It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Workers Killed In Miami Crane Collapse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

2 Workers Killed In Miami Crane Collapse

cbsnews.com

Two construction workers were killed and four others injured Tuesday when a crane collapsed at a downtown high-rise condominium site and fell on top of an unoccupied home that the contractor used as an office, officials said.

Miami fire spokesman Ignatius Carroll said one other person was treated at the scene and another was possibly trapped under rubble.

He said the crane was not stable, so the rescue efforts were hampered. He said he was unsure how the crane fell.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2008/3/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
In the last two weeks, we've had two of these and I think these collapses are the only ones I can remember of this type of crane.

Fox News is now saying that all persons have been extricated from the rubble. This, from the shift supervisor.

cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

news.google.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
These types of cranes have always fascinated me and I've always marveled at how they operate and remain stable under such loads and with so little apparent support.

I have a friend who used to operate these types of cranes. He's quite a remarkable man in very many ways, but as unassuming as anyone can be.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I find it weird that twice now in two different locations so close together and this happens. I wonder what is going on.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Coincidence, probably, but as I have said, I've had a fascination with these things for most of my life and I've never heard of one collapsing in the US in all those years.

Perhaps, they have occurred, but in a time before 24 hour news coverage, maybe construction accidents didn't get a lot of national coverage.

Of course, now we are all likely to be sensitive to issues of sabotage, because of the terrorism factor.

Whatever the answer is, it is exceedingly strange to have two such accidents in such a short period of time.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I think its tragic for those involved, but its not the first time this has occured.

Why is this considered alternative news? And what conspiracy are you connecting this with?

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I don't like to be blatant, but I did mention in my last post that in these times, we find these kinds of events to be suspicious, especially when they occur in such a short period of time.

Cranes do topple from time to time, but these two instances are the only two that I can think of of this type of crane.

That and the timing are of interest and suggest the possibility of sabotage.

Is that clear enough?

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I dunno, I don't really see a conspiracy....the people involved have everything to lose. Who would gain from a crane collapse in your theory?

Even if the insurance companies compensated for the damaged goods, they would never get another contract their reputation would be ruined. And whose going to work for a contractor with an extremely bad record?

What makes you believe that is anything more than a coincidence?
Please elaborate on your conspiracy theory. In order for you to be suspicious you need to have someone to point the finger at.

My take on the story is that, alarmist news has been dry and the reporting agencies are scrambling for anything they can get their hands on.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Found this video from 2006 of a crane collapse. Think it has to do with some combination of weight, wind and improper anchoring.

Crane Collapse

apc

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Earth is experiencing intermittent gravity surges as a result of tidal forces created by the approaching invisible Planet X. We can expect more cranes to randomly fall down as we approach 2012. This is an intentional effect as the cranes interfere with landing operations for the Reptoid Invasion Fleet.

Or it could just be lazy government employed inspectors...

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Thanks for posting that, but that is not the sort of crane that collapsed in New York and Miami.

I'm not sure how they are designated, but the sort of crane that you linked to do topple for various reasons and while I wouldn't call it a frequent occurrence, it happens.

In the case of the cranes in New York and Miami, I have heard of none before the one in New York. I'm not saying that it has never happened, but I've never heard of it.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The type of crane that collapsed in New York and Miami is called a tower crane or a building crane.

The type of crane depicted in your link is a mobile crane, which as I said, do fall from time to time.

www.liveleak.com...

Just looking at a tower crane you'd think that they'd be toppling quite regularly, but in fact they don't, or if they do, I'm unaware of such.

science.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Here is a story of a tower crane collapse in Bellevue, WA, in November 2006.

A 210-foot construction crane collapsed Thursday evening in downtown Bellevue, striking several buildings and killing a man who lived in an apartment that was hit by the crane.

Bellevue Fire Department Lt. Bruce Kroon said the man's body was found in a fourth floor apartment of the Pinnacle Bell Center Building, which was hit by the falling crane. It appears no other people in the building were injured. A Microsoft Corp. spokesman identified the victim as Matthew Ammon, a 31-year-old intellectual property attorney with the company.

The crane was being operated at the time it fell, and the operator "rode the crane down" nearly 200 feet. He was hurt but reportedly was going to be OK, police spokesman Greg Grannis said.

www.komotv.com...

www.lni.wa.gov...

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Oh my gosh this building is across the street from me. Minnie told me she'll take some pictures for me tomorrow. So maybe I can post some on here. I didn't notice that it was this close to me. How sad.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I don't know about conspiracy but it's possible that it is contruction industry sabotage.... rival developers... that sort of thing?

someone should look into it further, see if anyone benefits from these tragic accidents?

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I just found out about the crane that fell when I was over at our park playing soccer with some friends a little bit ago, and a mom of a girl I knew told me about what had happened..
It was too dark to actually see anything though. =/

Tomorrow before or after school when I get the time I'll try to get the pictures like my mom said. =]

There are these cranes every where since theres so much construction, and im kinda surprised it doesnt happen more often..When the wind blows Ive seen these cranes almost completely fall... >_<

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Pictures would be good.

It is of course a tragedy that there were deaths involved.

Construction is hazardous duty.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
sorry Grady, I don't think well get those pictures for you.

It's minnie's camera and she's been really busy. I don't think she ever took them. Just thought I should let you know.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Yea, and by the next day it was completely cleaned up...
Sorry,

top topics

join