It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon ordered to locate all US nukes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Pentagon ordered to locate all US nukes

edition.cnn.com

Defense Sec. Robert Gates has formally ordered the Air Force, Navy and Defense Logistics Agency to conduct an inventory of all U.S. nuclear weapons and nuclear weapon-related materials to make sure all items are accounted for, according to a Pentagon memo released Thursday.

The order comes in the wake of the discovery last week that four nuclear warhead fuses were accidentally shipped to Taiwan in 2006. The inventory review, which will involve thousands of items, is due to Gates in 60 days.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Weren't we supposed to be worried about Russia's loose nukes?

One more data point of our pathetic decline.

At least Russia had the excuse of a total meltdown of its ideology, government and society.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well as the former Soviet Union fell apart from within...things started to fall threw the cracks if you will.Weapons started disappearing and showing up on the black market.Then they had that issue with nukes starting to be unaccounted for....next thing you know there are nukes missing.If we are to use history as a lesson here then I would think it would be reasonable to assume the same would happen here as well.I hope not though.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

...to conduct an inventory of all U.S. nuclear weapons and nuclear weapon-related materials to make sure all items are accounted for

Now, I don't know about the rest of you but in my heart, an INVENTORY is made on stores, supermarkets, drugstores and civil industry.

If you MUST do an inventory, that's almost like saying "ok.. we don't know if all our WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTIONS are really around here anymore"...

C'mon... what the hell... I'm beginning to think that I was way more sane when I did not know any of this cr@p... Beginning to think that "ignorance" may actually be bliss (not).

Peace

[edit on 27-3-2008 by Sator]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hopefully all will be accounted. With the talk of the high level of security surrounding nuclear weapons one would be lulled in to believing all is correct. So does this indicate some one has knowledge of problems greater then what the public has heard?

I wonder if anyone even knows what the counts should be. At this point I would not be surprised if exact numbers are a bit hazy.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
And if the numbers don't match, what then?

Will they be able to resolve the discrepancy?

What if the trail of a hypothetical "missing nuke" points to someone high in the current administration?

You know, like, the one who had the "football" when the shrub was under general anesthesia?

Wasn't that right about the same time the live nukes were flown across country strapped to a bomber, "accidentally."

BTW, was it five or six?

I don't recall that question ever being definitively answered.

How many of the dirty details will even be made public?

Will they even tell us?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Better tell Gates to add 4 to the total, to account for the 4 suitcase nukes that MS-13 helped smuggle into the US 3 years ago from Mexico.

What an FN outstanding job their doing.

Oh and take the 4 fuses off the list.

Hold on I got a spiral notebook here I should just keep track of them myself and send in the totals within 24hs not 60days.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by Illahee]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I guess I just figured they would inventory their thermonuclear weapons once a month or more frequently like any respectable business would. In fact I'm sure they do. Now the question is why make a public statement that leads us to believe that they haven't been doing so? Scary...

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The military knows exactly how many nukes it has and how many fell of the truck or were "accidentally" shipped to Israel or South Korea or Taiwan.

The inventory's going to come back 100% accounted for Yes Sir! and all is safe in America again.

Just let's everybody forget about all the FU's lately and god forbid if Islamofacists microwave NYC to a crisp it was definately not a suitcase bomb from one of our boys because by god we're all accounted for Yes Sir!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I find this detail a rather puzzling inclusion:

Gates' memo, issued Wednesday, calls for all items to be accounted for by serial number.

Now, maybe paranoia is making me more than a bit "persnickity", but to my mind , Gates should have specified an actual Physical inventory, wherein the items being inventoried are accounted for and verified by physically handling them.

To merely account for an item's presence by nothing more than its serial number is to assume that the records reporting the serial numbers are up-to-date, complete, and have not been Tampered with!

Given the potentially disasterous consequences, if that assumption is wrong, does it not behoove the government to do more than just "Check the logs"?

Unless "They" already know that the logs have been altered to pass muster, and this is just a means to pacify the populace.

Meanwhile, the Vice-Prince of Darkness and his evil minions, are free to secret away their own private nuclear arsenal.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
how did this even make the press anyway? seems like this would kinda be hush hush! dont let the whole world know we are idiots and have nukes unaccounted for.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
F&S. .Thanks Gottago..I was shocked by the MSM media blip past this on today's news. WTF!?

What does this mean? Is it straight PR? Is it a pre-emptive "No, it wasn't one of ours...?"

