It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think the world ends 2012?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Well I want your true story.

Do you think the world is going to end or something big is going to happen?

Or...

Is it just ANOTHER over hyped event?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I honestly do not know what will happen. Here is what I do know, in many religions and faiths death does not always mean death. Escpecially in many older belifes, death means change. I do not think the the world is suddenly going to explode on dec 21 2012. I recently watched a show on history or science channel (sorry dont remember which) that was discussing this date. Some of the speakers claim that they believe the poles on earth have shifted in the past and that Alaska was once on the equador (sorry for misspelling). They went on stating that they believe that on this precise date there will be an anomoly involving the line of the earth and sun in the solar system. Stating further that on that date the earth might again reverse its poles.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I'm not really sure what to believe,one thing is for sure i DON'T think the world will end,thats my gut feeling.
I've heard numerous different versions of the mayan calender ending on the 21st of december 2012 (correct me if i'm wrong),some talk of a change in cycle that happens every so often and some talk of the world ending in some way.
To be honest anything could happen

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
My opinion is that 2012 will be the start of new things for mankind, i dont believe the world is going to end at all, we will have an almost new sky to look at, right on the edge of the milky way,

But the human race is a fickle ole sod, because doomsdayers are saying its the end people are getting worried, i can say it is ok to worry everyone is going to anyhow it is human nature, i also know there is nothing we can do to change whatever it is, so wasting what we have left crying and hiding is not doing justice to ourselves, enjoy life, enjoy your families, enjoy the world, do the things you have always wanted to do.

So pull u a chair break out a beer or a soft drink if you dont partake and ingest the beauty of everything with all those you love. hold the ones you love and enjoy their company, dont let them worry esp your children.

Break the mould enjoy enjoy enjoy.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by xweaponx
Do you think the world is going to end or something big is going to happen?

No, no no no, the world is not going to end in 2012. In fact, this world will be saved come 2012 ... saved from the soon to be decimated human species that seeks to destroy it all instead. Wait, you'll see. So, fear not, everything (world wise) will be coming up roses, come 2012.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The world ends everyday for lots of people, and no doubt will end for plenty in 2012... however, for most people it will continue.

I don't doubt that we have some tricky times ahead - scary times ahead, but not the end of the world.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by xweaponx

I guess if it were to end, we wouldn't have much need for time travel threads, at least from the future anyhow. So... my gut is telling me to count on things hanging in there from 2012 on.

Having a huge change on the other hand wouldn't be all bad (E.T.'s landing for us all to see or something like that) sometimes good things can come from change, long as us little people are around in bunches to keep the "leadership" honest.

Only one way to find out! waiting and watching... Tick Tock!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
all these 2012 doomsday threads have one thing in common.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
www.greatdreams.com...

The astronomer Philip Plait has stated very clearly that the Mayan calendar does not end in 2012 at all, that it is like the odometer on your car, as each section of the odometer reaches 9 and then clicks over to 0, the next number to it starts a new cycle, so that when all the numbers again reach 0 all the way across the odometer - the last number will change from 1 to 2 and the new cycle starts all over again.

The only thing that is sure concerning 2012 is that a lot of hucksters are many tons of money on non-sense books that are being sold to very gullible people.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Is the Earth going to end in the year 2012? The answers is no.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Throughout history there have always been fears of 'the end of the world' - some major and some minimal. The end may been foretold because of an impending date, an ancient prophecy, the chaotic writings of a madman, religious fears or just the natural changing of planetary alignments.

Of all these 'events that never came to pass' throughout history, one things holds true... we are still here. And once again, 2012 will come. 2012 will go. It will be just be another period in history to pass without any real impact on humanity.

It is more exciting to jump on an 'end of the world' bandwagon than it is to continue living a normal, mundane life.

M.M.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obliv_au
all these 2012 doomsday threads have one thing in common. . . .

Thank goodness for the unprepared volunteers, ha. For a while there I thought we might have to pick and choose those that would survive and those that won't. Add those that weren't prepared in together with those hoping and expecting all that rapture judgment day excitement, and we just might have enough to evict ... err, I mean "send", yes enough to send to heaven. (
) The non-make-believers that were prepared will inherit the Earth. Cool.

(snickering...) God bless folks like you, your supreme sacrifice will not be forgotten . . . at least for a couple of years, we survivors promise.

Seriously, another oil war draws much closer now. When it begins, the flow of oil will come to a trickle. There will be an immediate run on everything . . . cash, food, fuel. Banks will close. Stores will empty quickly. Panic will break out. Everything will grind to a halt except insanity. Lawless mayhem will follow. And then you will wish you had been prepared enough to ride out the ensuing collapse. Rupture. Whatever.

Apparently many of you have all been programmed to do yourselves in. Or at least programmed to allow yourselves to be done in. Watch, your greatest fear will not be any world elite rulers and their armies, nor space aliens, or GM foods, or pollution. It will be your hungry insane neighbor. Or your neighbors neighbor. It's all primed to go at any moment now. It could start next Monday and all be over by Friday.

Wait, we'll see who's crazy as all this plays out, as planned.

Anyhow, that's what I think this time. We'll see, eh?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
No, no, the world ended with the Y2K bug... wait, no, actually it didn't...

I know! It was when Haley's Comet returned! No, wait, that was only for that weird cult...

