It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth About Hurricane Katrina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Posted because this deserves to be seen...

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

There are sobering lessons to be learned here.

I hope that I will never have need for them.

:shk:

[edit on 25-3-2008 by loam]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Video 1:
-He admits the family COULD have left, chose to stay and its now someone elses fault...even though they were all warned over and over this was going to be a bad storm.

-Next day MOM tells him to MOVE his car the water is rising. So again, they chose to stay.

-Water is rising, they move family valuables to the attic...good idea. Water keeps rising trip after trip to the attic...they keep going back and forth INSTEAD OF worrying about there health and well being...bad idea.

-He admits the water is getting to chest level...so instead of getting outside to be seen clearly where someone could get to them or get supplies to them, they instead retreat to the attic with NOTHING!

- He says news choppers are flying above the houses, and see them through the window, but no rescue helicopters. Problem: YOUR IN THE ATTIC SLICK...NO RESCUE CAN BE MADE ON YOU BY CHOPPER!!!

Video 2:
-I think the kids full of ----! IMO

-He stood there for 6 hours....I stood in line at Disney in 100 degree weather for 4 hours to get onto a new ride! I understand they lost a lot, and it was tragic but my god if your going to make this racial, or classist, or do whatever it is he is doing in this vid, make sure you stick to the flood destroying your home and stop complaining about the aid you recieved. Just because they didn't put you up in a new house or hotel within 10 minutes doesn't mean MANY people wheren't down there VOLUNTERALY helping you!!!!!!!!

Video 3:
-So first he says everyone is calm and helping each other and acting civil. Now they have NOWHERE to go, yet he now says when the busses pull up and the military tries to get them ALL on in an orderly fashion they DO INFACT start to act like animals. Bumrushing, fighting, etc... Hmmmmm! And yet he now wants to blame the military for the poor behavior of the people.

-Then again blames the "white" military leaders for the actions of everyone there. So in other words DON'T blame the animals who can't simply wait in line. Bottom line, sounds like some people are so used to having EVERYONE else help them they had NO IDEA how to help themselves!

-He says people were acting like this because they were desperate....ok I got the desperate part but the HELP WAS THERE! The buses were taking them to food, water, shelter, etc....The military was giving them water, etc...yet they still try to damage/destroy the help their getting...makes no sense!

---------------
White families shared in the tragedy, A LOT of people suffered...and I even agree the government should DEFINITLY be better prepared for this kind of event...but for GODS sake....people need to use their heads, learn to stop relying on everyone else for everything, and when something like this happens don't stand around and wait...DO SOMETHING!!!!

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   

The validity of some of your points might have carried more weight, if you had you not ignored much of what he recounted and so ridiculously contorted his story.

Originally posted by rcwj75
Video 1:
-He admits the family COULD have left, chose to stay and its now someone elses fault...even though they were all warned over and over this was going to be a bad storm.

I don't recall him blaming anyone for their failure to recognize their true peril. Moreover, he stayed because his parents chose to stay.

-Next day MOM tells him to MOVE his car the water is rising. So again, they chose to stay.

-Water is rising, they move family valuables to the attic...good idea. Water keeps rising trip after trip to the attic...they keep going back and forth INSTEAD OF worrying about there health and well being...bad idea.

-He admits the water is getting to chest level...so instead of getting outside to be seen clearly where someone could get to them or get supplies to them, they instead retreat to the attic with NOTHING!

You make a lot of assumptions and omit that all of this transpired over the course of 20 minutes. Not much time, now is it?

I don't know about you, but I highly doubt under those circumstances that the family stood a better chance treading water while awaiting help. In fact, I think the idea an entirely moronic one.

- He says news choppers are flying above the houses, and see them through the window, but no rescue helicopters. Problem: YOUR IN THE ATTIC SLICK...NO RESCUE CAN BE MADE ON YOU BY CHOPPER!!!

Again, you appear confused by the facts as he recounts them. There were NO rescue helicopters for three days-- despite the 'news' ones flying almost immediately overhead.

Honestly, I question your obvious attempt to make him and his family seem like 'dummies' laying prostrate in the attic. And, 'SLICK' and his family were ultimately saved by chopper, so they were obviously seen somehow.

Video 2:
-I think the kids full of ----! IMO

-He stood there for 6 hours....I stood in line at Disney in 100 degree weather for 4 hours to get onto a new ride!

Yes, I can clearly see your point. Standing in line at Disney for four hours in 100 degree heat for a ride is the equivalent of sustaining three days with limited food and water; being forced to stand, in similar weather, with sick and injured people packed so tightly that if your arms hung to the side you would be unable to raise them; and witnessing 'those in charge', all the while, laughing and sneering at your condition...while you wait for an altogether different kind of ride...a bus to safety.

