It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Beat Peaceful Tibetan Protesters IN AMERICA

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I am all for free Tibet,but lets face it.....in this country and in New York particularly, you must obtain a permit if you are assembling people and protesting in public.The police don't just start bashing people for no reason.As the video shows these people were chanting and carrying signs and holding them up in the air. I don't condone what the cops did....just saying look at this with an open mind.The only time I saw the police using force here was when some protesters did not listen to the police and move in an orderly fashion and stay out of the street.I would say the reason this is not huge news is because of the above mentioned.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

The police don't just start bashing people for no reason

yes they do - a woman phoned 911 to report a crme - and was dragged off to the local station held down by 6 other men and women and stripped nakked in the presence of police men and women

her crime? nothing - she phoned 911 to report a crime she witnessed remember.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yay! These men sure did protect and serve! ...I'm not sure what they protected or who they served, but I'm sure they did!

Those dangerous Tibetan protesters. You know historically how dangerous they are.

I mean, it's not like we have the right to speak freely and petition, protest and assemble in this country, so what in the hell were they thinking?

I say they brought it on themselves because some other crowd in another part of the city threw some bricks at a building so this was totally deserved.

And if they didn't bring it on themselves, then well, I'd put my money on this video being CGI.

GO LAW ENFORCEMENT! GO AMERICA!

[/sarcasm]

#ing disgrace. :shk:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This was FAR from peacful. I have friends in NY who saw this go down (IN PERSON) and they told me many...NOT ALL...but a many protesters were being out of control. Screaming at passing motorists, NOT letting people walk down sidewalks, they had hit a few people with their stupid flag poles, throw stuff, knocked over barricades and caused a lot of problems. ALSO..if you watch at the END of the video you see the NORMAL (peaceful) protesters sitting outside the consulate buidling...NO cops bothering them at all. Just surrounding them as like any other protest.....so this video is BS!!!! They are just trying to create the same uproar/crap as their people back in China. Get a plane ticket and go back to your country and protest there where the problem is...not 5000 miles away from it!
I am all for protesting whatever cause you want, but if your going to take it to far then TO BAD FOR YOU when you get shut down...especially if it's a protest that has nothing to do with the US!

Also, can the camera man be anymore dramatic? Can you say puffing it up for the/HIS audience. He knew he was going to post this video!

Lastly...I wonder how many Americans who live in OTHER countries protest about stuff back home the way other people in our melting pot do?

EDIT TO ADD: Do you really think living in AMERICA protesting about something happening in a country you chose to leave is going to do anything? I'm sure the UN or Consulate leaders who represent China were looking out the window and really gave a S--- what these people were saying/doing!

[edit on 3/27/2008 by rcwj75]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
yes they do - a woman phoned 911 to report a crme - and was dragged off to the local station held down by 6 other men and women and stripped nakked in the presence of police men and women

her crime? nothing - she phoned 911 to report a crime she witnessed remember.

I don't recall ever seeing this...please post a link so I can see what your referring too....

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Big thread about this back in February:

Video emerges of woman 911 caller forcefully strip searched in police custody

Despicable.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Look I understand your passion about this......I really, really,really, do.I just don't think we should automatically damn the police and scream police state when we are getting this video from one point of view and is clearly edited.If we don't know what had transpired before or leading up to the event then it is just taking sides at that point.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I am all for free Tibet,but lets face it.....in this country and in New York particularly, you must obtain a permit if you are assembling people and protesting in public.

Local ordnances do not usurp the Constitution, One doesn't need permission to exercise inherent and unalienable rights insured by the Constitution, The fact that local municipalities get away with these usurpations through threat of force and imprisonment on a constant basis is no justification for those usurpations.

The police don't just start bashing people for no reason.

Most ceertainyl not, Time and time again it has been shown that exercising ones Constitutionally protected rights is all the reason they need.

The only time I saw the police using force here was when some protesters did not listen to the police and move in an orderly fashion and stay out of the street.[edit on 27-3-2008 by CaptGizmo]

Lawful orders are the only orders one must follow, We all have a right to travel, these protesters were not blocking any intersections, they were walking, one doesn't need to ask permission to walk, or hold a sign, or speak freely.

These protesters were non threatening, none had weapons, none were physical, The Police had NO right to use force or even touch these people, Police are bound by the same laws we are and thus should all be charged he same way we would be if we conducted ourselves in the same manner.

