It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Getting Tired of College

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Damn, where to start.

Well basically, I'm just fed up with all this college crap. I've been going for two years and It all seems so pointless. it not like it really even helps to get a good job either.

My brother graduated from a good school with a 3.6 GPA and he still can't get a job that actually makes use of his degree. Although his current job does pay him well, but he is working with dudes who don't even have a degree.

And it's not only like that with him, I know this is the case for a lot of people who have graduated two or even three years back.

So what's the point? That little piece of paper they give you at the end is only there to show that you have conformed to societies standards. Other than that it's useless.

Honestly, I think I learn more on my own from reading things that interest me than what I do from classwork.

Right now, I just feel like college is the biggest BS conspiracy there is. It's just a business like anything else. It's a good way to get you into debt early in life and force you to work to pay the Machine.

FTW

Anyone with me?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I can't agree with you more. I want to be a police officer someday. You don't need a degree to get into the force, but if you want to move up through the ranks, a degree in just about anything enables you to do that. I chose a business degree as a fall back, and I absolutely hate going to college. I get good grades, but I feel the same as you - it all seems so pointless. I'm finishing up my 5th semester at a community college and transferring to a University, but there's not a single part of me that actually wants to do this. If you don't have a degree, though, you're looked down on and probably won't be able to find a decent job someday. It's awful the way it's set up...

Waste of money, waste of time, waste of effort, but unfortunately becoming increasingly necessary to make it in today's society, even if you're not going to use the skills you learned. It's all about that $50,000 piece of paper!

:bash:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Woe is me... Why, why, why!!

Quit ya whinging, it's a fact that a good education will benifit you in the long run.

So put your head down, get it done.

OR

Drop out, go it on your own.

BUT

Be a man, stop moaning like a little girl in a sweet shop.

MonKey

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by thehumbleone

When you get older, out of college, and into the work force, you will look back upon these days with a longing fondness.

Enjoy these days while they last. Unless you are independantly wealthy, you will never be this carefree again!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Circumstances determined that University was never going to be an option for me.
It cost my parents a relative fortune to enable my older brother to get his degree; I went to work.

My older brother has a very senior position.
Me, done ok but have always found the lack of a degree a hinderance when trying to pursue a carear despite my extensive work experience.

Never once moaned about it though.
Life is what it is and you just got to make the best of any given situation.
As Monkey has said, stop bitching and just get on with it.

One thing I will say; going to work enabled me to do and see things and people that I would never have had the opportunity to do so if I'd done the college thing.
I've had some of the greatest. maddest times anyone could ever imagine and I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever.
And I'm still doing it!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
just see college for what it is - a test to show everyone how well you can play by the rules, show up on time, place nice with others, etc.

Then you get a paper that says you can put up with it all - then you use that paper to get a job. Nothing more, nothing less. The rest is up to you.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan

When you get older, out of college, and into the work force, you will look back upon these days with a longing fondness.

Enjoy these days while they last. Unless you are independantly wealthy, you will never be this carefree again!

Carefree? Lmao There is nothing "carefree" about being a student. I'm always having to worry about homework, finishing assignments on time etc. Not to mention that I work half-time already, and I still try to find the time to have fun in between it all.

Yes, college is just great. I wonder how much thousands I'm gonna need in loans next semester? :bnghd:

[edit on 27-3-2008 by thehumbleone]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Herman

Herman, glad to see there is someone else who agrees with me.

What can you do about the ridiculous constraints society puts on us? Looks like we just have to suck it up.

I'm currently in my fifth semester as well.

That's cool you want to be a cop, at least you know what you want to do with your life. Me on the other hand, I still haven't got a clue in hell what I want to do. And I'm almost done with all my basics so I'm gonna have to declare a major soon.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Right now, I just feel like college is the biggest BS conspiracy there is. It's just a business like anything else. It's a good way to get you into debt early in life and force you to work to pay the Machine.

It is, but it is also a necessity for almost any successful career. What's more, if you think the debt you're getting into now is crazy, wait twenty or so years when your children have to go. The price is going to be ridiculous and the product (education) is going to be worse. I know in Ohio (a place where jobs are hard to find for the most part) one must have a masters degree to even have a hope getting a job (and getting the all important work experience). Teaching is one of these fields. I know in other states a Bachelors Degree is fine, but here in Ohio (amid an education crisis) one must have a Masters.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It will be worth it in the end, just make sure your studying for a degree that you actually enjoy. I know so many people who went to university to study something that will get them a job with great money, not something they love. All of them are now either in that job and hating it or in a job where the degree is useless to them.

