It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video from attatched camera: Space Shuttle RocketBoosters descent to Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Amazing video captured by the cameras on the side of the Solid Rocket Boosters (SRBs) as they're blown clear of the space shuttle Atlantis during the launch of STS-115.

This is quite old, still an amazing video.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Incredible.

As a skydiver I've always thought about what an amazing freefall those boosters get upon re-entry. Thanks for posting that.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
At 3:03 you can see the second rocketbooster falling to earth from thousands of yards away... really stunning.

To see the planet wheeling between the sun and the stars is just amazing, also to hear what it sounds like as the thing descends through the atmosphere... I really think this is the coolest ride a video camera has ever taken

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Why don't they burn up upon entering the earths atmosphere ?

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
What an awesome video! I have never seen this before. Thanks a lot for posting it!

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by InterestedObserver
Why don't they burn up upon entering the earths atmosphere ?

If I remember correctly the object itself does not burn but the air around it becomes superheated. Friction with the atmosphere creates 'flames' which are not the same as terrestrial fire or am I wrong? I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this.

In any case at 3:00-3:40 it seems the object is superheated and entering the atmosphere, then you can see puffs of black 'smoke'? Then it cuts to the parachute opening.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The SRBs aren't high enough to have to go through the atmosphere and reenter when they are detached. They're only on the shuttle for roughly 75 seconds or so. Long enough to get her going, and get up pretty high, but not high enough to burn up on reentry.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
This is an amazing video I haven't seen before.
Thanks so much for sharing, it's beautiful!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

That was incredible. Thanks for posting.

new topics

top topics

join