Yup, I'd say those experiences are about the same.

I understand they lost a lot, and it was tragic but my god if your going to make this racial, or classist, or do whatever it is he is doing in this vid, make sure you stick to the flood destroying your home and stop complaining about the aid you recieved. Just because they didn't put you up in a new house or hotel within 10 minutes doesn't mean MANY people wheren't down there VOLUNTERALY helping you!!!!!!!!

While he merely recounted his experience, you have taken that account and twisted it into something quite different. What he states doesn't approach the nonsense you have written.

Video 3:
-So first he says everyone is calm and helping each other and acting civil. Now they have NOWHERE to go, yet he now says when the busses pull up and the military tries to get them ALL on in an orderly fashion they DO INFACT start to act like animals. Bumrushing, fighting, etc... Hmmmmm! And yet he now wants to blame the military for the poor behavior of the people.

-Then again blames the "white" military leaders for the actions of everyone there. So in other words DON'T blame the animals who can't simply wait in line. Bottom line, sounds like some people are so used to having EVERYONE else help them they had NO IDEA how to help themselves!

-He says people were acting like this because they were desperate....ok I got the desperate part but the HELP WAS THERE! The buses were taking them to food, water, shelter, etc....The military was giving them water, etc...yet they still try to damage/destroy the help their getting...makes no sense!

He didn't blame the military for the behavior of the crowd, he blamed them for failing to do anything that might stop it. Perhaps they couldn't. I was not there, nor were you.

But in the context of being laughed at by 'white' soldiers and seeing the preferential treatment given to a single white family, I can understand why he might think their failure had less to do with logistical issues associated with controlling a desperate crowd.

White families shared in the tragedy, A LOT of people suffered...and I even agree the government should DEFINITLY be better prepared for this kind of event...but for GODS sake....people need to use their heads, learn to stop relying on everyone else for everything, and when something like this happens don't stand around and wait...DO SOMETHING!!!!

Too bad you diminished much of this point with all the nonsense that preceded it. :shk:

[edit on 26-3-2008 by loam]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I was deployed to New Orleans with Blackwater on the 7th of September 2005. I was there, I an still here. How dare you judge these people, how dare you! You will never know the truth of what happened here. I do not have enough strength in my fingers to share with you all of the thing things that I have seen, all the things that I continue to see.

"To save New Orleans, the leaders proposed a radical plan. South of the city, the population was mostly rural and poor. The leaders appealed to the federal government to essentially sacrifice those parishes by blowing up an earthen levee and diverting the water to marshland. They promised restitution to people who would lose their homes. Government officials, including Commerce Secretary Herbert Hoover, signed off."

www.whatreallyhappened.com...

This was 1927 can you not see how this exact reasoning was used once again?

The power grid was off a week longer than was necessary (Entergy)
Evacuated low income appts. were immediately emptied of their contents.
The city council unanimously elected to raise 4500 low income homes in an open city council meeting that the public was not allowed to attend (a riot ensued)
FEMA turned away Walmart trucks at the Louisiana border bringing water, ice and supplies.
People seeking refuge on the unaffected bank of the river were turned away at gunpoint on the Crescent City connection bridge.
The National Guard now openly patrols the streets on New Orleans in civilian like patrol cars.
The local "thugs" brought the people at the convention center water when the military could not even air drop supplies onto convention center blvd.
These people were disarmed (often forcibly).
85 buses in 1 foot of water stood unused while people died from heat exhaustion and lack of food in both the convention center and the Superdome.
4 of 5 major low income housing projects are currently being raised.
1 in 25 persons in New Orleans is homeless and many live under an overpass at I-10 and Canal (I invite you to see for yourself any evening)
Contractors were moved into rental properties much to the dismay of those who evacuated.
Dead bodies were in the streets in excess of a week, they were in trees, they were everywhere.

I haven't scratched the surface. Until you know what you are talking about I suggest you bide your tongue on this one. These people have suffered and continue to suffer and a comparison to a day in Disneyland quite frankly - pisses me off.

I have learned to love these people and the place we all call home and I am asking you to leave this one alone if you don't have anything constructive or encouraging to contribute.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Thank you for that post.

This is the reason I feel sick any time I hear a fema or bush administration joke. People are suffering and dying here, and the best most news sources can do is laugh about it?

