It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt Upset at US Over Seaman Shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Egypt Upset at US Over Seaman Shooting

hosted.ap.org

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) -- Egypt's foreign minister said his country is upset by the accidental killing of an Egyptian citizen by a U.S. Navy-contracted ship in the Suez Canal, and called the incident "unacceptable," the state-run-news agency reported.

Ahmed Aboul Gheit's comments were Egypt's first official response to the incident, which occurred Monday when a navy-contracted ship fired warning shots at approaching motor boats in the Suez Canal.

"Egyptian ports are not open fields for gunfire," the Middle East News Agency quoted Aboul Gheit as saying Wednesday evening in Luxembourg. "We are upset by this incident, which is unacceptable, and we are waiting to see the results of the military prosecutor to get a complete idea for what happened."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US warship 'opens fire in Suez' Breaking News

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It sounds as if the Egyptian government isn't very pleased with our private contractors shooting civilians in their territorial waters. I can't really say I blame them especially after first denying the death.

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I was under the impression that the laws of the country applied to the waters of that country and ships were subject to them. A country's laws just can't be ignored.

Some one with solid knowledge of this might speak up. I haven't had much luck find out more on maritime law.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

That's a good question, but I don't have the answer. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the subject will pipe.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Yo, I know that this is hardly constructive, but...

I laughed way to hard about the title being about shooting seamen (pun of course)

peace

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

It was a Navy Security team. Are they private contractors?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
reply to post by LLoyd45

It was a Navy Security team. Are they private contractors?

I didn't realize they had clarified who did the shooting. Do you have a link? I would've thought a Navy Security Team would be better shots than to hit three people while firing off a warning.

top topics

join