It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poverty does indeed have a cure

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
With the current state of poverty in the world today, more prevelant than ever before, it would be wise to examine all avenues to alleviate this cumbersome burden from a society of the willing and the educated. All people have their place in society, and must have a usefulness, lest they become a burden upon us all.

[[Click Here]] to read a method that was proposed by a learned man of society some many years ago.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Surely you aren't advocating this? It's barbaric to even be presented.

This would be the sinking to the lowest of lows of humanity, and there would be no turning back.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
It's satire...

And it's brilliant!

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Perhaps I chose the wrong time of day to post, so I will try now to bring this back to the forefront of attention this once.

Regardless of your opinions, please don't forget to flag, lest such considerations be made unnoticed.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
There's better ways of curing poverty. I would never eat another human being unless it was a life saving situation and that human was already dead. Laws would be good for poverty. Like only allowing a certain amount of child bearing per woman. Stop all these wars that use alot of money to fund and use that money for better jobs and education. That's the key word " education ". But no way would I ever advocate eating humans no matter how useless or poor they may be.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Haha... That's a classic piece of thinking right there.

Do you think the poor of India or China would taste better or maybe the French poor would have that je na sais quoi that the French do!

This food would likewise bring great custom to taverns; where the vintners will certainly be so prudent as to procure the best receipts for dressing it to perfection, and consequently have their houses frequented by all the fine gentlemen, who justly value themselves upon their knowledge in good eating:

"Do you fancy going t'local for sweet'n'sour 3 year old."

MonKey

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Why just stop with not letting more than a few women have children? One of the surplus women may accidently become pregant. I have a better idea only allow a few women to be born. Then you would really cut back on the worlds population. I just feel sorry for the poor trollops who would end up servicing the sort of vile men who would tolerate such an abuse of all things feminine. It will be over my dead body that self bloated elites will be allowed to pick and choose which women are allowed to breed.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
To be fair, I should cross-reference the thread which motivated my OP here.

Sterilise parents receiving government benefits, says Tory

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

I hear ya! I'm all about children. " I have six " That's why I like the education part better. No one should be told how many kids to have, but I know alot of women that have them for government support. I still don't want to see children being served up on a platter, it's not their fault. I say serve the woman on the platter that had kids and couldn't afford them.

ChiKeyMonKey: You're to funny!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Well, no one else has rung in on the issue, so I guess its beh-beh for me belleh.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Really. Because all I did was laugh. Are you seriously trying to use Swift as a cure for poverty? Satire. Sarcasm. Black Comedy. He was making fun.

Or have I had my classic lit. all wrong all these years?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bobafett1972

Or have I had my classic lit. all wrong all these years?

We read this when I was in college. It was presented in a section on "persuasive argument." Right or wrong, satire or no, you wouldn't believe what portion of that class found the proposal acceptable without many "reservations", though some agreed it was not quite to their own personal "taste."

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Its a weak way out of a Serious problem... Being Poor is a Result Not a sickness, Not a situation that person caused, its becuz we price Everything an leave nothing Natural anmore... Im sorry But Who pays to have the Coal Form in the 1st place.... Whos making the oil, the metal for the cars, the sunshine an water for the plants, yes you pay to " et " them but tht means ou et to make others Poor for your gain....

We live in a barbaric way of life, Value isnt about how much something is it should be about who someone is....

Find a Solution, Not a Idiotic Means to fll your belly.....

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

So you went to college with a bunch of crazies?

I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout.

Personal taste or not, the fact that they would agree to such absurdity is sort of Hannibal the Cannibal-ish. Or am I just as creepy for finding all too funny?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
ROTFLMAO!

I had caught the intent of the piece before the fourth paragraph, but the reading had me laughing so hard I just had to finish it. What is even more funny is that a few posters were shocked it! Now I wonder how many of them will actually look at the poverty cures being touted by the elite and see them for what they are?

Brilliant satire, and well done. Since it is the custom in my occupation to offer someone who has done a worthy thing a steak dinner, may I suggest the flame-broiled kid?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I just can't help myself...

...and now you'll wish you hadn't...

Second helping

This is actually a good jam here...

[edit on 3/27/0808 by jackinthebox]

[edit on 3/27/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Satire always has a grain of truth. While swift was not serious in his modest proposal, the contempt the English had for the Irish was a serious problem for the Irish during his time. Swift knew reason and appeals to the basic humanity of the people who thought the only good Irish was a dead Irish was a waste of time. Satire is always malicious.

When people come up with outrageous plans for ridding our society of the unwanted, they should be seen as a threat to everyone.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by eradown
reply to post by TheRedneck

Satire always has a grain of truth. While swift was not serious in his modest proposal, the contempt the English had for the Irish was a serious problem for the Irish during his time. Swift knew reason and appeals to the basic humanity of the people who thought the only good Irish was a dead Irish was a waste of time. Satire is always malicious.

When people come up with outrageous plans for ridding our society of the unwanted, they should be seen as a threat to everyone.

Satire may have truth in it but it isn't always the truth one thinks it is.
My point? Ummm, Jonathan Swift was pretty Irish. So, the contempt as you call it was actually the other way around. and no, satire is not always malicious. It wasn't an outrageous plan. It was just a satirical paper. You last line basically says that anyone who writes comedy/satire and says something preposterous, should be considered a threat?

Now that's entertainment!

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bobafett1972

I happen to like satire. Satire if it is good involves frustrating problems for which there are no easy solutions. The root of satire is usually something malicious. I'm sorry you have mistaken me for a book burner.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Perhaps we should review the irony of the second video. "I Eat Cannibals."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join