It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Sonic Boom Tonight?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
No, not really...though it was mysterious (to me) at the time, as I haven't been following the NASA news much lately....

At around 8:30pm tonight (EDT), our windows were rattled, but felt more like someone banging on them. I go outside to see who's there, and I see a few other neighbors all with the same bewildered look...

"WTF was that?" we all said...

So, I get on the PC, and after a little searching, I find out the Shuttle Endeavor was coming up the coast for a planned 7:05pm landing...but, seems like it was running late, and it was over the state around 8:30pm, so I guess that was the source.

I've heard other shuttle landings, and this was different, but I guess there are many variables... Did scare the bejesus out of us though, hehe....

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Looks like you where not alone!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
It was a landing unlike I've ever seen. The flames coming off the shuttle for 20 minutes after it landed kind of freaked me out.

Still, NASA TV said it was a normal venting of the hydraulic systems. I don't understand that at all but then again, I'm not a rocket scientist.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

It wasn't venting of the hydraulic systems, it was venting of hydrazine (a monoproellant) from the Auxiliary Power Units (APUs). This is entirely normal. Hydrazine is quite toxic, which is why they take their time approaching the Orbiter, use big fans to keep the exiting astronauts upwind, and constantly monitor the air for contaminates.

top topics

join