It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO Hunters (History Channel) - Disinfo or legit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
After watching each episode of UFO Hunters on History Channel, I am left with more questions about the show than answers about the cases they’ve investigated. The total lack of scientific methods aside, the show seems to focus on “fringe theories” regarding specific cases. Last night’s episode was the capper. Funny how they never explained why they have 5 sets of criteria that determine a “UFO Vortex” exists. I’m not saying they don’t. I would just like to know why “proximity to a military base” qualifies? Hell, given their criteria I’d suggest that the entire city of Bagdad is a vortex then. It meets their criteria doesn’t it? Magnetic anomalies (DU), Sacred ground etc.

I do appreciate at least an attempt by History Channel to give some air-time to this important subject but is this show really doing any good at furthering investigative initiatives or is it simply pushing people away given their lack of focus etc?

I personally think this show is nothing but a disinformation campaign designed to make any serious researchers into the subject or specific sightings look like “tin foil hat conspiracy nuts”. This then suits a higher purpose which is to discredit legitimate sightings and evidence as simply the ramblings of a few nut-jobs.

I had high hopes for this show. I’m sorry it’s let me down. ATS is still, by far, the best resource for any data regarding the subject that I’ve come across.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This is just one of many disinfo programs on The History Channel. Its all been downhill since Sightings went off the air. The show leaves much to be desired it is as though they spend more time rationalizing their own legitimacy rather than getting down to the real incidents. Thanks for the thread its like you read my mind.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
...designed to make any serious researchers into the subject or specific sightings look like “tin foil hat conspiracy nuts”.

I'd say most of the UFO-chasers out there do the exact same thing. The History Channel is just trying to make a sensational program from a boring topic, a topic that rarely (if ever) has decent evidence.

Real science isn't interesting to watch, but you actually get to learn something.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
UFO Hunters is a rip off from Ghost Hunters.
It's a pretty lame show. Just my opinion .. but it's lame.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies.

Sensationalism? YES. Does it work? IMHO it does not.

I truly wish they would have copied Monster Quest in their approach and methodology. I really enjoy that show and definitely offer that up as an example of a "serious" show about research.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I was truly disappointed by the 'vortex' episode. They spent a lot of time blabbing about what looked like a picture of a two-stage bottle rocket. Some of the hosts seemed to want to be taken seriously, but the guy with the sunglasses (he wore them indoors too - and I don't think they were for cataract post-op) just ruined it with pseudo-scientific blather every time he opened his mouth. I want to see someone try to get at the TRUTH. They offered nothing that was even remotely convincing. Too bad. "Please recalibrate and try again" guys.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I will vote lame as well. These guys wouldn't find UFO evidence if one ran them over. The guy with the glasses is annoying and someone needs to tell him he looks like an idiot wearing sunglasses inside and a heavy black jacket when everyone else seems pretty warm in their short sleeve shirts.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I was just searching for "Bill Birnes" to see if anyone else found that sunglass clad jackass annoying too, and to my delight ATS came up.

I don't think this is a disinfo show, just horrible horrible TV. Bad editing. Bad science. Bad cast.

That fat long haired jackass with a "lab" just cracks me up. He never proves anything.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Okay, look. The History Channel doesn't engage in disinformation in any of theeir shows, including UFO Hunters. If by ripping off Ghost Hunters, you mean that they use scientific methods to prove or disprove existence of whatever, then yes, it is. Otherwise, it's completely different subject matter. It is an ignorant statment. Anyway, anyone who is left disappointed about shows on the History Channel is generally one-sided. You watch something expecting to get "answers", but first of all, they're not usually going to be able to explain something that most of the scientific world has been unable to explain for eons. Second, if they were able to give you definitive "proof" of something, given the nature of the subject matter, it would be hugely biased. The History Channel does something in its programming that most media today should do--be objective! It is not disinformation when you are simply trying to look at it from all possible angles. Educate yourselves!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I wouldn't normally agree with the whole disinfo thing, but I'm sat watching it on TV now and it just makes me want to line up everyone in the crew and give them a backhand.
This show, is the most vague, thoughtless piece of crap I've ever seen.
I can't even begin to go into how bad it is.
Massive step back for ufology right here, these kind of people make me ashamed to be interested in the subject.

For example
"Its not a missile, missiles don't bounce. Its clearly disc shaped, its definitely aliens, now we just have to work out where they come from"

edit on 22-11-2012 by Wongbeedman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join