store until recently that used a biometric fingerprint scanner for the "clock-in" machine.

I never liked the idea of a central database holding my fingerprint, even if I'm not a criminal. The machine took a "picture" or reading of my pointer and middle finger on one hand so if one finger didn't register, the other would work.

I could have clocked in each day using a piece of paper, but that would entail more work for my superiors so that was obviously frowned upon.

I am not going to lie. I am no fan of this kind of technology. The potential for abuse is very high. One hack into this system and you will have many people's prints. There are machines that take more than 2 fingers. Some take all 10 digits...Now that would be scary

I would not be surprised if this sort of machine becomes mandatory in every workplace. Not only that, but you'll have to check in with the "master machine" to make sure you're not a wanted criminal. That'll be just great

This picture doesn't look exactly like the machine I had to use, but not too dissimilar.

wcbstv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/28/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Any comments on biometric scanners? How about biometric passports, REAL ID cards, and the like?

Whether we like it or not, we're all be catalogued. For what reason, I'm not quite sure yet.

All I know its not a good thing.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
We have one of these at work. From what I've been told, it doesn't scan your fingerprint but rather 'reads your heartbeat' or something like that, which seems unlikely to me as BPM fluctuates wildly.

Here's a pic:
Couldn't find any info on it, not from the net or the people at work.

[edit on 28/3/2008 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I think that it's going to end up where everyone's expected to be chipped. That'll probably be the mark of the beast.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Well wal-greens hasn't moved to something like this thankfully, and I'm hoping they don't. Something like this just doesn't feel right, it actually makes one feel trapped in a work environment if they have to place the finger digit on a scanner. I mean some jobs feel like prison enough, why make jobs actually turn into that
. I guess managers just want to make sure there paying you adequately for your time.

Though I do have one question, even if your managers know when you clocked in and clocked out, as well as you knowing it to. What if the manager has to cut back and tries to say that you clocked in at least 30 minutes to an hour later? The person would have almost no proof and the manager could be in the clear, could a scenario like this happen? Just curious.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
My current employer uses a scanner to log us in and out. Is it a pain? Oh yes. Hand goes in and the last 4 of your SS# are keyed in. If your fingers are not placed just right, or your fingernails are too long or maybe the machine is just having a bad day, you are not logged in, then we get to fill out a "time correction" form. Just seems like another way of absolute control in the making.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is exactly the kind of ignorance we have to deal with every day at my job.

I am the field manager for a company that install security products.REMOVED LINKOne of our most popular items is the bio-metric finger scanners.

I am going to try to clear up the mis-conceptions some people here seem to have.

There is no "fingerprint database" in the time clock, period. The machine takes your fingerprint, fingertips electrical conductivity, and heartbeat electro-pulses to generate a NUMBER to check against the NUMBERS stored the database. In no way shape or form can you take that number and re-create the fingerprint. Lets say the whorls and lines on your fingerprint were translated into the number 1768. Then your resistance is assigned 941 then your electro-gram is assigned a value of 8626. The only thing that would be sent to the database would be the sum of those numbers, just the sum is checked against your name. One name typically has 3 or more different numbers assigned to it as there is some variation, thus explaining why you have to scan your fingers 3 times before it works.(If your employers follow the directions.

What is wrong with having to scan a finger to start your time clock? It sure as heck would stop people clocking in for their friends.

Also, I have an embedded chip. I had in injected into my wrist in order to make certain aspects of my job quicker/more convenient. I was not forced to get the mark of the beast tattooed on my forehead as fore-tolled by prophecy. I am not forced to worship the beasts image 3 times a day, as fore-tolled by prophecy. And finally, no-one threatened to kill me if I didn't get it, as fore-tolled by prophecy. The only logical conclusion is that implanted RFID chips must not be the "mark of the beast". It is really ticking me off that people will attribute a prophecy to something without even understanding the prophecy.

---------EDITED TO REMOVE COMPANY INFORMATION-----------------------

[edit on 28-3-2008 by Lotiki]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Thanks for the picture, that looks almost identical to the one I was using. The only difference being the fingerprint scanner was on the top of the machine. I can't remember what company makes it though...

reply to post by Leviatano

I am pretty sure the machine takes an accurate gauge of your time-in/time-out. I've had a few instances where my time was not accurately taken and I had to tell the manager about it.

Its a digital machine with software problems just like the rest of them. My only issue is the biometric scanner part of it. Not my cup of tea.

reply to post by CelticMist

Yeah that's pretty much the same deal I had. SSN and finger punch. Annoying as anything.

reply to post by Lotiki

So because you know what you're talking about makes this sort of technology any better? Its still a means to track people. The machine took a reading of my finger every time I logged in and out, including a part of my SSN.

That is not something I want to have to deal with every time I clock in.

