It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW: AboveTopSecret.com is Tweeting on Twitter!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Over the years, we've had lots of queries from members and even well-informed outsiders as to our overall lack of presence on mainstream "Social Networks" such as MySpace, FaceBook, Friendster, etc. For the most part, I've never come across a useful feature, function, or reason for ATS to adopt one such service over another. However, after some preliminary experiments, I believe Twitter provides our community with a unique additional method to expand awareness of our topics, our members, and what our members are thinking.

For those who are unaware of Twitter, it's a slightly different twist on the concept of social networking that encourages participants to contribute short blurbs about what they're currently thinking and doing. It's gaining popularity in many circles, especially since it integrates mobile devices, IM, and email into the mix. To many, this might seem excessive, if MySpace were coffee, Twitter is like crystal meth in comparison! But then... it hit me... the genius of something like Twitter may not be what one person is thinking/saying/doing, it's more likely going to be what a large group of like-minded people are saying, doing, thinking, and hoping for.

The AboveTopSecret.com Experiment With Twitter

AboveTopSecret.com On Twitter

AboveTopSecret.com and our Twitter Friends

As you can see, we've developed a method to automatically feed Twitter new topics that quickly generate several replies. We've been at it for a couple days as part of our initial test.

And as you can also see, a few astute ATS members have noticed our Tweets (that's what a Twitter update is called) and have decided to follow our updates, and we're following them. The resulting with-friends page is an aggregate list of everyone's tweets.

Hrm... now that is where ATS can take this concept and push it someplace truly different.

The AboveTopSecret.com Firehose Of Consciousness on Twitter

Imagine, if you will, an AboveTopSecret.com & Friends Twitter page with dozens, or even hundreds of ATS members providing one or two tweets a day, along with the regular hot new topics. This becomes especially valuable if your contributions are meaningful and not the typical "waiting for pizza dude" type tweets that seem to be prevalent. We'd end up with a running relevant commentary of what's important to us for all the world to see. A firehose of what we think, as we're thinking it.

Starting The Experiment

To encourage our members to join and participate with relevant tweets, just do one of the following:

1) Already On Twitter? Follow our page, then U2U me with your Twitter username.

2) Join Twitter With Your ATS Username then follow our page

3) If your ATS Username is taken on Twitter use a different name to join Twitter, follow us, then U2U me your username

We'll award ATS members that follow our page with 5,000 ATS points. (Not to worry, membership in Twitter requires a minimum of information.)

If all goes well, the ATS & Friends page will be a stunning stream of consciousness on a fast-rising social network.

DISCLAIMER
There is no relationship between Twitter and The Above Network, LLC. This idea is purely born out of us noticing the potential that exists with integrating such a service. If any relationship between us and Twitter were to develop because of this initiative, we'll be sure to provide full disclosure.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I was going to ask about this, I saw the link in threads and joined up because I saw that Asala and ATS were members of the site. (obvious high endorsements) So who is ATS on twitter?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'm not giving Twitter my email password.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
I'm not giving Twitter my email password.

You can pass that step.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
My work firewall blocks Twitter. No social networking sites allowed. So, guess I'll have to wait until I get home.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Ah ha! Good call. I missed the little teeny tiny "skip" there at the bottom.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Feel free to follow me AsalaATS and ill be more than happy to help you find your feet on this, Im pretty much still learning myself so im sure together we can all bump heads,

Its a pretty big thing as more and more places are using this, Including news sites,

[edit on 27-3-2008 by asala]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

I to saw this a few days ago, clicked the link, saw a beautiful woman and obviously knew it was you, but aside from clicking on a few names I recognized like you and niteboy...

I was utterly lost.

I could tell I was not alone, several ATS members had lines like "trying to figure this out" ..

So I have to ask. What the hell is a twitter????

Whats the point... what are we supposed to do? .. Is it a blog, news site, networking site....

Help me Asala! I am confused.......

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I joined a few days ago.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Rock its like a networking site,

It’s getting pretty big and seems like the next big thing out there on the net,

The Aim for ats is

Imagine, if you will, an AboveTopSecret.com & Friends Twitter page with dozens, or even hundreds of ATS members providing one or two tweets a day, along with the regular hot new topics. This becomes especially valuable if your contributions are meaningful and not the typical "waiting for pizza dude" type tweets that seem to be prevalent. We'd end up with a running relevant commentary of what's important to us for all the world to see. A firehose of what we think, as we're thinking it.

You can keep up to date with all the main things going on here, Keep in touch with your fellow members and also post important things that come up,

Best way is to join, feel your way around for a bit (that’s what we are all doing) and then we can get a better understanding,

It’s hard to explain if your not on there and trying out the different features,

So jump on click ATS and follow you will see pages of updates,

There is also ways to get updates on your mobile ect Just looking in to that more at the sec...

What is Twitter?:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
What is a Tweet, why is it called a Tweet and are those little comments on the profile, are those tweets? ..

I don't like the word Tweet.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I think I did it wrong.. I have no friends. Do I have to join through ATS? I just typed Twitter.com and signed up

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
U2U'd the overlord and waiting to get added...

anyone wants to add me my twittername is

more_serotonin

cheers guys,

MSP

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
this sounds like a way to "Inundate' and 'swarm' all over this other site
with ...as the OP succintly says.... is Our thoughts, Our topics, etc

i'm sure that an 'ATS' declaration in one's moniker will bode well for what ammounts to free advertizing...

S-P-I-N...

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Added you Rock and More,

Click home and you should be able to add something and see me.

Also see my little tabs on the right, You will see ATs, lick then look on its pages and click follow

Remember to lick FOLLOW (Under the pics)

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
i joined today. hope this idea works. it already looks like there are several members that joined.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Asala,

I can see you when I click on the following you page thing, but I'm not too sure about how it all works - still figuring it all out, sure we'll get there though

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
t.atsmix.com... - Ufo Filmed by Airplane 2oo8 about 1 hour ago from web
t.atsmix.com... - World's 6th Great Extinction Already Happening!! about 2 hours ago from web
t.atsmix.com... - Humans - the most developed civilization in the universe... about 3 hours ago from web

Ok that is part of what i saw on there. So what exactly is it? Like what type of information how is it different from here? How does an article or thread make it to twitter?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Ok, if you become a memeber does all your threads go on this page?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
From what i can tell at this moment, Every 2 hours or something Twitter is fed the most up to date threads ect, within a certain time frame,

thats something though SO will answer for you i am sure

Ok, if you become a memeber does all your threads go on this page?

Nope Shar,

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join