It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Downloading whitehouse.gov videos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Since the White House creates a .wmv playlist for their videos on teh whitehouse.gov website, without any direct method to 'download' those videos, does anybody know how I can access the White House video collection for use in a documentary?

Being official government videos, they are "supposed" to be in the public domain (for the most part). It seems like they make every effort to keep the videos from being accessible outside of "just viewing."

I wasn't sure if this was the right thread to post something like this. Moderators, please move to an appropriate forum if deemed necessary.

M.M.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Copy the address and put it in a webpage and once you've done that save the page locally then in your browser "right click" and choose "save target as". There may be other methods.

Speak'

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakEasyOne
Copy the address and put it in a webpage and once you've done that save the page locally then in your browser "right click" and choose "save target as". There may be other methods.

Speak'

That only saves the playlist file - not the actual video file. Hence my issue.

I've tried a few things to get to the original video file, but it will only allow a direct stream off their servers, not a download - "save as" gets the playlist file.

M.M.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Ah. I understand, sorry, it won't allow us to resolve the actual source address. Let me see what I can find out. Should be possible... or at least a capture. I liked the Bassmaster's one... I'd like that for posterity. Back in a bit.

Speak'

Edited to add Bassmasters test: Link

Speak'

Edited to add another test: Link

Speak'

[edit on 27-3-2008 by SpeakEasyOne]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
If you right-click "save-as" the video icon, you will get a java void() error and will not let you continue.

I can play the video, do a right-click on the tiny white spot around the video and get the properties. That can get me the video-page html file. Ican copy that file and then drop it into a new browser window - won't do anything.

So... I looked at the source code, found the .wmv link and created a new, separate html page to do a direct link of my own. That link will only download the playlist file (tiny file that forces a video stream from the whitehouse.gov servers).

So that's what I've done, where I'm at so far.

M.M.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
OK. Cagey dudes got 'em at Akmai. No problem to capture but not snag the original wmv or I haven't learned enough yet. Were you worried about picture quality? What ones were you interested in?

Speak'

Got the Bassmaster! But only a capture. I'll up it to YouTube (it'll take some time) and post a link. The rest of the videos are likely a similar deal but I really like that one. Oh I tried the wvx and asf extensions on the akmai addy. No joy on a direct download. Sorry. It should be possible though.

Speak'

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakEasyOne
OK. Cagey dudes got 'em at Akmai. No problem to capture but not snag the original wmv or I haven't learned enough yet. Were you worried about picture quality? What ones were you interested in?

Speak'

Much thanks for the input so far Speak...

There are numerous videos I want to grab - and it may be ongoing for a few months.

I can easily do captures - I have several systems at my disposal with a TVOne c2-2105 down converter connecting two of the computers - I can capture via this method easily. I was hoping to get something a bit more direct so-as not to loose quality.

While I can get some of the videos at a broadcast quality, many smaller appearances are more difficult to get. These are the ones I'll need to dig up, find and get copies of. If I have to do captures, then I do captures.

M.M.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Hey maybe contact them and ask? The site does have extensive contact points and is way more user friendly than the site my national government has. Email the VP? Way fat pipes at akmai. Holy cow I never get speeds like that. YouTube will be done processing my Bassmaster clip shortly. Best luck.

Speak'

Edited to add clip:

Speak'

top topics

join