It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette company funds cancer study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Cigarette company funds cancer study

www.upi.com

NEW YORK, March 26 (UPI) -- The parent company of a cigarette maker paid for a U.S. study that said increased use of CT scans can prevent lung cancer deaths.
The 2006 Weill Cornell Medical College study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, said 80 percent of lung cancer deaths could be prevented by CT scans. A New York Times investigation found that the study was almost entirely underwritten by grants from Vector Group, the parent company of the Liggett Group, maker of Liggett Select, Eve, Grand Prix, Quest and Pyramid cigarettes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This makes me laugh. A cigarette company gives millions to a cancer study that calls for early detection of lung cancer. they make it sound like as long as you continually get CT scans, you can keep smoking and you will be alright. WHAT??????? That is one of the craziest thing I have ever heard. Yeah, just keep getting scanned, like that in itself is a good idea.
Notice how this company is one that makes a cheaper brand of cigs. They just want anyone and everyone to keep smoking. They will even make cheaper smokes in order for that to continue.
What a joke.

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
They must be profiting from this somehow. At least to say, I imagine, "hey, we warned you to get a scan, don't sue us because you use our product, got hooked, and are now dying." Maybe they own stock in the company that sells some CT scanners? I think their next method, if they haven't done it already, is to invest in anti-cancer pills that treat and treat and treat, but never cure anything. Long, slow, painful treatment.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lnaphx

Oh yeah, it's all about the treatment and not the cure. I think General Electric is a huge company for CT scanners. At least that is what we have at the hospital i work at.

new topics

top topics

join