It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rats 'learn to use tools'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Rats 'learn to use tools'

www.news.com.au

RODENTS can be trained to use tools and understand their functions, a Japanese study said today, challenging a view that only primates and some birds are smart enough.

Six adult "degus" rodents, a kind of small rat, were trained at a laboratory at the Japanese government-funded RIKEN research institute and all of them were able to use a tiny T-shaped rake to retrieve food, it said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
afp.google.com

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   

In one test they were given two tools - a familiar functional rake and a non-functional tool that lacked a blade or had a raised blade. They chose the functional one without hesitation in most cases.

I actually find this fascinating as i currently have my pet rat running around my desk. Once again science questions our modern views on something and animals are doing something we would not think they could.

I wonder what else certain animals can do with training. Are we not all just products of training and conditioning at some level?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
When I first saw this headline, I thought they were talking about republicans.

Well, I was close.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Hey ima republican. please dont tell me your a billary democrat.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I'm sure that the rats are not Republican or Democrat,
Please Stay on Topic.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
And when I read the headline, I thought they were talking about the new Genetically engineered super-smart mice.

"Same thing we do every night, Pinky....."

Narf.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
A buddy of mine has one of these and its pretty damn cute.

Although, so far all we've been able to "train" it to do, is come to the edge of the cage and get its cheeks scratched...Its still smart enough to smile at you though.

Either way, neat, ill have to let him know.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Quick, we must destroy them before they rise up and usurp our standing at the top of the food-chain!

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Apparently there's more to why some ancient and even modern people worship rats! I think that sometimes humans as a whole undermine the power of life and it blinds us of what some "lesser creatures" are capable of and their importance to the cycle of life.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sacreligion
Apparently there's more to why some ancient and even modern people worship rats! I think that sometimes humans as a whole undermine the power of life and it blinds us of what some "lesser creatures" are capable of and their importance to the cycle of life.

One of the things that really intrigues me about rats and hence why i have one as a pet is their intelligence.

It took me around 10mins to teach it to 'come', beat that dogs. She can work out complex problems like how to reach destinations to get food.

When doing research they propose that this intelligence is because they have been engineered and brought up in environments like labs. I guess over time maybe intelligence can be learned. Look at us and our education systems.

Are we actually intelligent? Or is it just learned? Check this link (also in my signature) for a hypothetical discussion on the topic.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I have had and bred rats for most of my life. They really are the best pet I have ever had. Not only are they more intelligent than my dog, but they are more playful and cuddly too. They really can be your best friend in no time.

The downside to them as pets, is they do not live long so you are left heartbroken everytime you take on a new best friend. I suggest them as a first pet, or a pet to anyone who is not "afraid" of them.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I thought that this was worth bringing back to life with yet another example of an animal using a tool for food:

Orangutan attempts to hunt fish with spear

Something else that came up in that thread was a video of a crow bending wire to create a hook to get to its food:

World’s Smartest Crow

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
There is a video out there showing a crow taking and bending a straight piece of wire and making a hook, the using the newly made tool to retrieve its treat.

So it's safe to say Scientist's continue to be proven wrong after reporting years ago humans are the only ones intelligent enough to utilize tools.

I guess Science still doesn't have all the answers.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

The thing i am interested in pursuing is when giving an animal a tool to use in order to get past an obstacle, is it really the same as the animal finding a tool and using it to make something easier for them?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
God, I spend too much time here. When I read the title, the first thing my mind went to was Really Above Top Secret (R.A.T.S).

I am siding with Alexandro on this one. It is hard to believe that scientists are just now discovering this. Did our arrogance make us blind to it, or have animals been watching us long enough that they are now figuring it out?

new topics

top topics

join