It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

greed is the problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The problem is we are all taught that it a "dog eat dog" world and to get anywhere in life you must be able to be smarter than the other ... but being smarter isn't what you need, "its comformity" if you do exactly as your higher-ups tell you then you are able to get to get the promotion.

I worked in retail most of my life and I could never get any high than Asst Mgr which I didn't hold long because I wouldn't agree with the kid fresh out of college telling me how a product would sell better.(Hands on experence is far better then learning from a book).

We need to stop teaching kids that one needs to be rich to get anywhere in life because this leads to greed '''I want everything."

We need to focus on the solution to the problem to solve the problem.

The solution is stated in our constitution, "ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL" If all men were payed the exact same no matter what title they have,Then noone could be greedy.A person would only go into a field they truely liked and enjoyed not because of the money they would make.If they wanted extra money they would have to work longer days and not handed it to them because of their title.

If anyone should get extra money it should be the farmers,for the simple fact we could not live without food ...

Some ppl will say this is thinking is similar to communisum but the government knows as long as we are divided then they have the upper hand in controlling us."Divide and concour"

We Americans must come together as ppl of America and rebuild the land to the standards of the constitution.Lets rebuild it so the government officials get minimum wage like everyone else so those ppl cannot become corrupt as we the citizens will have the right to look into their private life (bank accts to see if they are making more than they should,ie bribes)then we all will be on a level playing field.

The only other solution would be throw away money completely and teach our children that our reason to be on the earth is to better mankind and not use money... A doctor comes upon an accident he treats the ppl without asking for a dime saying,"It was my civil duty to help." .. Is it not his civil duty to help if he is in a E.R. room also.. A person only goes into volunteer work because it satisfies to them to help thieir fellow mankind.

if anyone can come up with a better solution im all ears

[edit on 27-3-2008 by rtcctr]

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3/27/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I agree with you but i disagree with the source of the problem. i believe ego is the root of all evil and was what led people to create and abuse money the way is has been up until today. through recent studies ive come to the conclusion that "satan" is in fact the ego and that the original sin we are taught today is in fact a lie designed to program a guilt complex into people in order to make them feel evil from the day they are born and make them feel the need to redeem themselves of their so called "guilt" i suspect the original sin was in fact the development of the ego and was what offended god so greatly to begin with

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
"Greed" is not the problem. Love is the problem.

We love our familes and children and friends and want them to be safe and happy and healthy. In order to do that, we pay lots of taxes to keep our sewage out of the streets, and our streets well lit, and our highways maintained, and our police force and army strong.

On an individual level, we spend a lot of money to keep our old people alive for just a few more months. We buy huge, gas-guzzling SUVs to drive them to soccer practice. We buy safe food in land-filling plastic containers, and computers and TVs to keep everybody online and entertained. It's not a matter of wanting to "get rich" for its own sake. It's to better the lives or our loved ones.

Of course, for every good thing, there's a negative thing that tags along with it. And after a while, those accumulate. Is it worth it? Maybe, maybe not.

But it's not greed. It's love. That's why it's so hard to combat it.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

I agree. Greed is part of the problem, but very few people actually see providing things for their own as being greedy, even if the costs to those that aren't their own people outweighs the benefits that their own people acquire.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
All men arent created equal. If that were the case we'd be born into the same everything under the same conditions. Even in sex we arent created equal cause some women got raped and some didnt.

As for ego, no, ego is proper. It's having to high of an ego that's a root problem because it got ppl forcing what they deem as important onto others from a superficial perpective. What on the outside to you is a superficial curse that certain ppl make out as a gift/blessing.

There should be assisted suicide facilities, safe prostitution, etc but is aint all because of someone's too high of an ego. The constituion should have said in clear that we aint each other and that we shouldnt call on what we may think is best for each of us best for others to an extremely high ego.

As for money it's either money or slaves as the two ways to get the world to function and go 'round.

Ppl are greedy because the furture is uncertain. Meaning they dont know how secure they'll be come time to retire when they dont know how society's economy will be at then.

That's just my two cents.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by Mabus]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The problem is lack of freedom.
If all men were truly free than it would not matter what one person makes and not another. The State could not create and manipulate society into slavery through consumerism if we were free. If we were free we woul dnot be beholden to them.

Our entire economic structure right on down to what the lowliest of us can be paid is controlled by a single group of individuals. The amount of money that is available on the market is controlled by them, as is the property or land.

We cannot be property owners in this or any other civilized country in the world, it is decided how we may use our property, our producitive abilities, and even the product of our labor is taxed and controlled.

If we were free then a man could make his livign how he sees fit. If we were free we would see the Consumer Market collapse from it's own exuberance without the State to support it.

I do not think the solution is creating a giant, omnipotent , Governing structure to ensure that all of us are paid equally. I think the solution is to tear down the giant, omnipotent, Governing structure to ensure that all of us can be what we choose to be.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Mabus

posted on 27-3-2008 at 03:45 PM
All men arent created equal. If that were the case we'd be born into the same everything under the same conditions. Even in sex we arent created equal cause some women got raped and some didnt.

my point is if we were all brought up under the same conditions then noone would think they were better.. ie taking the ego problem out of the equation

Nohup

is it out of love that you want your elderly to live longer or greediness,My mother had COPD and out out my love for her I let her die and not suffer the pain of living with it,I was not so that greedy that I wanted her to suffer so I could spend more time with her

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

If we were all brought up under the same conditions nothing would ever happen. No diversity, no adversity, no spice of life.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtcctr
is it out of love that you want your elderly to live longer or greediness,My mother had COPD and out out my love for her I let her die and not suffer the pain of living with it,I was not so that greedy that I wanted her to suffer so I could spend more time with her

I think greed is generally defined as wanting to have more money or wealth than one needs. It's kind of a stretch to define wanting to keep somebody alive as "greedy," even if it's for one's personal benefit.

Also, I think hospital expenditure statistics show that you are in the minority when it comes to spending a lot of money to keep people alive in the last three months of life or so.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Greed comes from the feeling of "there's never enough". From Lack.

Lack is the problem.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I do not agree that love is the root of all evil, how can you even say that?
Would you like to live in a cold world where noone gives a damn about anyone else?
I feel so priviliged to have a loving family backing me whatever the situation, and I'd do anything for them.
I think what your getting at is that attachment is the root of all evil.
If we weren't so caught up in ourselves, attached to reputation and chasing things we don't really need, I believe we'd be able to see straight. This would solve many problems as isn't 'evil' as we're talking about here just a distortment of the mind and thinking clearly.
Some claim that it's 'human nature' to be greedy and do things like hurt eachother but surely this can't be true, as what good would that do to the human race?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Yep, attachement is the exact same as the fear of lacking something.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Yes IMHO Avarice it the worst of the seven sins.

It is a disgusting human trait, a trait that we all are tainted with.......!

top topics

join