I quit school at 16 (nearly 7 years ago) and started working in Finance – great money but it bored me to death, so in October last year I quit, moved backed to Australia and started University this year, Picked a degree that I personally enjoy and will want a job out of, and will get me a job I enjoy and get me to the place I want to live. But also because if I didn’t have any sort of degree then I would of been stuck in finance for the rest of my life. I spent 7 years working in an industry I hated, I have since promised myself to never ever ever work in a Bank or anything to do with Finance again, and will never ever work full time in any job that I don’t truly love or enjoy.

I find that most job’s now, no matter what it is expect you to have a degree, they don’t even care what degree it is, they sometimes just state “must have a 4 year degree” or “must have a third level education” etc etc. It’s really just a bit of paper.

So as long as you picked something that you actually like then you should be able to hang out for the whole degree, if you picked something just for the money you might get at the end then you are going to hate it.

I guess it’s easier here in Australia as we don’t have to pay for University they way you do in the states, here we have HECS/HELP, which means any Australian Citizen can go to University and they don’t pay for it, then once you graduate and actually get a job and earn over a certain amount, they take the cost out of your tax. If you don’t work or earn below the certain amount, or move overseas, then you don’t have to pay it back. It’s a good system. It means everyone here can go to University regardless of their financial status.

Remember if you spend your life working in a job you love, then you don’t have to work a day in your life. It’s not work if you enjoy it.

Mikey

[edit on 27/3/2008 by Mikey84]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

Thank you for the advice Mikey84, all of it is excellent.

The only problem i have right now is staying motivated, and that's kinda hard for me right now cause I have no freakin clue what I want to major in.

I feel like I'm floating down a stream with no idea where I'm gonna end up.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I know what you mean about getting motivated, I’m finding it hard, mainly because I’m here in Australia (don’t really like the country), it’s hard to keep focused and motivated when then whole time I keep thinking how much I think about how this country and it’s people annoy me, but I’m a Citizen and get the University for “free” so thought, I might as well make some good out of having the Citizenship and the University I go to is world class, so I use that to try block out the stuff I don’t like.

What keeps me motivated is knowing that I’ll be finished in 4 years and out of Australia for good, and that I look forward to the lectures. I have a “goal” to look forward and countdown too.

Just think carefully about your major, work out what you love to do, what you really enjoy, then look at what job that could get you, then look at what Major can help you get there. What Major will you actually look forward to doing, then you’ll end up eventually getting paid to do something you love.

Just think hard and make sure you have some kind of goal at the end that will keep you motivated, every time you don’t feel motivated just think of “that goal”. Because if you dropped out you know in 2 years time you will think “damn, if I had of stuck it out I’d be finished by now”. I spent the last 7 years saying “next year I’ll go to University” and every year I didn’t and just kept saying “nest year” and now the only regret is, if I had of done it when I first said it I’d be finished by now. But better late than never I guess.

I’m not sure how your systems works over there with Majors and stuff, or how many Majors you have a choice from etc etc, but just pick something you know you’ll love and enjoy, then going to college will just be like logging onto ATS, you will actually look forward to going to college.

Mikey

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan

College days are “carefree”? HA!

I get AU$245.00 a week, my apartment rent is AU$500 a week, transport to University is AU$25.00 a week, Now add my bills and food, that leaves me with humm..... MINUS, and a BIG MINUS.

Now that’s hard for me and I don’t have “Uni Fees”, imagine how hard it is for a student in the states!

The “work force” is a lot easier than being a student, even in the career I hated! The main thing I miss is getting a full time high wage and being able to travel, But it’s a sacrifice that has to be made, and will be worth it in the end. When I was working and knew I’d be going to University, I was thinking “ah it will be so much easier” it isn’t, see with work my job finished at 5pm and didn’t happen on the weekends, with University, it doesn’t stop and 5pm and Homework and essays don’t care about weekends, it has to be done no matter what time, day or year. lol

Carefree, lol... that’s a good one!

