It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US 'steps up' Pakistan missile strikes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   

US 'steps up' Pakistan missile strikes

www.news.com.au

THE United States has escalated air strikes against al-Qaeda fighters operating in Pakistan's tribal areas fearing that support from Islamabad may slip away, The Washington Post reports.

US officials, who were not identified, said Washington wants to inflict as much damage as it can to al-Qaeda's network now because Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf may not be able to offer much help in the months ahead.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pakistan Govt to review role in 'war on terror'
Bush waives law to give millions to Pakistan's anti-terror fight

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Well we all know these attacks officially are not happening:

Neither US nor Pakistani authorities officially confirm US missile attacks on Pakistani territory, which would be an infringement of Pakistani sovereignty.

I guess we can see the US being kicked out of Pakistan very soon. This will be a HUGE setback on any supposed plans to invade Iran as i am sure the US would have been relying on that border.

Maybe as well as attacks being ramped up, the US may push forward their attacks on Iran while that border is still available.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
And it's well over due.Send them all running like rats to find a new Home where can they go now??
al-Qaeda fighters are more like Dunny Rats.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

Learn geography buddy...Iran is on the west side of Afghanistan. Pakistan is in the southeast.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

Learn geography buddy...Iran is on the west side of Afghanistan. Pakistan is in the southeast.

My geography skills are quite alright for the moment. How are yours?

Pakistan shares its South-West border with Iran and is not necessarily only on the other side of Afghanistan. So my point still stands that Pakistan is crucial to the US to help get troops into Iran safely.

[edit on 27/3/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Pretty good since I teach World Geography PreAp. Don't understand why you would think that the U.S. need to go to Pakistan to get to Iran when Afghanistan is pretty much the best staging area for an invasion. Pakistan does not allow any American forces in Pakistan in the first place anyways. Besides that most of the attacks are along the Afghan-Pakistan border in Waziristan which is designated the tribal areas as the article mentioned that you posted.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

They are not allowed to officially say that US troops are in Pakistan, however, apparently no bombs are being dropped on Pakistan by the US either. Both parties confirm.

The reasons why Pakistan is crucial is that it is a FAR FAR more stable country that Afghanistan, troops will be able to make it to the Iran border far less interrupted. The border size is surprisingly VERY similar with only 27km's/17miles difference (Afghanistan's way) so that is not a problem and allow many entry points.

The other thing is that entering from more than one point is a good strategy, come in through Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq at the same time, they have the troops there, but that could spread them slightly thin. But the option still remains.

new topics

top topics

join