2012 will see changes, but we have always seen changes. Nope, the earth will continue spinning happily in space. Now us humans might see some strange things that science didn't see coming. I for one plan on being awake and watching the news that day. Maybe it'll be as exciting as 1-1-2000 and I can get some needed rest.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The earth will not end on 12-21-2012.Our preception of reality will change.
Energy never dies it just changes form.Everything is energy,therefore it cannot die or be destroyed.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Nothing bad is going to happen at all in 2012. In fact I believe that we will have a great future and thats the years where we get a fresh start. We will all go to work, school and do our activities as usual.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
God I hope so!
At least I hope something monumental happens. I dont think I could stand the anticipation of yet another doomsday event after 2012.
From what I have read, the year 2085 has already started to be bandied about as a back up. Unless modern medicince keep me going until I am 115 years old something better happen soon 'coz I dont want to miss it.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
My vote: Just another stupid hyped up conspiracy theory.

Throughout time and seemingly without end there has been nuts yelling "It's the end of the world!!!". I'm sure if you look hard enough there'd be a conspiracy theory that says the world is ending for any given year, or at least every 5 years on average.

Of course there'll always be the possibility that these people will eventually be right, but I doubt it.

Edit: I wanted to add that I dislike the comments about 'huge change' too. It seems to me like it's almost damage control now that we're in a position to see how many times conspiracy theorists have cried wolf like this before.

I know some people actually believe something will happen, but I think it's almost an excuse for them to still rant about a potential end of mankind but not be totally discredited when it doesn't happen. What do I mean?

If you say "It's the end of the world, I'm SURE of it!", then it doesn't happen, you're pretty much permanently marked to be a fool forever after. If you say "Oh big change will happen!", then this can mean anything. It's perfectly convenient. You can say "The change could be abductions, ascension, a plague on humanity, the world exploding, a meteor, a pole shift!"... You get the idea.

Then if that doesn't happen, it's ok. You can still say "But there WAS a big change!" because there is pretty much a big change in at least some aspect of society at any time. "OH that was the year China was finally ranked more powerful than the US!" or whatever. If I'm making sense, I just think its a highly dubious method of crying wolf and living to cry another day when you're wrong. I should say people taking the most advantage of this are probably selling books though or whatnot.

I wouldn't bother listening to them.

[edit on 28/3/08 by Duality]

[edit on 28/3/08 by Duality]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by xweaponx

My 2 Cents....

The following is what I've distilled out of much reading on this event, from the absurd to the scientific. This all comes from my own opinions and conjectures, my details may be fuzzy and I'm not at home to provide any links, so please just take my statement as a basis to add to our discussion and try to go easy on me

Our solar system is not in the Milky Way, it is in a dwarf galaxy that has been in the process of being assimilated into the Milky Way, and has been for quite some time. Approximately every 26,000 years or so our solar system rotates in our dwarf galaxy and crosses through the equatorial disc that is the rotating majority of the Milky Way. When this occurs our planetary system comes under additional gravitational forces. In addition, as we approach the Milky Way's equatorial region we experience increased cosmic, gamma, X-ray, etc bombardment that, as has been the case since the Milky Way captured our galaxy, directly effects everything from our sun's solar patterns, the planets magnetosphere's and the planets atmosheric conditions to name a few. Since around 1980 it has been noted that the earths magnetic pole has been steadily weakening. I believe that this is a result of this increasing bombardment. Evidence abounds that magnetic pole reversals have occured many times in earths history, so if it occurs while we're here it just happens to be our great misfortune to be around when it does. The steady weakening of our magnetosphere reduces the shielding that it provides from the ever present, and increasing, bombardment of energetic and non-energetic particles from sources in space. An endless list could be created with what effect this has on our ecosystem and it's biodiversity. Accelerated extinctions of plant and animal life, global warming (yes, thats right- the greenhouse gases humans produce don't help the situation but the root cause is a natural event we have no control over), atmospheric changes in regards to weather systems- from droughts to flooding, the list goes on. In the last quarter of 2012 our sun will reach its solar maximum. This event accompanied with our traversing the equatorial disc of the Milky Way, and a not-unheard-of but rare relative alignment of the sun and our gas giants will place earth in a zone that should make it a memorable experience for us all. We are all riding right into our own destiny and we have no control to stop this ride to get off.

This in not a mass extinction event. From what I've read we cross this equatorial region every 26000 years or so. It's interesting that scientists have found through DNA analysis that all humans alive today can be traced genetically to a common group of ancestors from as recent as 25000-40000 years ago. A bottleneck occurred around this period and humanity nearly became extinct. I believe that this was the last time we went through this cosmic event. We hear of the additives and so forth that are being used to create designed contrails from aircraft. Is it possible that this is being done to create an artificial shield to further protect us from an increase in radiation? How about the HAARP systems in service around the world, and Australia's parliament recenetly providing funding for their own.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Well i think the world will not end...
It will change, and not for better...

Maya prophecy and alot of other scary strategies, are use to scare the
hell out of everybody, if populations are terrified, it will be easier to
manipulate populations of the world , to accept the globalisation process, called in
reality, The New World Order agenda, with a goal, of creating a One World
Govenment before 2033.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Theresmoretoit

From what I've read we cross this equatorial region every 26000 years or so.

Actually...

The sun oscillates through the plane of the galaxy with an amplitude of about 230 light-years, crossing the plane every 33 million years.

The Galactic Environment of the Sun

Two crossings ago, a rock made the dinosaurs go away.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join