It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best CCW place for summer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I live where it's hot most of the year. I also live in an urban city. I'm getting my CCW finally and concealed isn't a problem in the winter with a jacket but spring, summer and fall it's far too hot outside for a coat. So cross out shoulder holster and hip holster will protrude so what else? My thoughts are cargo shorts but still couldn't leave a gun loosely sitting in a pocket in case you had to run and it starts bouncing up and down in the pocket, that's nooooo good. So a detachable holster that goes inside a cargo pocket seems the only likely and practical solution. I would like to see more alternatives than that.

What are some of your carry styles for the minimal clothes months?

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Check out 5.11 tactical gear and Blackhawk gear, they usually leave no whishes open.
5.11 tactical especially have a wide array of concealed carry clothes, your best chance to finde something is most probably there.

I hope this helps.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Inside the waistband type holsters might be a decent bet. Another might be a loose shirt and a check-six holster (sits your weapon at the small of your back).

DE

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Depends on what you carry really.

Somethign really small COULD be held nicely in your cargo pants pocket, just don't go jogging
Seriously though, if your carrying something little very few situations would call for you to run. We are not talking Sit-X and NWO stormtroopers, just loonies at the mall or a hold up at 7-11. I am thinking liek a littel .22 revolver or even that little 9mm Kel-Tec makes.

I used to carry my charter arms underover in my cargo pocket.
Since then I switched to a small 1911 type .45acp. Very flat and short (single stack, 3 inch barrel) so I carry in a in waistband holster at the small of my back. I don't tuck my t-shirts into my shorts so for summer time it's great!

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I used a Khaki fishing vest for many years. It had 4 deep pockets and wash sport jersey material in the on the sides and across the shoulder. The 2 bottom pocket were pleated and could put a ton of stuff in the, not just a my Llama Micro Max .380 and 2 extra capacity magazines. I killed a rabid raccoon with it on a camping trip. My 2 camping buddies went scrambling for their guns and I just pulled out my Llama and put one center-mass on him. Everyone dogs the .380 but with good hollowpoint ammo , it's every bit as effective as 9mm ball or .38 special and I wouldn't want to get hit with any of them.
My buddies always wonder why I wore that vest everywhere when not on duty. They didn't wonder anymore. Never talk about your CCW permit within anyone you wouldn't trust with your life. The rabid antigunners will get totally inflamed and will make trouble for you at the slightest provocation. I had it happen at one job after I retired from the military. My boss asked me not to carry while at work and I asked was this company policy and he said no. I said that I would continue to carry then. I asked him how he found out and he said one of my co-workers came to him and said that my CCW made him very nervous. The job wasn't great and I gave him my 2 weeks notice before the end of the day but before I left I confronted the cowardly coworker publicly in front of the rest of my co-workers about not speaking to me first before running to the boss. The business wasn't in the nicest part of town and about a month after I left it was robbed at gunpoint and the tattler got his wallet stolen. In less than 3 hours, they racked up over $2K dollars worth of charges on his credit card at various electronics stores.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Small of my back isn't bad and an inside of the waist holster is ok too.

reply to post by crgintx

I do prefer to carry on my chest/shirt over pants if it has to be concealed. Thanks for the insight, I doubt I'll let anyone know I carry. That situation I would want to avoid especially if it's a legal one. Kind of weird when I live in a more gun friendly state but I can't pack in any establishment that serves booze yet California which is a very unfriendly gun state you can carry in any bar and virtually anywhere.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
An inside-the-waistband holster in the small of the back will conceal well assuming you don't spend a lot of time stooping over or sitting down.

You can still carry strong side outside the waistband if you use a decent holster and a long T-shirt. I have done this plenty of times. You can also carry strong side IWB, but you'll have to wear trousers & belt about one size wider than usual.

IWB is a good carry method. Remember that for IWB carry, a pistol with a longer slide/barrel will make weapon retention and stability easier with little or no impact on concealment as the trousers cover the slide. If carrying outside the waistband a weapon with a shorter slide is preferred as it will aid concealment.

Some people go for bum bags (fanny packs) for concealed carry. I think they look a bit stupid and you may as well hang a big "Hi-i'm-carrying-a-pistol-so-make-sure-you-shoot-me-in-the-back-of-the-head" sign around your waist instead.

If you're gonna carry in your pocket then make sure you have one of those wee pocket holsters. If you don't the pistol grip probably won't be where you think it is when you have to draw quickly, making you dead.

Whatever you choose, don't skimp on any part of your pistol/magazine/holster/mag pouch combo. Each part is a potentially life saving piece of equipment and should be treated as such. A poor choice in any of these can lead to slow and inefficient draw times which could cost you your life. Choose wisely.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I've used 'ThunderWear' and I enjoy the freedom of being able to tuck my shirt in. I have carried a 38 Air, 380 and a seecamp. Don't even know I'm carrying with those. Carried a Glock 19 pretty easily and pushed the outer limits with a Glock 21. Only one time was it noticed and the lady suggested I was a rather well hung fellow. Thunderwear.com. I have no affiliation.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I've used 'ThunderWear' and I enjoy the freedom of being able to tuck my shirt in. I have carried a 38 Air, 380 and a seecamp. Don't even know I'm carrying with those. Carried a Glock 19 pretty easily and pushed the outer limits with a Glock 21. Only one time was it noticed and the lady suggested I was a rather well hung fellow. Thunderwear.com. I have no affiliation.

That's pretty interesting. Is it good with draw times though? Definitely looks secure and no worries about running/shaking but is it actually comfortable? Does it chafe?

I looked into clipdraw and that's not bad. I'm going to try a few different things I guess and see which I like best.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Use a belly band, which is an elastic girdle looking thing with space for your weapon and a spare magazine.

There are also several fanny packs with built in holsters.

new topics

top topics

join