It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.B. Cooper's Parachute Found?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

D.B. Cooper's Parachute Found?

www.koin.com

AMBOY, Wash. - There could be a major break in the biggest crime mystery in Northwest history.The FBI in Seattle is beginning analysis of a long-buried parachute - the same type used by skyjacker D.B. Cooper when he jumped from an Northwest Orient Airlines 727 with a 25 pound money bag containing 200-thousand dollars ransom on Thanksgiving eve 1971.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The FBI agent assigned the case will clean the chute, and check the label against the reserve chute left by Cooper. The FBI is releasing the info to the public in hopes it will stir up more information about the heist.

I will be honest with you guys. This seems to be sensational and mysterious, although I must admit I had not heard of this until now. Now I am left wondering.....

Can anyone shed some light on this?

www.koin.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I just heard about this on the radio. Crazy stuff if it's truly Cooper's.
Imagine, this long and we may actually be closer to an answer.

looking forward to more info being released soon.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Just wanted to add...today the FBI said it WASNT the parachute. The saga continues.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Yep, the one found was made with silk from the 40's, not nylon from the 70's models like Good ole Cooper's.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Not only did the still living seller of DB's chute personally verify it was not his. But the SS and FBI have said none of the 20's have never made it in to circulation. So one could surmise a skeleton corpse resided hanging from a tree somewhere with a suitcase of cash under it. Or, they are lieing and covering up.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
From the 40's.... made of silk...

I wonder if it is a Fugo envelop instead of a parachute.

A Fugo envelop was the outer cover of a balloon the Japanese used to try to bomb the West coast during WW2. It looks like a parachute but built different.

These balloons carried both incendiaries and anti-personnel bombs.

Now for the $64,000 question, would the FBI release info now that it was from this type of weapon. It may give others ideas....

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

That's a heck of an idea!
It would be a very good explanation actually, the only recorded deaths by one of these FUGO's was here in Oregon. And this is about the right area where you'd find one.
Of course, since they even bothered to have it tested it they musta been able to identify it as a personnel chute vs. a ballistic parachute. And it wouldn't seem to be a security threat to not report it anyway.

neat though

JbT

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Not only did the still living seller of DB's chute personally verify it was not his. But the SS and FBI have said none of the 20's have never made it in to circulation. So one could surmise a skeleton corpse resided hanging from a tree somewhere with a suitcase of cash under it. Or, they are lieing and covering up.

If you look into the case you will find that along the banks of the Columbia river near Vancouver, B.C. and Seatle there was a satchel found by a family. The satchel/bag contained about 5600$ in decomposing 20$ bills that looked to have either been placed there, or had washed ashore. Those 20$ bills were the last known location of D.B. Cooper's ransom and just exactly how they got there is a part of the mystery.

There have been a couple people who can be called true suspects. In fact, Richard McCoy, Jr. who did a so called "copy cat" hijacking a couple months after "Cooper" is to many people one of the best suspects, as he is the only other person to survive an aft stairway parachute from a civilian airliner, next to "D.B. Cooper". Thats not the only thing linking McCoy to Cooper. The methods used were very similar, linking a Tie and Tie Clip from the Cooper case to the McCoy case.

There was also a man named Duane Weber who claimed on his death bead to be Cooper. He was ex-army, worked in a prison near Portland, was said to talk in his sleep about "aft stairways and finger prints" his wife claims, was near the area where the Satchel of 20$ bills was found on the Columbia only months earlier for a "sentimental journey" his wife claimed. Though, finger prints and DNA did not match this claim.

Kenneth Christiansen matched all the criteria for a suspect, other than he didnt match the looks.

If you ask me, I say that the best suspect that Ive read about is by far Richard McCoy, Jr. I belive he was D.B. Cooper. Google McCoy and I think you might agree hes the best suspect, and that the Cooper case died with McCoy.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by JbT]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602

Some of the money was found. Been following this on the local news.

KTVU News Site (Northern California)

Some of the money was found in 1980. But if Cooper landed near Amboy and stashed the money bag there, there's no way it could have naturally reached the place where it was found.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the post up guys. I was not aware of those newest developments in the case.
That's why this site rocks, virtual temple of Ori.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
It would be interesting to know if Kenneth Christiansen was either an experienced parachutist or, as I think ex-Airborne, as well as being a pilot. I think that would account for both his requesting a parachute and knowing how to lower the stairs in the back of the plane when he jumped from the plane. I am sure that both the Secret Service AND the FBI thought of this possibility and looked into it. I think that regardless of who it was, he either died when he jumped or shortly afterwards, like Duane Weber did. That is why that nothing but the $5,600 that was found along the river. The rest of it either floated into the ocean or was left where it was origionally buried.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Please read Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

* Make sure the story is not more than 48 hours old. Old news is not breaking news and more importantly, it's probably already posted.

Thread moved.

top topics

join