It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Top Ten Ancient Weapons

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
O.k. The first time this was brought up no one even came close to actually convincing me that they knew ANYTHING about ancient weapons!
The single most effective weapon in ancient combat was the norse hand axe! It was the most versitile weapon of ancient times. It was weilded in hand to hand combat and was an effective missle weapon as well!
Do a little research on this subject BEFORE speaking next time!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Aye it would help with a little research. Since you say "norse" hand axe, presumably you are talking about viking equipment. That is not in the ancient era, technically.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
BroonStone.

I agree...to a point. I have a viking-style bearded axe and, though, I haven't gotten to use it in such an instance, I could see the devastation you refer to. It was a favorite weapon of the Irish as well, who probably picked it up from the Vikings in all the raiding that went on from about 500AD to 1100AD.

Welcome to ATS!

[edit to add photo]

[edit on 3/27/2008 by Cuhail]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

I believe you are right as to where the Irish got the axe, But the axe has been around in various forms since man has been making tools, inovations in the use of metals would lend better axes and so forth, trade between peoples was common even people who preyed on each other. Fight one day and trade the next!
The way I look at the axe is this; If you can use it to fell trees and chop wood then it is even more effective on flesh!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by merka

Viking is a general term used for a LOT of different peoples! and it actually means "raiders" so it is not a race of people at all but what they were known for. as far as the meaning of "ancient" to me 1500 years ago is ancient. and there is evidence of "ancient Vikings" as far east as India and the Orient in gereral, maybe as far back as B.C. I will try and dig up some links to support this.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Japanese Naginata. A folded sword on a stick, weapon of choice for yamabushi. Only thing more effective (depending of course on your opponent) in my opinion is the long bow. If the archer is far away that is.

Edit: Depending on the style of naginata the blade can be broad, chinese style, or a thin sword type.

Also the little known sheet of death. Chainmail slightly squared sheet you hold at one end, having razor edges worked onto one end. You can entrap oncoming arrows, blades, limbs, then with a flick of the ankles and wrists, send the razor edge sailing into your adversary. I made this one up, and I always thought it was very versatile. (wear it as a cloak or something, then bring it into use quickly).

[edit on 27-3-2008 by depth om]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
So, BroonStone, what brings you to ATS? It can't just be to tell us about the axe in history.
I am assuming you have an interest in ancient weaponry. I myself have the same interest, but, usually take my weapon-related stuff to MyArmory. There are a ton of experts in the field and is a great place to see personal collections.

You see, I own quite the collection myself having about 20 carbon steel, battle ready swords, axes and daggers and a few leftover favorites in Stainless(yuck!) from the days before I knew what to look for.

But, I want to know what brought you to ATS?

Well met!
Cuhail

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by the way

Oh, I am not so much mad as frustrated at the fact that some of the weapons in the last thread were ridiculous as far as their roll in ancient combat.
gun powder and "grenades" did not come in to wide spread use until the late Medieval period.
The axe, sword bow and spear are the MOST relevant in a disscusion about the top ten anything else is up for open debate as far as I am concerned.
Did you mention hand to hand combat? I believe I would fair far better in a battle with a sword, shield and axe than a bow or spear.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
As you have no link to the other post its hard to see why you seem so angry about this? Ok, we have established you like the norse axe-what are the other nine best weapons? I would happily take you on at range with either a compound short bow or the english longbow or at close quarters with a properly folded japanese samurai katana or the humble spear! Honorable mention must also go to the machete or parang as it is also a formidable weapon. By the way the chinese had already invented grenades,guns and gunpowder,flamethrowers and the crossbow(4-3 B.C!) by the time the "norse" were using that axe so maybe its you who needs to-"Do a little research on this subject BEFORE speaking next time!
"

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

I came here looking for intelligent conversation and debate. I love to discuss conspiracy theories, aliens and alien tech, ancient civ. and government cover ups.........
I know a little about ancient weapons and collect steel myself but more importantly than collecting, I use my steel in live combat. So I do know about combat first hand. and I have scars to prove it.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BroonStone

Live training? Blunt edge or true edge? I practice live hand to hand because you don't want to get hit and actually perform better, but for weapons I only spar wood. (staves and swords). Sounds cool though, more people need to keep the arts of combat movement alive! Remember where you came from you know!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I have to vote spear.

Arguably the second weapon ever (after club) and still used as an issued military weapon right into the 20th century as the German Calvary lance of the World War. In fact, if you were to count the bayonet mounted to a rifle as a form of spear due to it's direct lineage, they are still issued as a weapon to this day. My vote for number 1 ancient weapon goes to Spear
In fact heres a list.

1.Spear; see above
2.Club; simple to make and use, wildly effective, used for over 80,000yrs
3.Knife;simple to make and use, wildly effective, tons of other uses. 50,000+ yrs
4.Axe; any type, simple, effective, multi-functional. 10,000+ yrs
5.Bow; Range, power, hunting, etc.5,000-10,000+ yrs
6.Sword; good martial weapon, used mainly by the rich or well supplied, requires more extensive training and costlier material than other melee weapons. 5,000+ yrs.
uh...
Well I guess that covers Ancient Weapons. Since most others are a form of something on the list alreayd, ie. Javelin, Lance, Pike, etc.. are just a form of spear. Broadswords, longswords, Claymores, are swords etc etc.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Well if you're bringing armour into this now it makes it more difficult! Obviously an axe or sword will beat a bow at close range-but you mentioned the axe was good for hand to hand or ranged-so on its own terms (ie. at distance) the bow wins. The english longbow was known to kill men in PLATEMAIL!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by the way

Men in platemail were also known to kill men in plate mail. I change my list!

Men are the number one weapon of ancient times.

Followed by the spear..

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
As far as guns, flamethrowers and grenades are concerned, I am not talking about theoretical weapons invented on paper. I know the Chinese had gun powder but I don't believe it was used frequently in combat.
Flame throwers did not see wide spread use in combat till w.w.2 did they?
Please enlighten me on this subject and grenades andguns as well.
My knowledge is not that extensive when it comes to Oriental gun powder.
as far as your comment about doing research before speaking I NEVER ever mentioned the Oriental use of gun powder and flame throwers.
As far as I am concerned Oriental gun powder has no relevance to my first comment at all!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Tinhatman

Yea, the human brain is the root of any death or damage the body deals, so I guess technically, it will always be the one true weapon.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
If you want to talk about defense then the shield is a very important item!
A shield can block arrows and effectively render a bowman USELESS in combat. That is a one on one senario or maybe a small group of swordsman versus bowmen. Now if you want to talk mass combat then the bow is a very effective weapon due to sheer numbers. but a bow or two would not stop me if I have a shield. no way!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
There we go. The summary of it all.

A weapons effectiveness is only as good as the hand that weilds it.

Keep sparring Broon! You too depth. Keep history alive and have fun doing so. I'm not so much the combat enthuseist (sp?), but, I do spar around enough with my brother in law who spent 10 years in combat sword training, to know how to use any of my swords well enough to defend myself against home-invaders...which, honestly, is the only reason I can think of to blood them.

Cuhail

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tinhatman

I have to agree with this! Men have been killing since there have been men.
Regardless of what each one held in his hands.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

The original post was about the ten best ancient weapons-you listed one, i added some you may have not known about to the list. You're right in that the flamethrower was only rediscovered and used in "modern times" but there is plenty of documented evidence that all the weapons i mentioned were used in combat and warfare in ancient times,therefore they are ancient weapons. I am confused about your confusion!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join