It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colombia seizes uranium from leftist guerrillas

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Colombia seizes uranium from leftist guerrillas

www.alertnet.org

BOGOTA, March 26 (Reuters) - Colombia said it seized at least 66 pounds (30 kg) of uranium from the country's biggest left-wing rebel group on Wednesday, the first time radioactive material has been linked to the four-decade-old guerrilla war.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
What in the world was FARC doing with Uranium? If they can get it, Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah, and even the Chechens may have Uranium stashed away somewhere. There has to be repercussions. An example must be made of FARC. Lack of action will be seen as weakness. If a clear response is not made it will be a recipe for disaster.

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
It didnt say what level of uranium they seized? you do know you can buy Uranium on ebay? and if you win enough auctions you could probably get that amount in a few weeks,

Its not really the uranium that is the problem it is how it has been processed if at all, It does sound really nasty and scary, but without the actual details of the find it would be very easy to ge worried,

The only part that really worries me is what did Guerrillas want with it? i very much doubt they wanted to start a rock club.

I would like to watch this thank you for the post

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

Probably holding it for resale value. Same reason they have the massive coc aine reserves.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mageofzhalfir

What really scares me is sell to who? Anyone who has the money? Thats a whole lot of scary people to sell to.

[edit on 27/3/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

The FARC aren't exactly known as moral exemplars. So, yeah, I do think it's kinda going off the make-an-offer system.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I think I know where they got this uranium from. FARC was in Romania in mid-January in order to buy uranium from Mogilevich...

The World's Most Accessible Nuclear Facility, page 3

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

So now the question is who might of been potential buyers or did FARC plan to use the uranium? I'm sure Hezbollah would be happy to use it in Argentina.

[edit on 27/3/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
How much of this was enriched uranium, and of what quality was it?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Suspecto Numero Uno (IMO):

IRAN

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

So now the question is who might of been potential buyers or did FARC plan to use the uranium?

According to my link, FARC planned to use the uranium for a dirty bomb...

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mageofzhalfir

Suspecto Numero Uno (IMO):

IRAN

I don't think so. FARC most likely bought the uranium from the Russian mafia (again, my link).

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
What Beautiful timing. I feel so much safer, with uranium floating around South America, knowing that our southern border will stay secure in the coming months...

Edit (instead of a double post):

I can almost see it now...

Leave a six onth gap, for plausible deniability, and smuggle it in on a C.I.A. coc aine charter so that warring government factions can stage a false flag operation in order to seize the election.

Where's Tom Clancy when ya need him!

[edit on 3/27/08 by redmage]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The Uranium was not in the hands of the FARC yet. What happened was that 2 informants told the colombian army where the uranium was hidden. The narcoterrosists were trying to get Uranium since 2005, seems that they were about to get it, they were negociating it for 2,5 million dolllars/kilogram (30 kg were found). What was found was only a sample, it was to be shown to the FARC leadership in order to agree on a larger shipment.

According to General Freddy Padilla Chief of the Colombian armed forces, this deal was meant to be done with a foreign government, however this government remains for now undisclosed.

This is not the first time that the Colombian Government has seized Uranium, in 2006 13,5 Kilos were found in Bogotá.

I hope that this shows some sympathizers of the FARC and the revolution right here at ATS, of the real intentions of the these animals.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Raul Reyes, the FARC leader who was killed in a raid in Equador, causing Venezuela to send tanks to the Colombian border, was in Romania in Mid January. He apparently wanted to buy uranium from Mogilevich. Reyes' laptop was seized after the raid. They found a lot of interesting stuff on that computer. I.e. details on how to make a dirty bomb. And apparently also some information they've used to track down Viktor Bout.

Bloomberg: Colombia Probes FARC Ties to Uranium Seized in Bogota (Update3)

March 27

Authorities said the files were also useful in tracking down in Thailand suspected Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Ask yourself this. Why isn't this story all over the mainstream media? It can be found (barely) if you search for it, but why are they so quiet about it? 33 kilos of uranium was in the wrong hands! Maybe there's more?

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Dont get so worried if you do a little research, Dirty bombs are a weapon of fear they are not like nuclear bombs and research says that if a dirty bomb went of in your location if you wasnt near the blast the radioactivity wouldnt cause you much harm unless you stayed next to the blast area for around 100 hours or so (which you wouldnt).
The clean up crews would get everything sorted in a few weeks.
The us military tested "dirty bombs" and decided that they were no use what so ever. I think its another way to get the populace scared like the goverments of today want us to feel. The media is full of "dirty bomb" scare tactics just to fill us with more unwanted worry.

peace love and daisys BM

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Allied weapons are popping up in the hands of infamous bands of outlaws all over the place, and some more reputable bands too.

The U.S provided Nepali security forces with a range of small arms and even grenade launchers - infact, rather than go through the details, you can read about it here where they outline a few other examples, including the Muhajadeen in Afganistan.

The weapons they put out there stay out there for people to sell.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Ask yourself this. Why isn't this story all over the mainstream media?

I'd imagine that the current Administration doesn't want a lot of "dirty bomb" panic floating about quite yet. After all, they are yanking the Nat. Guard off of the southern border 6 months early, and if a good portion of the population made the connection (that there's known uranium floating around South America)... there might be quite a bit of a backlash.

The ironic part is that the MSM severely hyped "dirty bombs" awhile back. It's as if they were trying to instill an irrational fear, and panicky reaction to them.

The fact of the matter is that a dirty bomb is not that much more dangerous than if such a device wasn't "dirty" to begin with. They were tested, in the past, by many nations (including the U.S.), and they were universally dismissed as not being 'worth the expense' for that very reason. Yet the MSM still likes to hype the supposed threat.

The actual 'greatest danger', from a dirty bomb, is a "widespread panic" reaction, and I think it's sad that the media seems to want to insure one whenever they approach the issue.

Edit: I now see that Boymonkey1974 beat me to it.

Nicely said, Boymonkey1974.

I still think that the upcoming 'border gap', and possible backlash, is playing into the low amount of coverage. The MSM has done its job instilling an irrational fear, yet TPTB don't want to "let it loose" just yet.

[edit on 3/28/08 by redmage]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

It doesn't take much more than a high speed centrifuge to enrich it into a potent nuclear device.
www.fas.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join