It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion, the new age of thinking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
A lot of people argue that religion is all a conspiracy. While some defenses seem logical, I have a few questions to ask to the people who honestly believe there is no G-d and that religion is all a conspiracy.

First of all, have you read the Bible?
Don't sit here and argue that you are right when you don't even have the facts straightened out.

How can every single prophet come to be 100% accuracy?

Is there any physical evidence that your theory could be right?

How do you explain miracles and signs?

How do you explain the perfect world we live in? (How a simple atom has so much scientific data behind it and yet, it couldn't have just come to be)

How can you explain demons and possessions?

I am in no way trying to offend anybody, but when you learn to love G-d and accept him, you start learning how the world around you works, with divine intervention so hard to really explain. We are the light who travel through the darkness who know the way and can see through the shadows. We can tell deception more easily than as the typical person. But how could you be so ignorant and naive in your beliefs when you have no proof at all whatsoever, and only opinions or theories?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Are you afraid of the letter "O".
You must be Canadian...darn you Canadians...we have ways to make you pronounce the letter "O"

GOD is awesome. Nothing else is. Its not so much about religion. Its more about spirituality IMHO. This is a journey for each man on their own.

I was born into a world of oil and cars. By the time I got here, the religion that controlled the masses had already become super corrupt. About as corrupt as the politicians that think they rule the world today. How could I ever know what part is right? This is where faith comes in I guess. Either you got it or you don't. Its not my problem. It's yours.

Peace Love and Eternal Groovieness

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
First of all, I'm not canadian. I'm American. The reason I don't put an "O" in G-d is because of religous tradition. It's because you don't want his name to be used in vain or deleted or changed, etc.

Second of all, damn canadians? You my good friend are racist.

Third of all, its not my "problem". It's your problem when you go to hell. I'm the one who gets to go to heaven.

I'm wasn't trying to offend anybody but you just offended me. This is the exact stupidity and ignorance I speak of when I posted.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by xbryboyremix
First of all, I'm not canadian. I'm American. The reason I don't put an "O" in G-d is because of religous tradition. It's because you don't want his name to be used in vain or deleted or changed, etc.

but putting a dash instead of a letter O is changing it. Its pronounced God not Geedashdee.

Second of all, damn canadians? You my good friend are racist.

Nope. Not what I said. Just a joke, not funny i guess.

Third of all, its not my "problem". It's your problem when you go to hell. I'm the one who gets to go to heaven.

Yes it is your problem, as much as it is mine.

I'm wasn't trying to offend anybody but you just offended me.

I am sorry.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

A lot of people argue that religion is all a conspiracy. While some defenses seem logical, I have a few questions to ask to the people who honestly believe there is no G-d and that religion is all a conspiracy.

Don't sit here and argue that you are right when you don't even have the facts straightened out.

Hardly fair, how many people have read deeply into evolution and scientific theory before passing judgement on it against religion?

Why must atheists and such be on the back foot here by default?

Profits are accurate now? I'm yet to see how, I mean unless you're talking about the stories in the bible itself but that's hardly certifiable evidence...

Yes, in fact there's a ridiculous amount of it. It's just that religious people seem to think that one single unverifiable book from a loooong time ago somehow defeats a mountain of scientific work conducted over hundreds of lifetimes.

This relates back to question 1, on how it is unfair to say that we must read the bible to comment. If you'd read enough here, you'd know there is an insane amount of physical evidence to back it up.

In before comments on how you can't can't disprove god totally. Hey guess what? I'm going to come back from the dead in 10002300303 years and exactly 730 hours after my death. Can't disprove it can you? I mean, it could happen, there's no way that you can say it 100% won't... Yep.

In the logical manner, with leaps of faith, coincidences and a hell of a lot of hope that something 'more' is out there. Plus you can pretty much interpret anything to be a sign. Ahh crap, it's 2:44AM! That's a sign that my GPA will be 2.44 if I don't go to bed and study, waaah!

How do you explain the perfect world we live in? (How a simple atom has so much scientific data behind it and yet, it couldn't have just come to be)

Because we've evolved to suit the world as it is, additionally if it wasn't at least remotely habitable no life would've been here to evolve anyway, so we wouldn't be commenting on it. There's actually better explanations for this one, this is the weakest of the arguments, but someone else can pick that point up, I'm tired.

Some people love attention, they really do. Some people are just nuts, some people don't want to say they don't believe to the people they love.

But how could you be so ignorant and naive in your beliefs when you have no proof at all whatsoever, and only opinions or theories?

Right back at you... @_@

As with the OP, not trying to offend anyone, but I am being harsh about it I suppose.

