It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Believing in All the Religions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Many people have probably heard about this concept:

If one religion might fail in the end, then why not have a backup religion?
In fact, let's believe in every single major religion out there, then we'll get an afterlife for sure.

I've actually thought about applying this method to myself. Even though some religions contradict each other.

I'm currently an atheist because no one single religion that appeals to me. Logic is my blood, and it's what leads to some of my successes in lfie.

However, there is always the possibility of a afterlife (Although my logic denies it). So why not choose a faith, or many faiths? After all, the majority of the world believes in some sort of an afterlife.

I'll get baptized, ritualized, maybe I was reincarnated or ressurrected.

The only problem is the amount of dedication that I will have to give and the degree of criticism that I will receive. But nothing else, right

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Because you can't. It is dishonest.

Number one of the ten commandments is

"You shall have no other gods before me.

If you believe another one then you disqualify yourself.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
Because you can't. It is dishonest.
Number one of the ten commandments is
"You shall have no other gods before me."
If you believe another one then you disqualify yourself.

There you go. A lot of religions are exclusionary like that. There is no God in Buddhism. So what are you going to do? Believe and not believe at the same time?

Same thing with Christianity and Islam. If you believe Jesus was God, then forget being Muslim at the same time. They think that Number One Commandment excluded Jesus, too. So there you go. Can't have it both ways.

Your best bet is to just pick one where you don't feel silly doing what other people in that religion do. Unless you're like me, and feel silly doing any of it. In that case, just put a big "I don't know" in the place where you would put your religious beliefs.

It's maybe not as comforting in the face of a harsh existence, but it's honest. Even Jesus said he'd rather have people be either hot or cold toward him, rather than lukewarm.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Well I think you're probably better off putting an "I don't know" in front of it than out-right rejecting anything. At least you're keeping your mind open to the possibility. But, you know where I stand, so I won't go any further than that.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I don't believe in every religion per say, but I do believe that there are enough similarities between many of the religions that make me think that each one is it's own path to the same truth and enlightenment. I think too many people get caught up in the small technicalities that make the religions different and forget what is really important.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This is a very interesting and controversial subject that you have brought up I am also atheist because I don’t see the point why you have to pray to some thing that does not exist. The whole sense of religion in my view is like, some one gives you some thing and you spend your whole life saying thank you and not actually use what was given to you. In my view that’s life wasted?

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ohhhh well

That was always my problem with religion as well, I think most of the main religions idea of constantly worshiping God is ridiculous and I personally don't feel that God has intended it to be that way, but I have never been able to shake the feeling of a presence of a God to become an athiest.

So I have taken what has seem to make sense to me from each of the religions. I follow the golden rule (which nearly every religion has a statute that is very similar to the golden rule) and I believe that God wants us to live our lives just as a father would want his children to go out and make lives for themselves to make the dynasty that he created even better.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

All major religions are false.
Believing in a religion will not save you.
The religions we have today, as far as the Protestant religions go, are false, to a certain extent.
Let me tell you why I think this.
You can basicly look to one person, or a small group of people who founded each of these religions.
Once they go ahead and set up an organization, it is infiltrated by agents who go to work changing it.
The agents will divert followers away from what makes it unique.
The aim is to destroy what is in the founder's beliefs that makes it different from whatever they have tryed to get away from, in the mainstream religion.
For a recent example, you can look at what happened to the beliefs of David Koresh.
Good luck trying to find out what David believed in.
As soon as David was dead, the men who had already become his bitter enemy, before his death, went ahead and rested control of his organization and started to subvert and misrepresent his teachings.
This is how it works and the major protestent churches were set apon in a demonic manner, to subvert anything that resembled truth.
The motivation is from the lovers of the big lie.
The lie is the power of the Church to direct your lives, regardless of the clear teachings of Christ and the Law of God.

top topics

join