It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

anyone notice a lot of fake posts?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
So I left ATS for about a week to return to normal life and I come back and there are just so many fake / false posts. For examples posts like "Are aliens reading ATS?, Pokemons exist?" come on now. Seriously this is for Alien Sightings and UFO.

Should more people think before the post? Because there are some very interesting threads that are covered up with this really outrageous posts.

Does anyone else agree?

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I agree, I for one don't REALLY believe in Pokomen or
the fact that Aliens read ATS.
I mean, come on Lou, yer' paid for the women.

But I think if one stands back and looks at the bigger picture,
He/she may find... Waldo.

Now I'm not sayin' I've been everywhere and done everything,
but yer'd have to be pretty crazy to believe we're the only ones
on this planet.
What's in the flask egg?
Small moves Ellie...

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I dont think they are 'fake/false' posts..... the pokemon thing is a genuine site with actual people believing in that stuff........ and whether aliens read ats or not, i guess we will never know!

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
No one believes in Pokeman.. it's just fantasy... surely.
You don't mind if I call you Shirley?
Though I'm 42 years old and a big fan of 'You've Got
Mail', I have always believed in aliens visiting our planet.

My mom, she's always onto me about gettin' married, she
thinks all this ATS stuff is silly. She says that it's the
Government buildin' things, me I think their Zeta-Riticulans.

I own all the first Star-Trek series and I'm still struggling to
obtain Second Gen, although in many ways it was superior,
it will never be as respected as the original.

So I agree with Cosmicstorm on some points.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I wouldnt say fake or false posts

I would say however that in the last few months there have been more and more ridiculous posts with no evidence to back up what they are saying. Some people have also been avoiding ATS due to this. Its a sad reality

Not sure what the problem is? Maybe too many attention seekers are using the site

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
I wouldnt say fake or false posts

I would say however that in the last few months there have been more and more ridiculous posts with no evidence to back up what they are saying. Some people have also been avoiding ATS due to this. Its a sad reality

Not sure what the problem is? Maybe too many attention seekers are using the site

I agee.
It's like me right, my mom scoffs at the posters in my room,
there's the good old 'I want To Believe' poster and of course, the
classic... Rita Hayworth. I dunno, maybe I should get a job and
settle down, but with all the weird stuff goin' on in the skies above
us, don't you think I should stay at DEFCON4 and ready?

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I thought everyone knew I was kidding about the sea sponge, horses head and alien in a foiledwrapped and plunging bag. I thought it looked like that, but I didn't think that was actually all falling together. The pokeman stuff is more or less ridiculous. Maybe its disinfo, or worse.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
For the past couple years there have been ridiculous posts with no substantial evidence to support the claims there-in.

Oh well
whatever brings more commercial advertisement to this forum i guess.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I have noticed threads that seem posted just for the sake of posting. I just chalked it up to the time of year. Haven't school kids been going on spring break the last week or so?? They got nothing to do so they jump on here and post crazy things.

Off topic--- Ironman I find your posts hilarious, and was that a Wayne's World quote I read pertaining to star trek???

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
It's because the internet is a golden source to boost one's ego, and by post count numbers and attention and for points sake.. people will do anything on ATS.com to garner some sort of personality or fame.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Well, the Pokeman thread definitely had potential for a meaningful and relevant discussion in this forum but the longer it was active, the more silly it got.

I posted a comment in it but then deleted it when it became apparent to me that no one was reading over the information I posted and or commenting on it.

I said in that post that the day before I was doing some research on the net where I stumbled on a very interesting article by Dr. Steve Mizrach, a well known and esteemed physicist. And even though the article is about another subject matter where he pretty much echoed an on-going conversation by many European electrical engineers and physicists in the ITC field that's been going on now for several years now -- there's one section in his essay that I thought was relevant to the Pokeman thread; so I posted it in that thread and here's that section of that article:

William Gibson's book Count Zero discusses a strange future in which AI entities in cyberspace have taken on the personalities of deities from Haitian folklore, and even "possess" the minds of devotees. Gibson suggests that once computer networks reach a certain complexity, so will the AIs that exist on them... and that such AIs might eventually take on a consciousness and autonomy of their own. As I have suggested elsewhere, electronic technology depends on the mysterious numinous world described by Quantum Electrodynamics (QED.) QED makes the electronic computer, that supremely rational device, possible, but its equations also describe a world where action occurs at a distance and certainties are replaced by probabilities. At the level of the quantum (below the Planck length), some physicists expect, parallel universes may interpenetrate. Should we be surprised, then, that the computer puts us in touch with other worlds beyond our own?