Also, I have an embedded chip. I had in injected into my wrist in order to make certain aspects of my job quicker/more convenient.

Right after reading that I know you are not a credible source to listen to. I will not have anything implanted in me for "convenience sake."

Thanks for the info, but your credibility went out the window when I read that.

The only logical conclusion is that implanted RFID chips must not be the "mark of the beast"

What the company didn't tell you is that you are not trackable by satellites. Mark of the beast or not, its a severe breach in privacy.

That is, if you care about privacy...

[edit on 3/28/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Ok, just so you can understand why I have an inplanted chip.

You may have see proximity card readers on some doors that control the locks. They are similar to magnetic stripe readers only there is no stripe, the information is sent from a small RFID chip.

The company I work for has security hardware contracts with 8 different county jails, half a dozen miuniciple courts, about 3 dozen public schools and many private companies that do high level classified work for the government., just to name a few.

Every single one of these places uses Card scanner tech to control access and protect secure ares. Those are the areas I need to get into and I need to get there at any time. Having one card instead of hundreds, and programming that card to work everywhere I work is the most logical thing to do. However, I can not make a card like that because the security risk would be ENORMOUS . Implanting a rfid chip that sends out the same signal is much less of a security risk, and way more easy than carrying around hundreds of cards.

I am NOT trackable by satellite. The chip get is is energy from a microwave feild emmited by the scanner. You have to be within 6 inches for it to able to get enough power to send its signal. In order for a satellite to put out that much power, it would also boil your eyeballs at the same time. Also, the signal emmitted by the chip can only be picked up from about a foot away or so, after that its way to weak to even detects with specialized equipment.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by Lotiki]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Lotiki,

You may feel comfortable selling out - but your arguments for patriots to do the same is unconvincing.

The whole idea of the implanted chip is that it quickly turns from convenience into total control.

While it may not be the mark of the beast I firmly believe this technology is it's predocessor - think how easy it will be to create a permanent tattoo that works like these chips in the not too distant future.

And trust me it won't be forced upon the populouses of the world - people will be begging to get this mark upon them.

Let those who have understanding be warned...

[edit on 28-3-2008 by TruthMagnet]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
This fingerprint thing was beaten on mythbusters. Its a joke. They barely work in a reliable manner, when they are kept spotless. They are a disease transmission point and unhealthy and can be beaten with the last fingerprint left on the glass and some ladies rouge, tape and pink paper.

Eye scanner is the way to go. I can't stand when people try to defend inferior technology.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee
This fingerprint thing was beaten on mythbusters. Its a joke. They barely work in a reliable manner, when they are kept spotless. They are a disease transmission point and unhealthy and can be beaten with the last fingerprint left on the glass and some ladies rouge, tape and pink paper.

Eye scanner is the way to go. I can't stand when people try to defend inferior technology.

The one they used on Mythbusters was a joke.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Lotiki, there is no need to jump on people for being ignorant. I've had people come up to me and say 'You know you can turn that sound off?' referring to the sound of the shutter/mirror in my SLR (camera), because they think it is a pre-recorded sound like in their little point & shoots. I don't get angry at them or accuse them of being ignorant, as it appears you are doing here, I just explain to them that no, the sound cannot be turned off.

Just because people are not aware that something that appears to scan their fingerprint actually takes readings of electrical conductivity, electronic cardiac pulses and fingerprint patterns to create a numerical identification for that person, doesn't mean they are ignorant. Just uneducated.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Perhaps, but when people continue to ignore all the aspects of my posts, not address anything I say, and accuse me of "selling out" or taking the mark of the beast when they apparently have no idea what they are talking about, they are not uneducated, they are ignorant, and willingly so.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Lotiki

Well perhaps you care to show the ones you are trying to sell in Vegas next week.

No company I know of, is installing and using the grade of equipment you are suggesting as a time clock.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
We don't have to try and sell anything. We actually have an abundance of work and are having problems finding enough employees that can pass the required background checks. The conventions you speak of in Vegas, where I will be on Monday, is where people try to sell their products to us.

You are correct , no company would use the level of tech I described as a time clock. However, the time clock fingerprint scanners still use digital tech to compare the fingerprint information. Your fingerprints are not stored in the database as an actual picture of your fingerprint. In the cheaper models, the machine translates small sections of your fingerprint into a numerical code and checks those codes against the ones in the database for that user. This code can not be used to re-create the original fingerprint. However, due to the simplicity of the scanner, some people may actually generate the same numbers with their prints. That is the reason most of them also ask for you to type in some sore of identifying number.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by Lotiki]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lotiki
Also, I have an embedded chip. I had in injected into my wrist in order to make certain aspects of my job quicker/more convenient.

Are you for real? You should quit your job and get this surgically removed immediately. You know why they choose your wrist? Makes removal at home almost suicidal.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
You obviously have NO idea what you are talking about.

top topics

join