It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Proposes League of Democracies

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Does anyone else think of The Superfriends and the "Justice League of America" when they see the words League of Democracy?

I can just imagine John McCain in blue leotards and cape surrounded by his Super friends Dick Cheney, George Bush, and Karl Rove..

[edit on 3/27/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

The confusion was actually a reference to an episode by Family Guy, as well as The Legion of Darkness (A comic book organization of super-villains).

Look, as an Statesian, it is natural to feel that our country does it best/has the best to offer/the ideas are better. It's a compunction that I tend to shun, even though most people find nothing wrong with it.

I'm not going to claim I know better than other countries, or even better than other people about what is best for them. I feel that self determination is important for freedom to exist, even if that self determination is self-destructive... and I feel that holds for nations as it does for people.

Democracy isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, not to mention that the States were based upon a Democratic Republic, which is a very specific beast different from a run-of-the-mill democracy. Even so, it probably isn't the final say in political movements. That would indicate that history was ending somewhere.

I am certainly for a collection of alliances with the world, or even for world peace... but I am also against forcing our culture on the world. I'd rather they steal it from us than we shove it down their throats. It's a lot more satisfying seeing someone emulate you than it is trying to torture someone into submission to your indomitable and mighty divine will.

Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery, after all.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
Does anyone else think of The Superfriends and the "Justice League of America" when they see the words League of Democracy?

I can just imagine John McCain in blue leotards and cape surrounded by his Super friends Dick Cheney, George Bush, and Karl Rove..

[edit on 3/27/08 by LLoyd45]

That's too rich! My imagination is hard at work creating a script for a pilot as we speak! The best part will be hashing out the villains!

They would all be poor, uneducated, taxpayers - who must be kept in line! Zig Heil!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I don't know why, but that was the image that popped in myhead when I saw the title. It'd make a great politcal satire.

Maybe we could all work on a story line, cast of characters, and script, then sell it to Comdey Network!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheColdDragon

Democracy isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, not to mention that the States were based upon a Democratic Republic, which is a very specific beast different from a run-of-the-mill democracy. Even so, it probably isn't the final say in political movements. That would indicate that history was ending somewhere.

You have a better form (from the ones currently operating in the world) of government in mind than democracy (et al)?

If so, I'd love to hear what it is.

If not, and/or you're wishing/hoping for some utopian form of government to come along a "save us all", I will simply say, "Meanwhile, back in the real world".

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by TheColdDragon

You have a better form (from the ones currently operating in the world) of government in mind than democracy (et al)?

If so, I'd love to hear what it is.

If not, and/or you're wishing/hoping for some utopian form of government to come along a "save us all", I will simply say, "Meanwhile, back in the real world".

How about an anarcho-syndicate commune? Sorry, couldn't resist.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
What a ridiculous proposition!

How would the bar to this league possibly be enforced?! This is farcical.

The only country to be excluded under non-democratic rules would be China. Even Russia is supposedly a democracy.

Problems with this:

1. China will be excluded. You cant do jack in world affairs without involving China.

2. Corrupt democracies cant be excluded just because we think they are corrupt, that would engender more bad feelings around the world.

McCain ought to stand on a platform of reformation of the UN if anything, not some silly idea involving democracy as a basis of friendship.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I can't believe that you can't see thru this transparent appeal to Americans to accept the North American Union by calling it a League of Democracies; with a few other token countries thrown in like Jamaica and Puerto Rico and Australia.

The NAU is very unpopular. Change the name and hype it on the MSN and you got the same old deal to undermine the traditions and culture of a once proud US of A.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house.

Habla Espanol? Better learn!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I can't believe that you can't see thru this transparent appeal to Americans to accept the North American Union by calling it a League of Democracies; with a few other token countries thrown in like Jamaica and Puerto Rico and Australia.

The NAU is very unpopular. Change the name and hype it on the MSN and you got the same old deal to undermine the traditions and culture of a once proud US of A.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house.

Habla Espanol? Better learn!!!

I am feeling dumb. I should have realized that right off! I wonder why re-marketing the concept under a different name actually threw me off the track. I gotta stop drinking heavily and doing drugs!

I wonder if they'll rename the Amero to something less 'global' like "sparkles" or "happy money.?"

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
All McCain is doing is sowing the seeds of-> 'needed change'...

He knows full & well that the many NATO, UN, G-8s, and many more alphabet acronyms are the real avenue to go down...
not some new fangled 'United Democracy Coalition'

He's blowing smoke up the electors noses, & the initial response seems to be giddiness....,.

it's a good ploy, but is nothing more than rhetorical posturing
to make himself 'look good' in a swath of the voting public...

