It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EADS wins £13bn RAF tanker deal

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

I know i haven't seen any a330's... everything is very narrow body, like the tristar or the bac111... or a herc - which isn't narrow at all!. and everything i've seen having fuel bladders installed has been from omega or oman. I have seen a dutch herc and an raf herc there but i didn't see what was going on with them so can't comment

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

we get two distinct bac111's in to FR, one is fitted with passenger seats and is white with a black stripe through the windows and insignia, spends most of its time by the passenger terminal - the other is plain white with just an omani flag on the back. the plain one has something inside which looks like fuel bladders to me, i've seen them being removed. I won't say 100% thats what it is, but thats certainly what they look like!

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Actually the Tristar is also a widebody and this too only carries fuel below the passenger deck in the tanker variant, just the same as the KC-330 does.

Until recently I think the RAF Tristars were the only widebody tankers in service outside the USA so any tankers you did see would be narrowbodies.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

look, i'm only trying to say what i see, i'm not a plane expert, i know a bit. i repair electronics for a living, but i work in the same area as FR and i see stuff and i sometimes talk to their engineers.

i don't ask too many questions because in this day and age thats like asking for someone to come break down your door at 5am.

the tristar does not look very wide to me, i've never travelled on one, i've never seen inside one properly, all i see is stuff coming in and out in big rubbery bundles from the passenger door, followed an hour or so later by a whole bunch of aluminium sections... i put two and two together through a set of binoculars.

Ok, i've gone and done some more research. what i see is apparently NOT a tristar it a DC10, this one:

www.airliners.net...

I apologise for leading anyone up the garden path, and i should have checked my facts more carefully, but if anyone else had bothered this was not hard to find. someone could have corrected me.

end of discussion. i will not bother this thread agaisn.

[edit on 30/3/08 by rat256]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
And we're just trying to explain to you how it works. No one is jumping on you or anything, we're just explaining.

Narrowbody planes are like the 757 or 737. Widebody are the L1011, 747, DC-10, 767, etc.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by rat256

Woah there ratty! I'm finding your input fascinating I'm not doubting what you are seeing. You are, after all, actually there, unlike me.

All I'm doing is using elimination to try to reason out which planes you were seeing and trying to explain which sort of tankers do and don't carry fuel the way you have seen. I don't expect you to know every plane in the sky in intimate detail, thats for nerds like me.

You might think the Omega DC-10 was easy to ident from the picture, but you have actually seen it. I was using guesswork based on the info you were giving me. If you thought you were seeing a Tristar I had no reason to go looking for something else. The DC-10 and Tristar are the same size and very similar in appearance and so easy to confuse.

Talking about widebodies and narrowbodies might not have helped. A widebody still has a circular fuselage, just like a narrowbody but is bigger so that while a narrowbody might seat 5 or 6 abreast, a widebody would seat 10 or more, you'd have no reason to suspect the difference from any sort of distance so please don't feel bad, or that I was picking on you.

The DC-10 in the picture is a widebody, so my guess there was wrong. *as far as I know* these also carry fuel under the passenger floor, unless they are different internally from the USAF KC-10 verson.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by waynos]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join