It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mahdi Army arrested 17 American soldiers ( Not Confirmed Yet )

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Mahdi Army arrested 17 American soldiers ( Not Confirmed Yet )

www.roadstoiraq.com

Just reported from Alwasatonline reporter in Basra, Mahdi Army managed to arrest 17 American soldiers, and seizes 7 hummer military vehicles, because of these developments the Iraqi government offered to negotiates with MA but Muqtada Al-Sadr refused any negotiations, also 250 Iraqi soldiers gave themselves up to Mahdi Army.

Key bridge, connecting Basra city to Al-Kurnah is destroyed by Mahdi Army.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
We all see that situation has turn ugly in past 24 hours, but US really surrender to its enemy? BREAKING NEWS!!!

Thats a real proof of great power Mahdi has in region... But like I post in headline, there is no confirm for this news, and its only one reporter who has make this announcement so far.

Lets see...

For those who can read the orginal news:
wasatonline.com...

www.roadstoiraq.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Not that I am either pro-War or a believer in the absolute power of the US military, but I really do not see the US allowing 17 of it's men, plus 250 Iraqi troops get captured. They'd be calling in air support, gunships, the works.

And to corner 267 armed men so they surrender, you'd need a whole wedge of armed men yourself, perhaps 2 or 3 times the amount, with the surrendees being out of ammo or something.

I'd be more inclined to believe it if it was supported by other sources.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I have to agree with Stumason,

All the links listed on with the article seem to link back to the same article.

Will do a search of the news across the pond and see if anything comes up.

also they say "arrested" rather then captured

EDIT to add:

Nothing on any of the msm sites as of yet.

[edit on 26-3-2008 by Grailkeeper]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I agree, all the scenarios leading to this being true are highly unlikely, as you said the US military would not allow such a thing to happen given our resources and capability in the area.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
According to a news release referencing the OP article, there's been additional bombing of the "Green Zone:"

There is also reports about American warplanes involvement in the fights, and the Green Zone was bombed again at 8 O’clock p.
informationclearinghouse | Mahdi Army arrested 17 American soldiers

Which is confirmed by these additional, divergent sources:

Baghdad - The Mahdi Army's seven-month-long cease-fire appears to have come undone.

Rockets fired from the capital's Shiite district of Sadr City slammed into the Green Zone Tuesday, the second time in three days, and firefights erupted around Baghdad pitting government and US forces against the militia allied to the influential Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr.

At the same time, the oil-export city of Basra became a battleground Tuesday as Iraqi forces, backed by US air power, launched a major crackdown on the Mahdi Army elements. British and US forces were guarding the border with Iran to intercept incoming weapons or fighters, according to a senior security official in Basra.
The Christian Science Monitor | Across Iraq, battles erupt with Mahdi Army

And:

Mortar shells blast into "Green Zone," bomb targets US patrol in eastern Baghdad as US, regime forces launch open offensive against Jaysh al-Mahdi militia Tuesday.

In a dispatch posted on its Arabic website at 8pm Tuesday night Beijing time (3pm in Baghdad), the Xinhua News Agency reported that three mortar shells had blasted into the top-security area around the Republican Palace in central Baghdad – the area dubbed the "Green Zone" by the Americans on Tuesday.
Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Tuesday, 25 March 2008

Also:

BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraqi forces clashed with Shiite militiamen Tuesday in the southern oil port of Basra and rockets rained down on the U.S.-protected Green Zone in Baghdad as followers of Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr expanded a nationwide backlash against government crackdowns.
The Associated Press | Iraqi Troops, Militias Clash in Basra

So at least part of the story can be confirmed.

However, no additional information on "17 American soldiers arrested" at this time.

[edit on 26-3-2008 by goosdawg]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I waited confirm for this news for hours, but place where I get it first, has also drop news out, so its probably without any true, and can not confirm.

MOD can delete this threat.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I SERIOUSLY doubt ANY US soldier would allow themselves to be taken under any circumstance. Does Somalia ring a bell for anyone? How outnumbered were those soldiers? Did they allow themselves to be "arrested?" Not gonna happen....

Sounds like Al-Sadr propaganda to me...

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Sadr is playing a dangerous game, the last time he tried this, in Karbala, he ended up running away with his tail between his legs, after getting badly beaten and bruised. The Mahdi Army is just a rag tag group with no real fighting force other than small arms and RPG's and some mortars. Should they stand and fight, they will be torn apart again.

I can't see the reports being true to the captures, with out further confirmation.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I think they use "arrest" in order to give the Mahdi Army an air of authority and legitimacy. They are just a militia without any powers of arrest, as are understood by law. This is would be akin to a so-called militia in the US (such as the Montana Freemen) attempting to arrest someone.

[edit on 26-3-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The links below are not about the soldiers being captured, but about the Mahdi army confrontation:

Iraqi PM gives Basra gunmen ultimatum

Iraq's prime minister on Wednesday gave gunmen in the southern oil port of Basra a three-day deadline to surrender their weapons and renounce violence as clashes between Shiite militia fighters and Iraqi security forces erupted for a second day.

A resumption of intense fighting by al-Sadr's Mahdi Army militia could kill more U.S. soldiers and threaten - at least in the short run - the security gains Washington has hailed as a sign that Iraq is on the road to recovery.

The burgeoning crisis - part of an intense power struggle among Shiite political factions - also will test the skill and resolve of Iraq's Shiite-led government in dealing with Shiite militias, with whom the national leadership had maintained close ties.

