It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can see for miles!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I've always worn glasses, I think from the age of about 7 or 8.

Myopia. Fairly strong correction or the order of 4 diopters.

At any rate, my prescription was tested in Dec. and I think the doc had it somewhat wrong.

Since my reg. doc was on medical leave, his partner checked me and discovered that my actual correction not as strong.

I was being fitted for new contacts so they were working with me to find the right type. I had complained that the last type I tried seem much too strong.

I had taken to wearing a pair of reading glasses over top the contacts. This seemed to have the effect of reducing the over-correction.

Anyway...I just got my new pair in and BAM! I can see like a champ. It's amazing; startling even.

It was funny because in the office the doc kept saying 'how about now...' working around the area of the old over-correction.

I laughed and said 'Doc, I can't see a thing. I'm failing this test'.

Then he shifted down a relatively big jump after having me look through a set of hand held lenses and suddenly I could see everything.

Of course I figure I was just going blind. So I asked him (they never volunteer anything!) 'Am I doomed or what?'

He laughed and said, 'no, the lenses are better'.

I said 'Huh? Do you mean the lenses are stronger or my eyes are "better"'.

'Your eyes are better.'

Whew.

Of course, it's a bit of an illusion, since the reversal of myopia due to presbyopia is just because the lens of the eye loses some ability to focus, and in relaxing the lens

Wiki

With myopia, the eyeball is too long, or the cornea is too steep, so images are focused in the vitreous inside the eye rather than on the retina at the back of the eye.

Suffice it to say, it's pretty cool to be able to see well again. The sad thing is I think my old doc had tested me wrong and had me wearing too strong lenses for about the last 5 years.

Now, I need new glasses also. I was looking pretty funny trying to adapt by wearing reading glasses on top of my regular glasses,

Oh, yeah...now I don't need reading glasses. YAY!!

[edit on 26-3-2008 by Badge01]

join