It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT& T Claims it cannot find enough skilled US workers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
blogs.moneycentral.msn.com...

AT&T, like many other U.S. companies claims it cannot find enough skilled American workers in the US. AT&T has sought to remedy its lack by outsourcing jobs to India. Other companies in AT&T's position have imported skilled workers into the US by obtaining a special visa (an H1b visa) that the government provides to skilled workers when employers claim there is a shortage of skilled workers.

Should companies be obliged to help fix the problem of a lack of skilled workers by providing training or work experience to workers?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I think the title should read "AT&T cannot find enough skilled workers that will work in cubicles and take $8 an hour for the privilage to do so."

Of course they could simply move their operations to areas of the country where $8 is an enticing wage.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
When SBC and AT&T merged in 2005 there were thirteen thousand layed-off in the US. I guess they all moved to pastures greener than retraining.

Speak'

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
the reason they cant find skilled people to work for them is because they mess up everythijng they touch. they bought cingular out and ever since the merge they are a crappy company. thats why cingular bought them out to fix there mess. same with sbc they bought a portion of them to fix there mess as a land line company and sold back to att because they keep messing things up. when i had cingular, you would find people who loved there jobs woking there then att bought them out and everyone wants to quit or go some where else. thats why.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
I think the title should read "AT&T cannot find enough skilled workers that will work in cubicles and take $8 an hour for the privilage to do so."

I think you hit it right there. Why pay an American $15+ per hour, provide benefits, and pay half of FICA and SS, if you can get someone for half that and not have to worry about their health, retirement or taxes?

On a side note, I work with a guy that spent 10 or so years working for AT&T. If this guy is an example of their average employee, then I wouldn't want to pay much for that either. This person has one of the slackest work ethics that I have ever seen, and I must assume that AT&T trained him to be that way.

The US is being (has been) dumbed down. At some point, even evil multi-nationals like AT&T have to find someone who not only will, but can do the job, even as badly as some of them do, and dispite the language barriers. I suppose with things that are technical, I actually would rather have to talk with someone who's first langauge is Hindi, rather than someone who's only language is Redneck Eubonics. (btw - I was born and raised in the Southeastern USA. I have every right to make the preceeding statement!)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I cannot agree with you more Ambient Sound. I have to say that Southern accents (being that I live in FL) are among the most lethal things you can do to a conversation on the phone.

Plus, lately, people from different countries have gotten substantially better at their English. At least, with my various calls...

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Stikkinikki beat us all to the answer here

I know two people who work for AT&T who are also total slackers, and one's an alchie who finally got laid off but they paid him a year severance and he drank that up in 2 months.

They both used to tell me outrageously hilarious yet sad stories about the incompetent management running their branch. Was strait out of the Dilbert comic strip.

It all goes back to, if they'd hire quality people, they'd have to pay them more, so they hire idiots and then wonder why they can't get anything done and nothing works.

I think the CEO's and board of directors of every single large corporation should have to live on $9 an hour, no benefits, after everything they own has been stripped from them, for a year... working a crappy job at THEIR company to see how it feels AND they ought to televise it 24/7 for us to all laugh at.

Come on now, admit it, it would be the hit of the season!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
You can steal a title from " Extras " an call it

" Are you having a laugh? " staring everyone redundant CEO " Such an Such "

I dunno why my head hasnt exploded due to the retarded ( no offense ) actions of this worlds companies... I mean Seriously, Id rather my head explode then have to keep hearing how me and every other john an jane doe gettin shafted day in day out, an if we speak up about it we are complainers, an slackers who just havent lived life yet....

im sick of this an sick of the deluded folks who think everything is fine, when in fact this world has entered Hellhole central....

If there is a hell...... We are living it.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I think ATTnT is evil like AOL

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
at&t is just another arsehole company trying to make the most profits by outsourcing labor same as hp and others. and you think southern accents are bad let me give you my experience . in 2005 my computer went dead would not come on at all no lights at all it was only 3 months old so i called hp cs department i got a guy in india or pakistan i told him my problem he kept saying sir what do the blue screen say. i replied nothing it won't cut on he kept asking me this over and over for an hour then said sir i am having trouble understanding you you must call back on a land line. i was on a land line finally i found that radioshack handles there repairs my powersupply bhad burnt out. the out sourcing is for 2 reasons one is dirt cheap labor and 2 to make you pissed off and give up on custumer service.

top topics

join