The Sadrists are angry over recent raids and detentions, saying U.S. and Iraqi forces have taken advantage of the cease-fire to crack down on the movement.

They also have accused rival Shiite parties, which control Iraqi security forces, of engineering the arrests to prevent them from mounting an effective election campaign. The showdown with al-Sadr has been brewing for months but has accelerated since parliament agreed in February to hold provincial elections by the fall.

Iraqis walk through the remnants of Jamila market following clashes between Mahdi Army fighters and Iraqi and U.S. forces, in Sadr City, in Baghdad, Iraq, Wednesday, March 26, 2008. (AP Photo/Karim Kadim)

Looks like the US occupation is really curbing the violence
Next people will equate the Mahdi army with al qaeda...

Street battle as army tackles militants

The fighting, sparked by a crackdown on militant and criminal activity, prompted the radical Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al Sadr to threaten a "civil revolt" across the nation.

Battles raged in Basra from early morning in areas controlled by his Mehdi Army militia as troops and police launched a major crackdown on armed groups.

However, Sadr warned he would launch protests and a nationwide strike if the attacks were not stopped.

"We demand that religious and political leaders intervene to stop the attacks on poor people," he said in a statement.

Fighting also erupted in Baghdad when Mehdi militiamen attacked offices of the rival Sadr militia.

The Sadrists and Mahdi Army are engulfing this country in a massive civil war. So much for the US military presence.

Mahdi Army:

Sadr and his army:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I would have to agree with the nay-sayers here. There's no way 250+ US troops surrendered.

Most plausible scenario is the negotiators are discussing how to resolve this situation.

Besides, this website does not look too credible. It could be a disinformation site for insurgents. Or a propaganda site.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I would have to agree with the nay-sayers here. There's no way 250+ US troops surrendered.

The claim was that 250 Iraqi soldiers surrendered.

IMHO I suspect the Iraqi soldiers who surrendered probably betrayed some Americans attached to their unit.

This has the smell of Iran and hostage taking like the Royal Marines captured a while back in the Shat el'arab. It's quite clear to me that all this uprising has been ordered from Tehran in response to Saudia Arabia leaking from Cheney's visit that a first strike is imminent.

Verse 9.11 of the holy Quran:

"For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a fearsome Eagle.
The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands of Allah while
some of the people trembled in despair still more rejoiced: for the wrath
of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah and there was peace."

[edit on 26-3-2008 by sy.gunson]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

No the Mahdi army is run by Iran and are basically a copy of Hesbola. Iran loves the fact that they have this proxy and they will always start trouble as they have promised to do so until we leave and then you know they will try to take over Iraq as they are the strongest militia force in Iraq. The U.S. and Israel have set up a strong defence in case Hesbola in Lebanon attacks Israel as revenge for killing their second in command a month or so ago in Syria, Witch they have no proof Israel was to blame anyway except is was done well. This move makes it look as the U.S. and Israel are getting ready to attack Hesbola so Iran gets the Mahdi army to start trouble as a distraction and will now pay the piper. Hopefully we take down this Mahdi militia and Hesbola while we are at it and isolate Iran that way instead of attacking them directly cause then that leaves its terrorist in place to retaliate everywhere for us attacking Iran if we decide to do so. I don't like the fact that our troops are over there just as much as you Big but Iran you know has been responsible for allot of the violence that has killed allot of people through this Mahdi Militia so hopefully the Iraqi army and the U.S. stomps them hard for starting the violence back up so our troops can come home and rebuild their lives with their family's.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
No Hezbollah is armed much better, trained better, has a better command structure and has actual combat experience. The Mahdi army is Little League where Hezbollah is pretty much the AAA team minus the aircraft and armor to make it to the Pros. They are a far more potent fighting force than the Mahdi army.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I have not seen any reports emerge of this on CNN or BBC so maybe this story is disinformation ?

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The report from the OP says, "250 Iraqi soldiers gave themselves up to Mahdi Army." Here is a translated version.

I still do not understand why Iraqis would join the very force who is destroying their country. Perhaps this massive number of soldiers voluntarily "surrendered".

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Thats because in Lebanon they have Syria and Iran sending them weapons and logistics. In Iraq its much harder for them to get so many weapons like Hesbola has because the U.S. troops are there. U.N. and some NATO troops in Lebanon turn a blind eye to what Hesbola gets so they don't get their way outnumbered butts killed while they are there.

Southern Lebanon has been gone over pretty good by the NATO troops and thats why Hesbola is holding up in the Beka valley stockpiling weapons like mad. That is also why Syria has just moved 3 army divisions to the border there with them to back them up should Israel make them run like the chickens that they are back into the arms of their Syrian brothers. Hesbola wont have many civilian homes to hide in this time and Israel will stomp Syria should they try to do anything about it as well. They will get the wrath of the IDF should they try to tickle the tail of the tiger again. I know a man who grew up with Nasralla and trust me, He is a chicken pooh little bully that is terrified of Israel.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I still disagree, given equal access to weaponry, Hezbollah would kick the Mahdi's army behind. They are much better fighters than the part time Mahdi's are, pretty much a Revolutinary Guard minus the armor and air support. They are probably better trained than most Syrian units for that matter.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I hope those soldiers, being war crimes suspects, get the same treatment the US gives terror suspects: waterboarding and electroshock torture. I would love them report these things on aljazeera for the world to see what a criminal regime the US has become.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join