Now if these protesters were violent the situation changes, however we are going off of this video alone.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by C0le]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by C0le

I actually agree with everything you said.....I just don't want to make a complete judgment based on this one sided edited video.I still think there are more good cops around than bad....after all they are citizens as well with families that can be effected by a police state as well.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If you've lived in NY long enough like me u know the cops are nothing but pigs, they will use any excuse to *snip* your day up and thats real talk

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3/27/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
Also, can the camera man be anymore dramatic? Can you say puffing it up for the/HIS audience. He knew he was going to post this video!

Funny that you mentioned that, because guess what? I watched it on mute!
From what the video shows, the violence, yet again, did not fit the crime.

Your story about your friends does give credence to the idea that the protestors were not acting "peaceful", but until I see video or something else equally solid in support of that, it's only a step above speculation..

I don't think I need to explain the concept of evidence further to a cop, so i'll leave it at that

[edit on 053131p://27u37 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
**bah, double post sorry!**

[edit on 053131p://27u24 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Another thing I've been thinking about since I've watched this video, if those particular protesters were being violent throwing rocks/bricks (where did they get bricks?) hitting people with sticks ect, would they not have been taken to the ground much sooner instead of being followed around until the cops decided they didn't want to deal with it anymore?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

The police don't just start bashing people for no reason.

Apparently you're out of the loop then, stick around you're bound to see an article or two hit ATS showing just that in a week or so

**edit: well in addition to the one just linked for you

As the video shows these people were chanting and carrying signs and holding them up in the air.

Oh dear God no! Monsters!...

I don't condone what the cops did....just saying look at this with an open mind.

Likewise.

The only time I saw the police using force here was when some protesters did not listen to the police and move in an orderly fashion and stay out of the street

So what you're saying is that if a Cop tells you to move in a straight line, and you don't, then he should beat you with a baton? Or was it the J-walking part?

[edit on 053131p://27u33 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I just don't think we should automatically damn the police and scream police state when we are getting this video from one point of view and is clearly edited.If we don't know what had transpired before or leading up to the event then it is just taking sides at that point.

I am pretty sure when Novus wrote that passionate and hilarious post
He was factoring in many other instances of police abuse, as there has been alot on ATS alone..

As for this paticular case:

Yes it is taking sides, it usually is. All we really have to go on is this video. And using that as our only source of real evidence what can we take from it? Unecessary use of power from the cops. We can speculate that the protestors got out of hand, and disruptted the public in general, but the simple matter of fact is, that's not shown in the video..

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
hitting people with sticks ect, would they not have been taken to the ground much sooner instead of bring followed around until the cops decided they didn't want to deal with it anymore?

Wow , that's a really good observation there Cole..

The answer seems kinda obvious to me, but I'll wait for our resident cops to chirp in on that.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Just remember, most cops aren't setting around thinking about high
ideals all day. They are at the street level, of trying to maintain law and
order. When the adrenalin starts flowing; the brain starts going dead.
It soon turns into a brawl. The cops usually have the biggest weapons.
And they will use them in a second. If they feel a tiny bit threatened. There
only thought is; "submit to authority"! Police are like a military institution.
Submission to authority is drilled into their physic, as the first rule.
Remember that. If you ever decide to protest.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Howie47
Just remember, most cops aren't setting around thinking about high
ideals all day. They are at the street level, of trying to maintain law and
order. When the adrenalin starts flowing; the brain starts going dead.

Yeah...

so the phrase "that's a reason, not an excuse" comes to mind...

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

we are getting this video from one point of view and is clearly edited.If we don't know what had transpired before or leading up to the event then it is just taking sides at that point.

I understand what you're saying but I can only go by what is currently available. It seems as if the anti-Police State people are always providing video and documented evidence for their claims, but the people who oppose them are always claiming it didn't happen and didn't happen how people say it happened while providing absolutely no evidence to back up their claims.

So it's hard to not take sides.

I realize we probably don't have both sides of the story, and I will change my opinion when we get evidence justifying the police action if it is good evidence and proves the protesters acted out of line.

But until we actually SEE this evidence rather than them just basically saying 'the evidence is there, we're just not going to show you', my opinion stands.

And another thing, just because we've only seen what appears to be a one sided video doesn't mean there's a second side. Maybe this "one side" is the only side?

Absence of evidence isn't evidence.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Yeah...

so the phrase "that's a reason, not an excuse" comes to mind...

And lets not forget,

Ignorance of the law is no excuse!

Last time I checked they are bound by the same thing we are, The Law.

But I guess when when you're the one enforcing it, its sure easier to bend the rules...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join