It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PA. Judge Sentences 3 To Learn English

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

PA. Judge Sentences 3 To Learn English

Yahoo News

A judge known for creative sentencing has ordered three Spanish-speaking men to learn English or go to jail.

The men, who faced prison for criminal conspiracy to commit robbery, can remain on parole if they learn to read and write English, earn their GEDs and get full-time jobs, Luzerne County Judge Peter Paul Olszewski Jr. said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

Mod edit: fixed link

[edit on 27/3/2008 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
LMAO!

Not every day you here of something like this! Either learn english or you're going to jail! haha

I'm sure the ACLU will be hollering about this in no time flat.

Yahoo news
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27/3/2008 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Sound VERY reasonable to me! Maybe they wouldn't have to be so lazy and want to try and rob people if they knew the language and got normal jobs like the rest of us.....

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

I must have missed when English became the national language.

Who's to say these men weren't just criminals? I know loads of people who do speak English but still continue to rob people.

Our elected officials for one.

[edit on 3/27/2008 by Griff]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Oh, this is great news! Except for one thing... I got a 404 error when I went to the full story. Did they move it, or did you get a typo in there?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Good, I think its great and they should do it more often.

If I move to Japan I need to learn japanese, not expect the japanese speaking peoples of thier own country to learn and communicate in my language.

Our constitution and bill of rights is written in english, if you want those rights best be able to read them.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Oh cmon...noone cares if they want to speak their native language...but when you down right refuse to learn the language of the majority, and the language of the founding ancestors of this nation who built it, then DEMAND we as a nation provide you interpreters, printed material, signs, etc...to meet YOUR needs..but you don't lift a finger to meet ours, thats pretty bad. IMO

I have been around over the years...and no other country I have been to caters to Americans like we do to EVERYONE.....the only lucky part for us is we spend so much in travel and tourism that most nations make sure its easy for us to go there (i.e. speak english alittle, have english signs etc) so we spend spend spend and don't find it to inconvienent...because if we did we wouldn't go.

And these men were just criminals..they proved that...but why not make them learn the language of the country they live in and break the law in? If anything this sentence will only HELP them if you think about it!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
And these men were just criminals..they proved that...but why not make them learn the language of the country they live in and break the law in? If anything this sentence will only HELP them if you think about it!

Actually, if they don't know English, I'd assume them to be illegal aliens (since you need to be able to take the test in English to even get a greencard I believe....could be wrong). So, why not do what needs to be done and just deport them?

I just am having a hard time figuring out why make them learn english?

Or if I happen to rob someone, do I get a "get out of jail free card" if I learn Spanish?

Edit: Also, it takes years to learn another language. What happens if someone is killed by one of these men who were left go to learn english?

I say lock them up and then maybe make them learn English. Not let them go on probation.

Why the special treatment? Obviously, they broke the law.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Well I used to live in PA, about 45 minutes south of this area...my guess is they aren't mexican...they are Puerto Rican. And as most know, PR citizens ARE Americans. So they should have to know the language but MANY refuse to learn it. They are forwarded the rights of our Constitution and BOR...so if they leave the island and come here I agree, you should have to speak english...especially if your going to be a criminal.

If they are Mexicans then yes, pack em up and ship em home...

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

The defendants – Luis Reyes, Ricardo Dominguez, Kelvin Reyes-Rosario and Rafael Guzman-Mateo – all needed translators when they appeared in court to plead guilty to criminal conspiracy to commit robbery. It led to Olszewski leveling the unusual condition.

www.timesleader.com...

So, they were pleading guilty to a crime but get off to learn to speak english? I don't get it.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Didn't think of the PR angle. Good point.

I'd still like to know why the special treatment.

I can see them being ordered to learn in jail while serving their time. In which they pled guilty to.

But no. They are let go to "learn english"?

After pleading guilty to a crime?

Where do I sign up?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
how did I know this thread was going to be derailed into racist commentary?

Because I'm just that good. It's obvious this is a ridiculous sentence, and it's amazing to see how "creative" they are allowed to be now.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
True...I guess NOT locking them up sets a bad precidence....so how about lock them up and teach them english in jail? I mean these guys sit around all day with nothing to do, make them take 6 hours of english a day!!!! We have programs is prison to learn trades and skills...well now its time for some english 101

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
how did I know this thread was going to be derailed into racist commentary?

Because I'm just that good. It's obvious this is a ridiculous sentence, and it's amazing to see how "creative" they are allowed to be now.

I must have missed the racist commentary you speak of, Americans favoring the deportation of illegal aliens is not racist, its our country and they arent citizens of it... sorry.

How is it so ridiculous? To give these 3 men an opportunity to learn something that will only open more doors for them (bilingual individuals are highly desireable in the workforce), and at the same time a chance to write the wrong they committed? You act as if learning the english language from scratch is an easy task.

I don't know about you but I have a bit of an issue with the fact that 1 in 100 americans is in prison. Our taxpaying dollars support prisoners, why not teach them something that will allow them to become a benefit to society rather than a hinderance?

The crime they were tried for was CONSPIRACY to commit robbery, the act itself wasn't even committed. They got caught planning it.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by BluByWho]

[edit on 27-3-2008 by BluByWho]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BluByWho
The crime they were tried for was CONSPIRACY to commit robbery, the act itself wasn't even committed. They got caught planning it.

You make a good point.

I also see the point of helping these guys out. But, IMO, this sets a precedence that now we need to "help" everyone.

And speaking of rascism. Do blacks get a chance to learn to read if needed? And a chance to stay out of jail while doing it? Are you guys willing to help them out too?

Just a question.

I don't know. I'm still on the fence here really.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I'm willing to help anyone that is willing to accept the help. Skin color and ethnicity don't matter to me, we're all people thats pretty much it. Had they actually committed the robbery my feelings in this particular case would be different, what I picture is 3 guys sitting around trying to figure out the details of the robbery, and the judge thought instead of having them sit around and plan crimes why not have them sit around and learn english, and pass a GED so they can make money the honorable way, working. This may help them in the long run, however the task at hand for a non english speaking citizen is fairly daunting and will take a helluva commitment.

I am on the fence about the precedence it sets, what happens if these guys fail to learn english and get their GEDs?

I don't know if I would call it help, maybe opportunity would be a better word in hindsight.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by BluByWho]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Learning does not come easy to some people.
In fact, a lot of those people cant even read and write in Spanish, let alone English.
I think the judge took a good approach and wanted to put through the message that if they want to live here, learn the language. I think the judges ought to be asking these people if they are literate at all, then go from there.
Lots of these people crossing the borders have never had any schooling.

top topics

join