It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Attacks China's Record In Tibet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

The Government has launched a fierce attack on China's continuing "violation" of human rights in the wake of bloodshed in Tibet.

The Foreign Office annual report on human rights says there has been a "disappointing" lack of progress towards a peaceful settlement, and people are regularly "harassed" for their religious beliefs.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Skynews

I cannot find the annual report, I'll post it when I do, but I do not think we've gone far enough on this. If the UK is willing to boycott and ban sporting events/individuals from Zimbabwe due to human rights, why won't we do it with China?

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I agree with the sentiment of your post, and we should be challenging China more on its record in Tibet but what can we actually do?

Boycott chinese goods? Have a trade ban? I think many people might talk the talk on this one, but how many of us want to give up on the lower costs goods/food we get as a result on using chinese labour?

On the question of the Olympics, it should be left to each member of the British team to decide. After all, they have spend the past years training and should our Government tell them that all their efforts have been in vain. I suspect no major Olympical power will boycott the Olympics.

I did hear Martin Bain on The Above Politics show let go on this one!!

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Freedom ERP asked

I agree with the sentiment of your post, and we should be challenging China more on its record in Tibet but what can we actually do?

I hear what you say and the other day I went through my stuff and found an astonishing number of made in China labels. I have personally decided to buy more carefully from now on.

What free trade with China actually represents is the export of employment to China and the undermining of our employment conditions.

What we can do is pressure our own Governments to renegotiate the WTO to require minimum standards of human rights for membership.

[edit on 26-3-2008 by sy.gunson]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Lets not buy anything from China, boycott the O games and then we can economically cripple them.

Then we can really watch the people suffer! Muhahahahaha...

Really; who do you think you are hurting?

MonKey

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
The UK can criticise all it likes, but it signed a treaty with China in 1907 recognising China's authority over Tibet.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Under duress after Younghusband invaded them. Later in 1918 Britain China and Tibet signed another treaty contradicting the earlier one which was the Treaty of 1906 incidentally which you refer.

How many native English speakers understand what the term surzainity means, let alone Tibetan speakers ?

In many respects you're quite right and UK has more responsibility for the crap in Tibet now than any other country bar China itself.

The British forced treaties on the Chinese to buy Opium.

Does that make it right in 2008 ?

By that rationale Stumason UK should immediately re-invade China and enforce the honouring of Opium sales.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by sy.gunson]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

Well, not really, seeing as the UK actively tried to end the Opium trade from the 1880's. However, China was almost full self-sufficient in Opium by the end of the 19th century, so either way you look at it, the trade ended.

Also, the blame for this doesn;t rest solely on just British shoulders. The Russians share an equal blame, and the French a lesser part, but blame none the less. The sole reason we invaded Tibet was to prevent Russian expansion down into India and onwards. It was called the Great Game.

But, being so schooled in History as you are, you know that already.

new topics

top topics

join