It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting Health Insurance Exclusion

page: 1

join
share:
apc

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Recently my insurance provider ended my current policy plan and is replacing it with a "new and improved" plan. So far I'm not seeing much difference besides increased coverage maximums for various things and more options. I'm reading through the hundred-or-so page Certificate and I come to the exclusions. One item reads...

7. Charges caused by or contributed to by:

a. War or any act of war, whether declared or undeclared.

That was in my last policy as well, but this is what's new...

b. Participating in the military service of any country or international organization, including non-military units supporting such forces.

c. Foreign or domestic acts of terrorism that result in a nationwide epidemic.

That last part raised an eyebrow. Now it is reasonable to expect them to cover their butts in the event that there's a terrorist act that results in them getting a couple million medical claims. But did not such a threat also exist in 2004 which my last Certificate was dated? Wouldn't the lawyers have already thought of that? Is there simply an increased risk with the continued expansion of the Empire?

Or do they know something we don't?

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Meh, I just see it more as them covering the "ass-ets" to minimize payouts. I really doubt that an insurance carrier is going to be in the know about something more nefarious than ripping of their consumers.

apc

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Consumers rip themselves off by failing to read and understand their policy and by making poor enrollment decisions. I however am a happy, satisfied customer.

It may indeed be that this is nothing more than their recognizing an increased risk of event in the current environment and are expectedly excluding such an event from coverage. But in my opinion the risk today is not significantly greater than it was four years ago.

It could just be due to the fact that a larger insurance company has since purchased my provider and this is part of their standard exclusions. But you know... always have to have tin foil ready in case of emergency.

new topics

join