It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasonry celebrates its many female brethren

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Freemasonry celebrates its many female brethren

www.timesonline.co.uk

Now not only are there an estimated 20,000 women freemasons in Britain alone, but their male counterparts in the United Grand Lodge of England have decided to give the ladies a pat on the back by celebrating their centenary year with a special exhibition at their headquarters in Covent Garden, starting on June 4. It will be the first British exhibition on women and their involvement with freemasonry.

But don't believe for a moment that freemasonry is turning unisex. Women's lodges remain separate from men's lodges, apart from the occasional social evening or lecture.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Well that was nice of the Grand Lodge to do that for them, however, i never knew there were female masons. I thought they had their own secret societies that may be linked to freemasonry but they were still never considered masons.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I didn't know women were allowed to be masons either. I knew there were organizations for the wives of masons, but I thought that was the extent of it. Are there female masons in the North America as well?

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

They're not. There's a separate organization called "The Eastern Star" that is essentially the same thing, only for women.

Let it be known here that women are NOT masons, regardless of what anyone says. Freemasonry is a fraternity, and as such, women are not allowed to join.

When I first heard that women were members, I too was thrown for a loop. But then I realized that women got their own group via the Eastern Star, which made me feel a little bit better.

Hope this helps out some.

For more information, refer to their website.

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

That's what i thought, i guess the article just streamlined the facts for easier reading.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Sounds like a huge sausage fest to me . I think i would rather run with the girls. If nothing for the good company

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
reply to post by sc2099

Let it be known here that women are NOT masons, regardless of what anyone says. Freemasonry is a fraternity, and as such, women are not allowed to join.

TheBorg

Well just because it's a fraternity doesn't make it "not open to women" The Rosicrucians are a fraternity filled with both fraters and sorors.

What do you can Fraternal twins which are female?

Don't get it twisted. Fraternity out of the context of college youth organizations doesn't mean "no females"

top topics

join