Thanks for the post. Watching...Waiting...Hopefully, nothing.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

The order comes in the wake of the discovery last week that four nuclear warhead fuses were accidentally shipped to Taiwan in 2006. The inventory review, which will involve thousands of items, is due to Gates in 60 days.

Hmmm, two years ago these parts were accidentally sent to Taiwan. TWO YEARS AGO. And now Gates wants an inventory? Alot can be shipped to the wrong place in two years. A warhead to Afghanistan, one to Iraq, five to Israel...

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by bamaoutlaw
how did this even make the press anyway? seems like this would kinda be hush hush! dont let the whole world know we are idiots and have nukes unaccounted for.

Exactly what I thought. This is only out because BushCo wants it out. So what's the point? To acclimate the people to the thought that stray nukes are about? To get people used to the idea that mistakes with nukes are easily made? Every day I'm more sure that nukes will detonate on USA soil before long.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This is pure political posturing. If a nuke is used somewhere in the world, and questions start being asked about where the hell it came from, the US will have a nice, publicized "accounting" of not just all of our war-heads, but also of all of the component parts we've manufactured.

There are numerous scenarious, however, of why we'd do this.

A) Just good business to cover your own ass. BOOM! (NOT US!)

B) Those in power KNOW of something about to happen and are fabricating an alibi.

C) Those in power are PLANNING something and are fabricating an alibi.

D) Those in power know for a fact that we have weapons missing, and desperately need to form an alibi.

Three of the four scenarious involve cover-ups, two of which are out-right sinister (B & C). Scenario B would be like some suspect of 9/11, they have intel which points to an attack on American soil, and plan to allow it to occur so as to exploit it. Option C is, again like some suspect of 9/11, they plan to orchestrate an event, on American soil or not.

I suppose another scenario could be that we've been using our nukes, and the fact that "someone" has been using nuclear weapons is about to be leaked/discovered/etc. Well, now we'll have a nice neat list of every one of our weapons, so it couldn't possibly have been us.

Either way, 4 of 5 options point to our government either being corrupt or incompetant.

Mood: Sad

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Now that's a good idea. I wonder how much they are paid to come up with these strategic decisions?? Well it's not enough in my book!

But seriously this smacks of the we're all idiots in this administration theme. Which is used to justify their agenda. The next question is what is that agenda in the case of loose nukes.

I think I'll spend the next month in my personal bunker

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
After thinking about this a bit, I figure it is just something to make the average person feel better after the Taiwan incident. The good ole government is going to verify everything.

My belief is that if a false flag nuke event is brewing, a foreign nuke would be stolen (acquired) and used.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
I find this detail a rather puzzling inclusion:

Gates' memo, issued Wednesday, calls for all items to be accounted for by serial number.

Now, maybe paranoia is making me more than a bit "persnickity", but to my mind , Gates should have specified an actual Physical inventory, wherein the items being inventoried are accounted for and verified by physically handling them.

To merely account for an item's presence by nothing more than its serial number is to assume that the records reporting the serial numbers are up-to-date, complete, and have not been Tampered with!

When they say to account for it by serial number, they mean an actual hands-ob physical inventory. They aren't just going to be checking records and CACRLs.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by gottago
At least Russia had the excuse of a total meltdown of its ideology, government and society.

So do we. We're just yet to impliment it as legit because we're egotistical denying megalomaniacs and that's exactly the meltdown and ideology.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I don't know... CNN? it's not think CNN has any intention to anounce something that the goverment doesn't want too. Thats pretty much obvios to me by now.

What i mean is that every public anouncement is pretty much Propaganda.
It's the goverment telling the mass what He has to say, not what the mass has asked.

There are many sensible reasons anyone could imagine. The first i can think is plain fearmongering. After all it's election year. A good scare combined with some more propaganda could make a lot.

But i have this theory and it's about how the "Media" is turning lately.
Actually it starts with the figures of power. Look at Bush, Prince charles, or Hugo Chavez. Just look at them.

These people are suposed to be the faces of their people. Still, you look at pictures of them and you can belive these people are serious.
Some of them make faces at the camera. The others look like rednecks or simpletons.
And i mean no offense to the simple people, these rulers just have empty looks, some even have troubles speaking in public.

Just think of an idyllic leader and compare to the politicians you know...

My point is, how can the rulers of the worlds be so... clowny? (i'm trying not to insult them just to avoid political debate)

I feel like there is a movement in the media that is telling us: "Look at your rulers! they are a joke!".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join