[edit on 28/3/08 by Duality]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Call it a brainfart, but i actually think it's quite likely that Religion came before Science (intellectually) - in a way it may have contributed to humanity's dawning of Abstract Intelligence.

Probable, even - as that which is Abstract is born from within the Imagination, but the Imagination itself requires the information that we receive via our senses.

Put simply;

Spiritual Sensation = Abstract Realisation + Physical Awareness.

That's pretty crude, but i do believe that i'm right.

What one would think of this is up to the individual.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I wouldn't say that religion is a conspiracy in and of itself, though it's often used by governments to control the populace. I'd say it's willful brainwashing inspired by fear of death.

Having been raised in a Christian family, I've read all (or at least most) of the Bible.

In most cases, the only substantiation of the prophet's claim also comes from the Bible. It's basically using a document to prove it's own claims. Plus, many prophecies are so vague that they could mean a variety of things.

The very nature of organized religion is people putting faith in an unprovable concept, then gathering and listening to someone tell them how to live their lives based on it. There's absolutely no physical evidence in support of a God, and yet people are willing to throw their lives away for the concept. Seems like self-brainwashing to me. "Doublethink" as Orwell might say.

How do you explain magic tricks?

This is a flawed perspective. Humans assume that just because everything they use on a day-to-day basis was created by a human, that naturally occurring things must have been created by some higher power.

But, in reality, God is just another add-on with no supporting evidence. For instance-

God created the Universe- God just exists.
or
The Universe just exists.

By the scientific principle Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation tends to be the correct one.

Furthermore, almost every single claim made in the Bible is unfalsifiable. If a logical hole is discovered, Christians will just claim, "who can know the mind of god?"

For instance, if God created everything, and evil exists, then God had to have created evil. And yet, one of Christianity's primary tenets is that God is entirely good.

The mind is a much more powerful thing than I think you give it credit for. I'd guess mental problems such as schizophrenia are to blame in most cases.

But how could you be so ignorant and naive in your beliefs when you have no proof at all whatsoever, and only opinions or theories?

I'm sorry, but it sounds like you just described yourself. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and so far there's none (or very little) in support of a supreme being. What reason have you to believe in one, besides to alleviate fear of death and facing the world without help?

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I have read the bible, I have also read a shed load of other books as well. So now I'm very confused.

I am convinced the whole of Christianity was based on a slightly exaggerated truth. The corruption and lies that spill out of the vatican amaze me.

So to be safe I took god, sorry g_d, out of religion and now find myself at ease, I am now head of my own religion. I will go to heaven because my religion says so, and no one can join me, it's my 11th commandment 'my religion will only have one person in it .. me'.

what I'm saying is to believe in god is fine but do you really have to go to church to say so?

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
You guys have brought up some very good points but let me ask you one question which I doubt anyone will ever be able to answer.

Since I have had a recent exposure to religion and drawn myself closer to G-d, I've had so much more eye opening experiences to the world around me. I've had so many signs from G-d that it couldn't just be a coincidence. For example:

My friend was shot in a drive by shooting, his name was Julian. I was worried if he went to heaven or hell because he was in a gang and according to the Bible, murder is a major sin, but I had no idea if he had gone that far before.

The very second I asked G-d if he went to heaven, a show called "A Different World" came up on TV and they started the episode up by saying "It's ok! Julian is ok! He's safe."

Now there is no way that was just a coincidence because I've had encounters like this before that are just to omnipotent and divine to have been by luck. Do you know of the chances for that to happen to me? This type of stuff also happens to other people too that are religious because they have a closer relationship to G-d.

I think of it like this, If you have a friend that is close and you ask for a favor, of course they will help. But if they weren't close, sure it'll take some thinking and time. That is why some people don't always get what they pray for. I guess it's a lesson or something.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

You guys have brought up some very good points but let me ask you one question which I doubt anyone will ever be able to answer... I've had so many signs from G-d that it couldn't just be a coincidence....

There are plenty of people who believe in astrology because their horoscopes supposedly come true all the time.

If you look for divine signs, you'll find them.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by SamuraiDrifter]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Or maybe they look for you all the time but you just never noticed?

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Just because I believe religion is a conspiracy doesn't mean I don't believe in God. I've stated many times on this site and elsewhere that I consider ALL religions to be both conspiricies and cults, for no other reason than they close your mind to the broader realities.

I'm a Spiritual Anarchist. I believe that to truly get to know the creator of all things you must overcome the Dogma and lies that are religion. Religion is spiritual slavery, nothing more. Free the chains on your mind and the chains on your soul will melt away.

And for the record, I have read the Bible. Hell, both my parents were hell fire and brimstone Pentecostal ministers. I lived in the church coming up and had to attend every service.

So, I believe dearly in the creator, I just don't believe in religion.

join