Most importantly, there are increasing amounts of evidence that human consciousness emerges out of quantum properties in the brain. It may be the case that consciousness is a nonlocal quantum effect, and thus might appear in substrates other than human brains - perhaps in nonmaterial entities? Artificial life researchers are discovering that their computer-generated creations often seem to take on a sort of "life" of their own, beginning with the creators of the simple cellular-automata game of Life at MIT. Such AI beings can move from computer system to system; they are patterns of organization which are not dependent on any particular hardware platform. The evidence from complexity theory is that once AIs and ALs reach a certain level of organization, spontaneous jumps of "emergence" of new phenomena might occur. Perhaps the mysterious emergent phenomenon of self-consciousness? Might beings emerge within the interpenetrating field of quantum interactions known as cyberspace?

Source: www.fiu.edu...

[edit on 26-3-2008 by Palasheea]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masisoar
It's because the internet is a golden source to boost one's ego, and by post count numbers and attention and for points sake.. people will do anything on ATS.com to garner some sort of personality or fame.

Mate, we are on the same wavelength!

Ridiculous posts = controversy = Hits for Sponsors, Advertisers & Affiliates.

Everyones happy yeah?... well....no apparently!

One can't help think that some of the decision makers here are cutting off their nose despite their face. As mentioned, it kinda Alienates (no pun intended) the hard working members that are actually doing their best to Deny Ignorance.

I hope it's got something to do with school holidays and the kids will go away soon! However, I must admit that at it's core, the Pokemon Op does provide an interesting counterpoint. It's all the posts afterwards that are a bit of a worry.

All except mine that is
hehehe

Oh... and yours too Palasheea
. You shouldn't have deleted it!!!

[edit on 26/3/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I have to agree with this. I have seen many a serious thread with good potential (my own included
) that seem to have been totally disrgarded yet things like Pokemon and equally crazy threads get stacks of replies and go on for weeks. It makes one wonder if too much BTS is sneaking into ATS.
Admittedly I have been know to stick the big wooden spoon into the feacal pot for a bit of a stir but some threads are just plain wierd.

[edit on 26/3/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Well yes InfaRedMan, I was going to say....

So glad that you added that.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by xweaponx
So I left ATS for about a week to return to normal life and I come back and there are just so many fake / false posts. For examples posts like "Are aliens reading ATS?, Pokemons exist?" come on now. Seriously this is for Alien Sightings and UFO.

Should more people think before the post? Because there are some very interesting threads that are covered up with this really outrageous posts.

Does anyone else agree?

I don't disagree at all. I like to pierce the shell that some people have around subjects that I find fault in. There was one about Global Warming and Climate Change being a hoax, they were making fun of Al Gore and other environmentalists to a great extent.
Gladly, you don't see that on the list anymore.

There is another subject by which many people are contributing threads that I have thrown a "bomb" into, presently the subject is dead, but I'm still waiting to see what emerges. Some people call it spiritual "ascension", while they distort commonly held beliefs in favour of their own perceptions.

I use compelling arguments, and my own brand of logic to help people see through the fog. The "bomb" is intended to silence the perpetrators of these deceptions.

It's hard work, but somebody's got to do it.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Kinesis, it's good to see that you not carrying such hardships as a badge of nobility and your humility speaks for itself!
So glad that there are not more of those who are like you out there!!!

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kinesis

There is another subject by which many people are contributing threads that I have thrown a "bomb" into, presently the subject is dead, but I'm still waiting to see what emerges. Some people call it spiritual "ascension", while they distort commonly held beliefs in favour of their own perceptions.

I use compelling arguments, and my own brand of logic to help people see through the fog. The "bomb" is intended to silence the perpetrators of these deceptions.

What makes you think your logic is any better than the next guy?

For instance, I don't see you using any logic at all when what you profess to be doing is killing threads.

The one you set a "bomb" off in is pretty popular. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean other people won't.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kinesis
I don't disagree at all. I like to pierce the shell that some people have around subjects that I find fault in.

It's hard work, but somebody's got to do it.

I hear ya mate! We are of the same guild...(sorta) Unfortunately, I've lost a heap of points for it in the past so I've had to bite my tongue...

IRM.. NO!... NOoooo!

But it's like denying myself the last chip in the packet. I can't do it!

Not if I'm to be true to myself, my beliefs and logic.

Nothing wrong with a Logic Bomb!

[edit on 26/3/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
perhaps what some find to be ridiculous others may find to be true.

i do find it disheartening to see individuals make incredible first posts only to find out later it was all just a hoax. it truly does take away from of the more interesting posts.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
What makes you think your logic is any better than the next guy?

I don't think he/she is saying their logic is better. I think everyone has their own 'brand' of logic. Some we share together and others we don't.

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean other people won't.

Good point, this is also true.

At the end of the day, I think it's good that people feel passionate about the topics at ATS. It shows that we all care a lot, but just about different things and from different perspectives. Thank god we live in a place on Earth where we can freely (within decent limits) express ourselves!

I think that's the most important thing!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join