It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supercars going electric?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   

March 27, 2008 It seems a transatlantic battle is brewing in the high-performance electric sportscar market. As America's Tesla moves into the production phase with its 130+mph Roadster, Britain's Lightning GT is hot on its heels, with prototypes expected to hit the road later this year. source: Gizmag

These are not the nearly useless electric cars that GM buried in a few years back. This time around, we're looking at real, workable, high performance technologies that could one day be incorporated into ordinary passenger cars.

The article I've quoted above talks primarily about the Lightning GT. This fully electric car boasts a 4 second 0-60mph time, 700 horsepower, a 250 mile range, 15,000 charge cycles, and perhaps most importantly a 10 minute recharge time.

Also of interest is the Tesla Roadster, another electric car that promises sportscar performance.

And fortunately for us, these are being developed by companies that are not in the pockets of the oil industry *cough*gm*cough.*

So... the technology is here now. Literally, already here. The question now is, how long do we have to wait before it becomes affordable? Shucks, I just paid my car off a week ago and I already can't wait to get my hands on something new!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
We need to see these cars. If i had the money for a car that went 250 mile range per charge, for 15,000 charge cycles, with 10 min recharge time (this is a VERY important point), i'd do it in a heart beat.

It just needs to be affordable and out there as an option...

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Yea, the technology is here now, and actually has been around for a while. They can only hold back battery and motor technology for so long. I think the ev1 was adequate, and perhaps just needed better batteries for longer distances. When they recalled them many people didn't want to give them up cause they knew it worked fine and the fuel or fill-up was cheap. If you think about it, you don't even need to plug it into your home, you could use solar power, and thus do away with paying for fuel altogether, which is what these companies have been trying to stop all along.

If you are looking for performance, electric has always been faster because of the torque factor. Pair it up with a cvt and you could have some great acceleration. I think its mainly been the lack of battery performance. You have these companies buying up the battery patents for these new high performance cells (for example gm) and then you never see it again lol.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by Freezer]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
That's why I'm glad that this round of electric cars is being developed by completely independent companies which seem to be die hard eco-freaks.

I don't see them selling out to GM or the oil companies anytime soon.

And when you've got the recharge time down to 10 minutes, you've effectively eliminated the biggest problem people have with electric cars - which is their past inability to be recharged in the middle of a long distance trip. 10 minutes isn't too long to wait at the gas station.

Speaking of gas stations, I hope that once these cars hit the road the major chains will wise up quickly and provide recharge stations for these electric cars as well. It would make good business sense, considering the fact that with selling pure electricity (as opposed to tax-inflated gasoline) they actually stand to make a profit. Especially if recharging motorists have a 10 minute wait... That's perfect for the stations because it's short enough for people to wait at the station but long enough that they'd be likely to buy something from the convenience store that you see attached to 95% of today's gas stations.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
A recharge time of ten minutes? I wonder whether anyone can substantiate this.

The images in the Lightning GT photo gallery (you get to it from the OP link) don't appear to show a real car -- they look like someone took pictures of an Aston Martin Vanquish, photoshopped them to make it look like a different car, and posted them online.

I know the Tesla is real, but... ten minutes to recharge? Are you sure?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
It's meant to look like an Aston Martin. It's a British supercar. Even Jaguars look sort of like Aston Martins, though not quite as much as this.

en.wikipedia.org...

There's a wikipedia entry on the company that produces the batteries. The batteries are called "Nanosafe Batteries."

Beyond that, there's not that much out there about them. However the fact that the company is publicly traded on Nasdaq lends credibility to their claims, considering they would be caught almost instantly in a lie like that and their stock would plummet and end up being de-listed.

new topics

top topics

join