It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ballistic Hunting Weapons - UK

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Just a couple of points. There are actually 4 calibres of pellet available in the UK .177, .20, .22 & .25 and not just the 2 as stated. Each have their ow advantages and disadvantages as far as hunting goes.

With respect to putting additives in the transfer port of an airgun to induce dieseling, my advice is don't bother. Ignoring the fact that it could take you over the 12FPE limit it will do serious damage to the piston head and seals. It will also produce an exceedingly inconsistent power output which there is no way to regulate. Your first shot may be at 20FPE the next at 4FPE and the next at 20FPE. There is no way to predict this and your POI at 30 yards would alter by perhaps 7" in the above example. The upshot is your quarry would have a huge advantage
Stick with a clean gun, or if you want higher power then replace the spring/lazaglide/venom tune or whatever.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Because, in the Uk, there -aren't- gun stores everywhere, at least none where I live. If there is a complete breakdown of society, I'm sure as hell not going to be driving 50 or 60 miles to get a gun, and risk myself like that. Simple.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
Unless I somehow missed it in my look through the thread and someone already mentioned it, you can easily obtain a bow in the UK as well as crossbows. You can get some really powerful ones which will be lethal at long range, if you're accurate. longbows need the most skill, but with a skilled person would be incredibly good. Course, if you don't start practicing until the survival situation, you have a problem.

When I did archery, someone I knew even had some replica war arrows with armour piercing points on them. They didn't shoot them, but you can get them easily.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by apex]

War arrows are rockin' you've got barbed, broadhead and bodkin.
The latter can pierce armour, any sort of armour, even flak jackets are no match.
The downside is I looking into buying a bunch of arrow heads like that and they are as expensive now as they were back in the days of the hundred years war.
I think 20 quid will set you back for 1 bona-fide armour piercing arrow. Slightly less for barbed and broadhead.
Barbed-bodkin hybrids were found on the Mary Rose so it's interesting to wonder where we'd be if firearms didn't replace the longbow in this country....

To get a good longbow (short of robbing the Imperial War Museum) you need to order them in from Oregon. That's right our US brothers have the best wood these days for making them. They cost about 200 quid for a war-bow spec longbow. Be warned though you'll need to be practising every day with one as they are a ninja test to use!

What do folk think of the 'pistol' crossbows. I've seen a few here:

www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk...

This one claims the dizzy power of 80lbs on draw/power. Anyone had such luck with them?

[edit on 10-8-2008 by WatchRider]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

If you can braid then just buy a roll of twine. It'll cost you about $7 U.S. and you can make as many slingshots as you want. The twine will outlast leather in your damp climate, and they are easy to make. Use strips of thick cloth for the pocket or if you prefer larger ammo just braid it without. Braid three strips of three strands about nine feet, then braid them together tying off a section about four inches long in the middle that doesn't get braided together. Then braid the rest. Doing it without the pocket will allow you to use fist sized stones.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
What's the power and potential for hunting of a pistol crossbow?

Something like this one.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

getting caught bagging bunnies on private land without the owner's consent

hi - according to my reading of all the crap DEFRA sends me :

being on private land without permission with ANY weapon renders you liable to a charge of : " armed trespass " and yup it does have a custodial sentence

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

hi - if the only drwaback to you arming yourself is the 60 mile distance to the nearest gunstore

why not broaden your horizons :

any MOD facility is going to have an armoury

almost all police stations

nuclear powerplant - the AEC [ atomic energy constabulary ] is authorised to carry firearms - and keeps them on site

country houses - any that are ` lived in ` as opposed to being strictly museums / visitor attractions - will have a gun room

before any one flames me - please bear in mind i am replying SOLEY on the premise that the ` anonymous ATS ` i am addressing - clearly indicated that he was prepared to attempt to loot a gun store - if it wasnt a 60mile drive

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

being on private land without permission with ANY weapon renders you liable to a charge of : " armed trespass " and yup it does have a custodial sentence

If TSHTF then I think the 'law' will be the last thing on most peoples minds as they hunt to eat

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Vagrancy act of 1933 I think, Persons found on enclosed premised ( including fences) with the intent to commit an offence etc

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

If TSHTF then I think the 'law' will be the last thing on most peoples minds as they hunt to eat

I would be of the mind that survivalists would not be in a position to have to do thisd UNLESS law and order had already failed.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join