, with the stammering candidate, trying to seem deeply philosophical

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
What a ridiculous proposition!

How would the bar to this league possibly be enforced?! This is farcical.

What is the issue you're confused about?

Surely we can come up with rules and guidelines. We are men, are we not? Why do you see this as an impossible task?

The only country to be excluded under non-democratic rules would be China. Even Russia is supposedly a democracy.

Negative. It's already been stated that Russia will be excluded. Merely calling oneself a democracy won't be enough for membership. Certain criteria will have to be met.

China may be initially excluded, but might be enticed to change her ways to gain membership.

McCain ought to stand on a platform of reformation of the UN if anything, not some silly idea involving democracy as a basis of friendship.

What's silly is the thought of reforming a corrupt organization like the UN.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The UN is too corrupt to be of any value to Americans.

The UN wasn't set up to "be of any value to Americans"

It was set up to be of value to the world, with all countries having equal representation.

Fact is that five permanent members of the UN Security Council have abused their positon over the years to either forward their own agendas or veto others.

If you're advocating this idea solely because of American interests, then its a pointless waste of time. It needs to built around full equality.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Fact is that five permanent members of the UN Security Council have abused their positon over the years to either forward their own agendas or veto others.

If you're advocating this idea solely because of American interests, then its a pointless waste of time. It needs to built around full equality.
Don't you believe the League of Democratic Superfriends will do just that? After all their motto is Truth, Justice, and the American way.

[edit on 3/28/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Negative. It's already been stated that Russia will be excluded. Merely calling oneself a democracy won't be enough for membership. Certain criteria will have to be met.

I really don't know where to start here with my response.
You stated that merely calling oneself democracy shouldn't be enough!
I totally agree on that. All I hear on the news is white house and anyone in Washington repeating all along about US "the greatest democracy on Earth".
If you repeat something hundreds of times in a simple brain becomes truth.
Same with a word terrorism. People are freaked out on some bogus terrorist because they were led to believe the hype they repeated dozens of time every time they were on TV.
Real democratic country will have no need to repeat over and over again such a hollow statement if it was truly democratic.
Obviously they think it is better to use hypnotic repetitive words then to let People vote for instance.

Majority of us here shares believe that US is one of the most corrupt government in the world so are we to assume that they will be member No 1 by default because of the money, power and influence or can we mere mortals vote them out if we find them unfit?

Next thing is to find someone of integrity to be on the panel, voted and put there in the place by the public not corrupt politicians.
From top of my head there are few People I would love to see there:
Prof. Steven Hawking, (if C. Clarke hasn't past away I would have liked to see him on board), Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu, etc..

But, something disturbing in my chest is telling me that we will not see true democratic vote and People like that EVER deciding our future but megalomaniacs and proven criminal record against humanity and the world.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by Apolon]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Apolon

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing by simply stating what's on your mind:

You hate America.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by Apolon

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing by simply stating what's on your mind:

You hate America.

I really hope this smiley is there for a cheeky response. Read my post above and many others and tell me if you see difference between hating current government and People from USA in general.
I am constantly talking about zionist agendas and Kennedy assassination is one of them and somehow People call me anti-semit!!
Jews are not real Semites anyway. I wish People start commenting on the posts rather then using old proven tactics, if you can't beet them, lie and discredit the Person who doesn't think like you.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by Apolon]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
This proposal reminds from GW Bush words: "You are with us, or with terrorists"

So, after years has gone, McCain wants to make that conclusion. "If you had work against US interests in recent years, you are out, but those who has done and said nothing against these lethal acts of US, you are in!"

This is like the last step of fascism, the real "axis of evil" for me. Imperialism is a disease, what has overtake US. In the light of history, this disease should be past, long time ago.

In my eyes USA have greatest corruption in the world, because its effects are most lethal to rest of us, and also them self.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Seems to me that McCain wants a UN organization that legitimizes whatever the US does. That seems to be a big reason that the US does not like the UN. This seems like an invite only club, and that anything the US puts through, will be unanimously agreed with. Seems very petty to me. Its because of the US and others that don't want to lose sovereignty that UN does not have any teeth in the first place. Besides the US was a factor in the creation of the UN. Now that the UN has proved to not be a puppet of the US, its going to leave the UN and create a better puppet? This is depressing.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

If we have a TAU or TransAtlantic Union, the currency would be the Eurodollar.

Alot better sounding than Amero or Sparkles.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Apolon

If Jews are not Semites why are they almost genetically identical to Arabs? Not recent converts but Israeli Jews, Sephardim and Ashkenazim.

Second, why even make a silly statement like "Jews arn't really Semites"?

What does it have to do with John McCain and his ideas?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join