It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

160 Square Mile Ice Chunk Collapses in Antarctica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

160 Square Mile Ice Chunk Collapses in Antarctica

www.cnn.com

A chunk of Antarctic ice about seven times the size of Manhattan suddenly collapsed, putting an even greater portion of glacial ice at risk, scientists said Tuesday. Satellite images show the runaway disintegration of a 160-square-mile chunk in western Antarctica, which started February 28. It was the edge of the Wilkins ice shelf and has been there for hundreds, maybe 1,500 years.

This is the result of global warming, said British Antarctic Survey scientist David Vaughan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Hmm. This seems fairly significant - 7 times the size of Manhattan. Though ice falling off these glaciers is not rare, something of this magnitude is. Wonder if Global Warming in fact is behind it?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
LOL... we posted the same article within a minute of each other..

you do have the better headline though.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
another ice shelf 'broke' off a couple weeks before katrina. I wonder if this will cause some sort of crazy weather phenomenom like then.

Great article. Star and a flag from me

Tela

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Telafree
another ice shelf 'broke' off a couple weeks before katrina. I wonder if this will cause some sort of crazy weather phenomenom like then.

Global warming?
Maybe.
The real source?
HAARP.

That is what causes the crazy weather phenomenon.
They control climate...
The ionosphere...
Its all under control.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I've always wondered, how many of these chunks fell off before we had satellites watching over the ice shelf? I'm thinking it was more common than Al Gore thinks it was.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
explain to me how the HAARP project could make an ice shelf fall apart?

Ive heard of HAARP before and the things it can do to clouds, but Ive never seen anyone really explain anything beyond "I think it was HAARP that caused it" etc.

Ill ask it one more time for safety's sake, how could HAARP cause an ice shelf to collapse? does it control the softness of the ice? the warmth? I thought this was winter and the icecaps were growing back? This is an obvious sign that not every place with ice is growing it back imho.

Tela

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Maybe the abundant amount of seismic activity worldwide shimmied that puppy loose... stranger things have happened.

I just read an article a few hours ago about the rise in levels of water off the eastern coast of the states, kind of odd timing for that one. wouldn't this just add to the levels of the ocean (even minutely) worldwide?

I think the ride is just beginning, and its going to be an interesting one.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
I just read an article a few hours ago about the rise in levels of water off the eastern coast of the states, kind of odd timing for that one. wouldn't this just add to the levels of the ocean (even minutely) worldwide?

It would make common sense that there would be more water in the ocean if a big sheet of ice suddenly became unfrozen.

at least imho.

Tela

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Its either Global warming which is cyclical (sp) or it could be someone's playing God.

Whichever it is, i am sure we will never know.

Anyone remember if it was Stan Deyo who said on Coast to Coast that the Russians as well as the Americans were "thawing out" the poles?
Something about more land. I know i heard this.

[edit on 25-3-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Anyone remember if it was Stan Deyo who said on Coast to Coast that the Russians as well as the Americans were "thawing out" the poles?
Something about more land. I know i heard this.

I hadn't heard that specifically, but had made that tentative conclusion on my own. Still, no more land at the North Pole to be had, really. Maybe surrounding land masses might thaw as well, but the pole has no land. Antarctica, on the other hand... And who knows what ruins - if any- are hidden under the ice there.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Telafree

I think it would depend on whether or not the sheet was already on the water when it broke off. Keep in mind that not all of the Antarctic ice is over land. I suspect that this shelf was already on water when it lost it's support and broke off, thus causing minimal impact. Not only that, but the claim is that it started to collapse Feb 28, breaking up over say, the last three weeks. When the last big sheet collapsed, it was said that it happened over the course of days or even weeks. Otherwise, if a whole shelf just busted off, I'd think somebody would be bracing for quite the tsunami.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
As much as it is feasable, why jump straight to human intervention?
Has anyone considered the volcanic activity under the Antarctic? The heat and seizmic activity could cause something like this.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I would think that is really just a drop in the bucket if you really think of it. 7 times the size of Manhattan well it's not really that big when you think of it compared to the size of all the oceans, seas, rivers, and great lakes connected to the ocean. The world is mostly covered by water and I also live in Ohio it is crazy windy and cold right now, I say bring on the global warming I could use a little less snow like the 20 inches we just got.

top topics

join