It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two loud booms just now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I live in Brandon, Florida.... it was about 8:35pm just now, and i heard 2 loud booms...i know this doesnt make sense but...it sounded like it shook the sky..my house rumbled a bit. Shuttle? am i missing something?

I almost shat my pants when i heard it...seriously.

[edit on 26-3-2008 by Dr.Greenthumb]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Sonic booms would be the first thing that comes to my mind. I used to hear them all the time as a kid, but I haven't heard any for years and years.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Endeavour. It landed at 8:39pm EST. It was scheduled for 7:05, but skipped that window and came down about an hour and a half later.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
ah i see...thanks guys!

i think that was the loudest boom ive ever heard in my life.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I just watched the landing on NASA TV and it was pretty cool. Looks like all is safe and they had a great mission.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I heard the same exact sound. I am in Bradenton, FL about 45 minutes south of Tampa. I was getting into my hot tub and it sounded like two bombs going off. It really startled me, and my dog started barking. I couldn't believe there was a post on this. I have been a member for over a year and this is my first reply, I felt like I just had to reply to it because I heard it as well.

[edit on 26-3-2008 by The 5th Element]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Shuttle. Double sonic boom, from the shuttle re-entering the atmosphere. I used to live near the Edwards AFB in California, and the area got double booms all the time when the shuttle came back. Shook the windows of the house even. If you have binoculars you could watch it land after the booms, a little black-bellied speck in the sky.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
after the shuttle landed there was a flame spouting were the back wing or vertical stabilizer is connected to the body. is this normal? i dont know since ive never really watched the landings but it just looked a little strange to me.

i just looked at a bunch of pictures of shuttle landings and didnt see any flames.

[edit on 26-3-2008 by Bean328]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bean328

i just looked at a bunch of pictures of shuttle landings and didnt see any flames.

[edit on 26-3-2008 by Bean328]

I watched it live on NASA TV and I assure you, there were plenty of flames with tonights landing. I've never seen anything like that before.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Must have been a hard reentry. I cannont imagine the temps necessary to make carbon fiber actually flame. Glad they got her down in one piece.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Wow that sounds awesome. I live up North and have never been around launch areas.

It seems almost incredible that a shuttle entering the atmosphere can release so much energy like that... just imagine what a massive asteroid would sound like entering the atmosphere. Yikes. I think we would know the instant we heard such a thing that the end was near.

*edit* Ah look, apparently there are plenty of youtubes where people have recorded the sounds.

[edit on 26-3-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Must have been a hard reentry. I cannont imagine the temps necessary to make carbon fiber actually flame. Glad they got her down in one piece.

The flames were coming from the front of the OMS pods (orbital manuevering system thrusters) -- specifically from the APUs, not form the carbon-carbon pieces.

The commentator on NASA TV said the flames were normal, and were much more visible than normal because of the night landing. The flames were caused by the normal venting of hydrazine. They do this every time but the hydrazine burns so cleanly that the flames can't be seen to weel during daytime landings.

[edit on 3/26/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Yeah, it was quite a sound. I live in St Pete and was unsure at first what it was....I remember the first time it landed here.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'm also in St. Pete, and it didn't even sound like a normal boom, it sounded like someone pounding on my windows twice... I went out into the yard to confront whoever did it, only to see my neighbors all looking around dumbfounded....

So, I went in, and googled, and then checked for NASA, and there you go...Endeavor landing late...

Man was it loud, and made me just about jump out of my skin, lol!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Honestly, this thread has giving me a good chuckle. I checked it out and I think its cool all the ATS's getting all spooked and then debuking and laughing...fun times. Rock on.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I was outside drinking coffee when I heard em. Pretty cool. My first 4 years in florida were just outside macdill afb so noises like this arent anything new although I will say its unique.

top topics

join