Mikey

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Personally, I'd hedge my bets, stick with it, but look for a job you'd be prepared to do and (hopefully) enjoy. I was possibly in the fortunate position of being able to afford to do college and ended up in a fairly well paid job at the end of it, that I absolutely hated - I stuck it out for 3 years then went back to college, when I couldn't really afford to, to do something I really wanted... that didn't work out, but I ended up sticking with it and to be honest, paid employment sucks, so I'm glad I spent as much time out of it as possible.

...as for debt - I realise this is gonna be a little controversial, but f. it, the way the world's going, I don't even factor debt into the equation, I don't own any property, no one really goes to prison for debt anymore, what the hell. The best thing about debt is that you can't take it with you when you die.

Best of luck and go with your heart.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

Actually I can understand your reply, and I understand well, as I have 4 children who have been to college.

I was a single Mom, and luckily all 4 kids got scholarships. Only one of the scholorships included any type of housing, so we struggled to pay for that, and meals, plus all the other goodies that go along with attending school. All my kids had jobs while away at college for any extra spending money they wanted. One year I had all four children in college at the same time.

My daughter decided that the scholorship she got for pre-med wasn't what she wanted to do after 2 full years, so she up and changed to another college half way across the country. Another 6 years later, and on her own dime, she ended up with a degree in achitecture, and another in interior design. She is in the hole about $200,000.

Now all she does is complain about how she doesn't like what she is doing, and how much money she owes.

She misses the good old days of college, because she is now so broke, she can't afford to quit! She is making a good salary, but it all goes towards student loans!

So, that was the reason behind my logic in the other post!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Never...and I mean never, make a permanent decision based on a temporary situation. College is short-term, its pay-off is long term. Play now/pay later OR Pay now/play later. It's your choice.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
No one can take away your education. That's what my father told me.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   

I feel you pain.

I am with you in this Stream... a stream of undecided souls, the creame of our Generation is rottign away in our colleges, lost... without direction... without to ablitly to thrive.

I am in college now and i hate it.

What am i doing here, what is my purpose... i think Millions of us (college students) are asking this... and we have no answers comeing, because we also have no one to ask them too.

The education system has been so decimated over the years, starting at the lower levels of education, but then brought to the top... we aren't learning anything anymore, we are not undertanding history, or understanding the princiles of Math, or WHY something happen in chemistry...

But what we are learning now is how to regurgitate information... memorise something on day... write in on the test the next, then forget it the a day later...

This is the cycle of our schools now, concerned with passing tests and meeting standards, rather then teaching.

Our upper-level univeristies are being staffed with some of the biggest sickos on the planet... blanet brain-washing is being conducted at these univerities... and no one says a word... confronting these professors only will bring more riducuel at yourown self...

THe sickest things imaginable are happening within our univerisities... you name it its happening...

It is now ok for professors to be openly Straight-Bashing... and it fine to call the Founding Fathers of America, nothing more then Rascist Bigots, who only wished to opress the minority, amoung other offenses...

our univerisities now offer a larger feild of degrees then ever... but how many of them are worth something...

I have friends that are majoring in Arts, or Religious studies, or History... why... seems everytime i talk to them they are changing thier major from one to the other, while they run off to thier Islamic Teaching course...

But it does not stop with the teachers and the teaching subjects, but in the alocation of funds for the school... At the school i am at, the Science labs are outdated, the telescpoes broken, and the sciences have some of the smallest(and oldest) buildings on campus... but the school directors were able to find funds to build the new largest building on campus after the gym, a Center for Gays, Lesbians and Transsexuals...

Oh how Progressive of them, leave the sciences with 40 year old equitment, but build a HUGE building for perverts so they have somewhere to hold Transsexual Drag Shows (I am NOT making this up) paid for by school funds...

I don't know how much of this post made much sense... given the education in English i have had, im lucky i can form sentences... but im sure i am even not doing that correct...

In closeing, i feel your pain, that feeling of waking up, going to class, and then just thinking to yourself... "Why am I in here..." You look around, at the other students, they all seem to be doing something, working hard, and on the path towards getting something done...

I Don't know what i want to do, i do not know what i love... i have loved the feild of Math and Science since i was a kid, but the last 3 years i have blindly drifted thruogh school, just taking all the Hardest Math and Science classes avalible, Before i knew it i was in Advanced Diffirentual Equations, and Upper Organic Chemistry, and it just hit me, "I hate this"... but what do i do...