[edit on 26-3-2008 by alaskan]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by KMFNWO

I wasn't going to mention it, but since you brought it up! I do have first hand knowledge of what happened there, and how people acted, and yes how a lot of people suffered. How do I know...well 8 days after it hit I was sent from my department to aid in the rescue of these people. I was there for 3 months, SO YES I DO KNOW TO WHAT I AM SPEAKING!!! There were 7 departments from my area who sent help to the region. We all helped drag out WAY to many bodies, but more importantly we all helped fight WAY to much BS crime. Sorry but when crime continues after such a tragedy, that says a lot about the people.

I spent my time in CBD, By Water, and the Lower Ninth Ward. I seen all I needed to see about selfishness and greed in those areas. You don't hear anyone on video talking about the things that happened like the beatings, robbings, shootings, etc...and not by the Police/Military...this was by the people of NO on their own neighbors. And for what? Instead of sharing the food they came to get they would hoard it, which lead to fighting and robbing for a share of it. Then when we or someone provided the supplies (water, food, etc) it was the same thing, NO SHARING, it turned into fighting over it.

Also, another thing you WILL NOT hear about are the hundreds/thousands of ABLE BODIED men and women who COULD HAVE helped us with the rescue effort, or security effort but did what? They stole TV's, Jewelry, DVD's, and anything else they could steal and take with them. No helping their own city in a time of crisis...nooooo...leave that up to everyone else. I watched healthy young men run by struggling women while holding a tv....did they stop and see if THEY could help or do something? Nope...he wanted that TV...wasn't intersted in helping anyone but himself.

I watched able body men and women standing in line for water and food...and who were asked to help gather up the handicapped or weak citizens and bring them to the front to be taken care of first...and many REFUSED!!! Again, these were supposedly MEN who weren't starving, weren't hurt or injured, and had PLENTY of energy to help his fellow man/neighbor...and REFUSED. Why isn't that on video, or being talked about anywhere?

I had people we gave MRE's too DEMAND 5 or 6 of them at a time. Yes DEMAND! They said one wasn't going to fill them up....NO concern that everyone get fed atleast one first, THEN worry about if more are to be provided...NOOOOOO want want want....

Was it all this way, no...there were many great people of that city who stepped up to the challange and did the right thing. They helped ANYWAY they could. And thank god for them. I, to this day, still stay in contact with 4 people who I got to know do there during my time. And they are WONDERFUL people. I agree...MANY people down there were great but the majority were not. I had people tell me they were ASHAMED by the actions of their city.

Lastly I worked with Blackwater Operators down there to patrol our 3 areas. They saw the same BS I saw, so no idea where you were or what your role was but you sound like you overlooked the truth of what occured. I laugh because news agencies like CNN and MSNBC say the reports od theft, murder, and robbing were unfounded and noone was doing that. Obviously their goal was to destroy Bush and the government reaction to the disaster...and rightly so, but to KNOWINGLY dismiss facts that WERE going on is kind of sad for the media to do. Like I said, if you were there, like I was, you know this, and to deny it would be unjust!

As far an anything encouraging to contribute, I have nothing from my time there that was truly encouraging. Other then the few who stepped forward and didn't sit back and let everyone else do the work. Your saying people are now stepping up to help get things back to normal...well THEY SHOULD...its their home. You didn't see the people of Mississippi sit back, they all jumped right in and helped out anyway they could. THEY helped take care of the sick and injured and handicapped. THEY helped distribute supplies and THEY helped rebuild.

So you see my friends from NO who I still stay in contact with said it best, they said: "You know we are living in the end days when a tragedy like this doesn't even bring neighbors together, rather it takes thousands of people who don't live here or even know us to come in and take care of the problem." ...Marshall Family...all black and they never once...NOT ONCE mentioned race my entire time there, or to this day. So this goes back to the original poster and those vids. I was there, I am white, and NEVER did I crack a smile or see one cracked at the misfortune of the people involved who were of all colors...were there cases of racism there, I don't know...I didn't see any. Do I think rescue workers, aid workers, police officers, nurses, and doctors gone down there to help if they were racist???? Makes no sense to me! We went there to help PEOPLE in need not a race!

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Katrina has probaly been the most tragic event in my life. I was not there but I heard many stories both bad and good. This is what I believe, the people did not know the levee had broken and did not know how devastating this would be to their lives so many chose to stay. I am sure they had gone through hurricanes before and felt like they knew what to do as they had in previous times. I can only imagine the bodies from the district closest to the levee and what happened to them as they died. I would not be able to keep my sanity if I had been there. Also, there were people who robbed and also people who genuinely helped. Humans are not all alike and especially in a circumstance such as Katrina. I can not even imagine the horror and grief. I only hope it can never happen again.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
This is crazy man... the next season begin real soon and its suposed to be crazy!

top topics

join