It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Antarctic ice chunk collapses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Huge Antarctic ice chunk collapses

Scientist gather to film and document the break!

Satellite images show the runaway disintegration of a 160-square-mile chunk in western Antarctica, which started Feb. 28. It was the edge of the Wilkins ice shelf and has been there for hundreds, maybe 1,500 years.

Source

Thought I would share this with ATS.

[edit on 25/3/08 by Rhain]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Here are some addition pictures of this event.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Its the big chunk in the lower part below mcmurdo(sp?) that is cracked and poised to shift.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Oh no! Not another " It's the cause of Global Warming story." I wonder how many times a glacier has broken or collapsed since the earth has had ice on it? It will grow back just like the others have.

[edit on 3/25/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Yes that is scary, because when the ice does that this is what you end up with...

Disappearing World
Another Good Source
London Under Water
England Under Water

Thia land Under Water (VIDEO)

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

You know if the phrase "Global Warming" wasn't in those hyperlinks you supplied then I may be apt to believe it. But I feel there is no global warming going on and to me that makes those links useless information.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

You know if the phrase "Global Warming" wasn't in those hyperlinks you supplied then I may be apt to believe it. But I feel there is no global warming going on and to me that makes those links useless information.

So... Take those words out and read between the lines... Because I also believe that we are not the cause of this problem, at least not completely, and that it could be part of a natural cycle of our planet... So when I listen to a video or read a story that mentions "global warming" for example, I just ignore them and look for the scientific data and hard evidence... For example in the video showing the water level in Thia land is happening now and is most likely because the ice burgs are breaking up and melting, which as we all know causes the sea level to rise... They will do that until the planet become stable again, then we may enter a new ice age where everything starts again...

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Its not likely to grow back. Glaciers take thousands of years to form. Global warming or not, the planet is going through a rough cycle right now.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
What an absolutely dishonest story. According to satellite data temperatures in the southern most reaches of our planet are far below normal. Over the past three months the temperatures have been no warmer than -0.780 degrees c below normal.

And this huge chunk of ice? I have to laugh. This chunk of ice represents approximately 0.00302% of the total Antarctic ice by surface area. Huge to a little itty bitty person maybe. But compared to the rest of the Antarctic ice is isn't even noticeable. Antarctic ice measures just over 5,297,000 square miles.

This is a non story packed with misleading (dishonest) information.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Agreed. Neat phenomenon, but insignificant.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone failed to mention it, but the article clearly states that this particular shelf is merely floating on the sea and would NOT add to any global sea levels (only perhaps disrupt fishing/travel vessels (again the article states that ships don't frequent the area).

Mid-way down the page:

Ice shelves are floating ice sheets attached to the coast. Because they are already floating, their collapse does not have any effect on sea levels, according to the Cambridge-based British Antarctic Survey.

www.cnn.com...

top topics

join