As Americans in the Post 9/11 world, we are wounded ducks, the Majority of people would just like to ignore the rest of the world, and go about thier lives, live the status quo... but the status quo has changed, but our world has yet to adjust to this new target... we, as a Nation, do not have a direction, we have to National Objective like getting to the Moon, or an objective in our Military expiditions... we are a nation that is stuck in mid-gear...

We are drifting as a Nation, and this is passed on to our population. We are a lost generation, a group of people aged 25ish and under, with nothing happening, nothing on the Horizon... we are the livng dead... we have no goals, no excitment, no life, just Taxes, just playing the game, just memorise, and regurgitate... thats it... not understanding, just mechanical...

With the Internet, we have Access to just about anything our minds could want... We can learn Everything we want ON the Internet, without hearing why you are a better person if you don't have babies...

I plan on getting my degree... in what... i don't know yet...

We are a difting Nation, with a lost populace....

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   

I feel you pain.

I am with you in this Stream... a stream of undecided souls, the creame of our Generation is rottign away in our colleges, lost... without direction... without to ablitly to thrive.

I am in college now and i hate it.

What am i doing here, what is my purpose... i think Millions of us (college students) are asking this... and we have no answers comeing, because we also have no one to ask them too.

The education system has been so decimated over the years, starting at the lower levels of education, but then brought to the top... we aren't learning anything anymore, we are not undertanding history, or understanding the princiles of Math, or WHY something happen in chemistry...

But what we are learning now is how to regurgitate information... memorise something on day... write in on the test the next, then forget it the a day later...

This is the cycle of our schools now, concerned with passing tests and meeting standards, rather then teaching.

Our upper-level univeristies are being staffed with some of the biggest sickos on the planet... blanet brain-washing is being conducted at these univerities... and no one says a word... confronting these professors only will bring more riducuel at yourown self...

THe sickest things imaginable are happening within our univerisities... you name it its happening...

It is now ok for professors to be openly Straight-Bashing... and it fine to call the Founding Fathers of America, nothing more then Rascist Bigots, who only wished to opress the minority, amoung other offenses...

our univerisities now offer a larger feild of degrees then ever... but how many of them are worth something...

I have friends that are majoring in Arts, or Religious studies, or History... why... seems everytime i talk to them they are changing thier major from one to the other, while they run off to thier Islamic Teaching course...

But it does not stop with the teachers and the teaching subjects, but in the alocation of funds for the school... At the school i am at, the Science labs are outdated, the telescpoes broken, and the sciences have some of the smallest(and oldest) buildings on campus... but the school directors were able to find funds to build the new largest building on campus after the gym, a Center for Gays, Lesbians and Transsexuals...

Oh how Progressive of them, leave the sciences with 40 year old equitment, but build a HUGE building for perverts so they have somewhere to hold Transsexual Drag Shows (I am NOT making this up) paid for by school funds...

I don't know how much of this post made much sense... given the education in English i have had, im lucky i can form sentences... but im sure i am even not doing that correct...

In closeing, i feel your pain, that feeling of waking up, going to class, and then just thinking to yourself... "Why am I in here..." You look around, at the other students, they all seem to be doing something, working hard, and on the path towards getting something done...

I Don't know what i want to do, i do not know what i love... i have loved the feild of Math and Science since i was a kid, but the last 3 years i have blindly drifted thruogh school, just taking all the Hardest Math and Science classes avalible, Before i knew it i was in Advanced Diffirentual Equations, and Upper Organic Chemistry, and it just hit me, "I hate this"... but what do i do...

As Americans in the Post 9/11 world, we are wounded ducks, the Majority of people would just like to ignore the rest of the world, and go about thier lives, live the status quo... but the status quo has changed, but our world has yet to adjust to this new target... we, as a Nation, do not have a direction, we have to National Objective like getting to the Moon, or an objective in our Military expiditions... we are a nation that is stuck in mid-gear...

We are drifting as a Nation, and this is passed on to our population. We are a lost generation, a group of people aged 25ish and under, with nothing happening, nothing on the Horizon... we are the livng dead... we have no goals, no excitment, no life, just Taxes, just playing the game, just memorise, and regurgitate... thats it... not understanding, just mechanical...

With the Internet, we have Access to just about anything our minds could want... We can learn Everything we want ON the Internet, without hearing why you are a better person if you don't have babies...

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero

Couldn't agree more.

Yeah, I still plan on it too. However, I wanna get the eff out as soon as possible.

Thanks for posting. Keep at it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join