It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AM Radio Going Away?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I heard something last night that struck me as interesting, but I hadn't heard anything about this before. Let me backtrack a bit and mention that recently my favorite AM sports station moved to FM radio. I mentioned that to someone last night who knows people in the radio industry as well as people in the telecomm/satellite industry.

She said that AM stations are going to be moving to FM and that AM radio will be going away. She said this had something to do with the fact that FM radio transmitters were easier to track and/or control than AM. I'm not sure what she meant by that.

She also said that the recent satellite that was brought down was done so on purpose and it had more to do with limiting international AM communications. Again, I'm not sure what she meant, but her sources seemed to know what they were talking about.

Have any of you heard anything along these lines?

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The key words here are "track and control"-

The two most important words this era.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I forgot to mention something else that was interesting. She seemed to be really familiar with some of the details about how the government intercepts conversations in voice communications. She described a system that I was already familiar with. She did seem to know what she was talking about and didn't seem to be making any of it up. It's just unusual for me to run into people that are that familiar with this stuff. Most people either don't know about it or don't care.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Most of the time its a man in the middle attack its easy to moniter a frequency modulated setup its diffucult to moniter amplitude changes and phase changes for tuning reasons if you dont know exactly what your going for .. what ever happend to single side band ..

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Can anyone confirm this?

So much for getting a ccradio, first the tv band and now this.

[edit on 25-3-2008 by hoppy]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Sounds to me like this has been in the cards all along.They couldn't allow amplitude modulation stations to keep running when they activate the harrp array.The harrp signal would cover all the am stations.It would make it harder to hide the harrp effect.

Soon when you turn on an old am radio all you'll hear is a constant drone on all the frequencies

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The shift away from AM radio couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that FM produces a clearer signal that gives more consistent coverage. I'm sure that most of us have noticed AM's bad habit of fading out when you're near power lines, under a bridge / overpass, or during a decent-sized storm. FM signals aren't nearly as prone to that sort of disruption, which makes FM much more attractive to commercial enterprises.

As for AM being harder to track, all I can say is "wha?". It's no harder to triangulate on an AM signal than an FM one with direction-finding gear. Been there, done that.

I also hate to even try to discuss HAARP, since nasty things like physics degrees and a radio engineer's license don't seem to hold a candle to internet sites full of channeled spirits and blurry UFO photographs, but here goes nada...the HAARP array wouldn't impact commercial AM broadcasts in the continental US. There are several commercial TV and radio stations in the lower 48 with higher ERP than the HAARP array, and they haven't impacted AM terribly. The HAARP array has been in use for years, and we haven't seen (heard?) an AM blackout yet.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I love my AM stations and it'd be sad to see them go, but I have to admit I don't think this is a conspiracy.

It's just a case of out with the old, in with the new. At least it is to me anyway.

Let's be frank here, as the poster above me mentioned AM is trackable too. In addition to that the quality sucks, I much prefer podcasts of AM radio shows because the quality of the program content is there, without being downgraded by bad broadcast quality.

FM doesn't drop out nearly as much either, something I find exceedingly irritating (I keep missing parts of radio shows when I stop in congestion etc!!!).

So yeah... It'll be sad to see it go if it really does, but I don't think its a conspiracy. After all nothing is really stopping you making or keeping AM radios and broadcasting illegally... well except for the law. Not everyone here follows the rules though from what I've read recently.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Here is the one thing that FM doesn't have going for it. Distance. FM is strictly "line of sight". Also, at night, the quality of AM radio goes up considerably, as does the broadcast distance. I've heard stations broadcasting on AM from about 100 miles away. Try that with FM. (Especially right at twilight, before they have to turn down their broadcast power).

Anyone ever heard a "whacked out conspiracy talk show" on FM? No, they proliferate in AM (ie, where it's cheap). But I bet that didn't have anything to do in the decision making, did it?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
AM going away? Dose anyone still listen to this static

Just joking...

Digital radio is obviously gaining ground as your signal can be set around the globe.

Satellite radio might have some problems with line of sight in cities due to buildings blocking signal. I did hear that there was some police and emergency channels opening as they are moving to a higher freq. This will open up the spectrum for communications in the public domain (I will try to find that article again)

while you are talking about radio waves this topic always comes to mind.

Radio Wave Sickness

True or false I cannot say but I know that all these radio waves running around the world are not natural, so there must be some kind of effect.

What are the general symptoms of radio wave sickness?

Neurological: headaches, dizziness, nausea, difficulty concentrating, memory loss, irritability, depression, anxiety, insomnia, fatigue, weakness, tremors, muscle spasms, numbness, tingling, altered reflexes, muscle and joint pain, leg/foot pain, “Flue-like” symptoms, fever. More severe reactions can include seizures, paralysis, psychosis and stroke.

Cardiac: palpitations, arrhythmias, pain or pressure in the chest, low or high blood pressure, slow or fast heart rate, shortness of breath.

Respiratory: sinusitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma.

Dermatological: skin rash, itching, burning, facial flushing.

Ophthalmologic: pain or burning in the eyes, pressure in/behind the eyes, deteriorating vision, floaters, cataracts.

Others: digestive problems; abdominal pain; enlarged thyroid, testicular/ovarian pain; dryness of lips, tongue, mouth, eyes; great thirst; dehydration; nosebleeds; internal bleeding; altered sugar metabolism; immune system abnormalities; redistribution of metals within the body; hair loss; pain in the teeth; deteriorating fillings; impaired sense of smell; ringing in the ears.

Source: www.emfpollution.com...

Maybe we should make all radio bands go away

top topics

join