It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murder Mystery Game for BTS (Discussion thread)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Hello Everyone,

Just wondered if it was possible to bring a murder mystery style game to BTS...

This is what ive come up with so far:

Each game will have 15 or less players plus a host player. The host is responsible for setting / creating the scenario on the boards and will choose the killer via U2U from the players taking part. The host will be the only person who knows who the killer is. The killer can kill players via a U2U (to each player) once a U2U has been received that player has to write himself / herself out of the game leaving clues behind. Leaving the rest of the players to find the killer before the time runs out. Otherwise the killer wins. Probably a period of one week for one game.

This is all ive come up with so far, and its just guidelines so anything can change, once a game platform can be worked out then you could have a number of games running at the same time. I see it as a soap opera thread with an edge, although it may end up as something completely different.

But this is where you (ATS members and Mods) come in, I need help to expand the idea, create a platform, make it work.

Is this a good idea and will it work? Over to you...

Regards,

JQ.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
That sounds fun...can I be Ms. Scarlett?

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
This sounds like fun. The mechanics will have to be sorted out otherwise things could get somewhat chaotic and messy, however I'm sure we could come up with something. I'll give it some thought.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I think I am interested!
I think I am already the killer!
All of a sudden, I feel evil...muhuhahahaha!
I'll be watching!

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies people..... any help / thoughts you have please post them here.

The scenario doesnt have to be in a house with a butler etc it could be set at anytime, location, or with an ATS theme.

All input is most welcome even if its just support.

Thanks again,

JQ.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I want to play too!

fun fun fun

=)

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I can be the policeman..frisking the girls for concealed weapons..

It sounds like a bit of a giggle, I'd be up forrit..

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

It sounds like a bit of a giggle, I'd be up forrit..

One track mind there T.:shk:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

OOOO.....I haven't been frisked in a long time

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Sounds like a whole lot of fun, Im sure Us staff can help you in some way,

Ill have a chat with them and see what we can do to help

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Oooooooooooooooo goodie goodie goodie!!!!!!!

lol YAY

Excitement... adventure... mystery... intrigue... it's the ATS muder mystery game!!

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Thank you asala,

If the staff could help that would be so cool, also thanks again for everyones positive feedback..

I have asked the BTS mix guys to help / send people this way to get the ideas / thoughts moving..

Just need people to bounce ideas off..

Thanks again...

JQ.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jensouth31

Frankly my dear Scarlett I don't give a damn!

Man I have waited years to be able to use that line.

I think this is a great idea John Q I am up for it too. But alas there are already three women in this thread alone that have killed me. Well at least my ego

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Ok people I think I may have cracked this...

I will try to explain how it will work:

The game will consist of 10 - 15 players actually the more the better, which also includes a host player / writer. The host player will choose the killer (via U2U) from the players taking part in the game.

The killer will kill the players (again via U2U) but will send this U2U to the host player (this is to protect the identity of the killer from other players taking part). The host player will then issue a U2U with a clue to the player that is going to be killed off. Its then down to the player to write themselves out of the game leaving the clue behind.

Every player is allowed one guess only (to name the killer), this guess will be sent to the host player during the time frame of the game. Now this is where it really gets going.... if the player guesses incorrectly they can still win but the whole concept of the game changes for them. They have to survive to the end of the game. Each players own tactics will come into this... you could lurk in the shadow, so as not to be threat to the killer, you can help other players find the killer before you get killed off or you can deceive fellow players so the killer picks them over you.

It really will be a game of who can you trust...

I guess if a player finds the killer the game ends, the player wins. Or if the time runs out the killer wins. Hopefully having lots of players and only one guess will stop the game from ending quickly.

The key to all this is the host player / writer, I know ATS has some great writers so im sure they can come up with some interesting scenarios. I dont think the story line is that important, the host player will create the opening scene and then maybe link parts of the game together, give the players things to do. Its the players interaction thats the most important thing here.

Things I cant work out:

What are the clues going to be and how to link them to the killer.

Do we have characters? I think it would be a good idea, if thats the case I need people to come up with some characters for this.

I know theres still a lot of detail to be added but I think we have a game platform now.

Any comments / ideas / questions again please post them here.

Regards,

JQ.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Another thought...

If we do have characters like a policeman, nurse, scientist, doctor etc maybe we could get our art members to design some avatars for these characters. The character avatar would help for number of reasons:

If there are 15 players it would be a lot easier to see who you are interacting with, plus also more fun.

Adds a bit more depth to the game.

Also free advertising around the forums to promote the game, the more people play the more fun we have.

If people like this idea and the whole murder mystery game takes off, might want to make this a competition for our art members to design character avatars, which will be more fun for people, again just a thought / idea.

Gonna stop thinking now..... and no more coffee.

Regards,

JQ.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Pretty much an adaption of mafia, which I was suppose to play tonight but our get together got rained out.

Well I would say that it would be more interesting to have a public accusation then the people vote for either the accused or the accuser. SO I say "John Q, I think you are the killer". It then comes to a vote between the living players. If I get the most votes, I am gone. The process continues till all the killers are voted out, or there is only 1 innocent and X amount of killers remaining. It is then up to the dead to vote for who they think is the killer(s).

And interesting twist to the plot would be this. So the host gets to choose who the killers are. there will be 2-3 people. The host will then get to decide the murderers patterns.

aka.
All Murderers must start the first sentence of their paragraph with the word "The".
All murderers must mention 3 members in their post, no more, no less.
All murderers must use one smilely face per post.

A failure to follow these "clues" means they automatically are out. The best part, these patterns don't just apply to this thread, but all threads.

Now every member becomes their own detective. Looking through other members post, trying to find patterns and tendencies, especially between mafia members. Say "grimreaper797 and john Q have both been starting their posts with the word "the" everytime and using some smilely face in every post. I think they are the mafia members" (of course you can only vote one member at a time because its a accuser accused voting system).

All members must make at least 1 post a day should be a general rule. In any thread on ATS.

I think this would be awesome because now you aren't only voting but snooping around ATS looking for clues about the other 15 members patterns.

edit: when I say ATS I mean ATS/BTS/PTS.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by grimreaper797]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This is one of those great ideas that make BTS a great board and JohnQ a stellar member!

Doc and I will mention this on the BTS Mix Show 4!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I remember playing live versions of these years ago.

Murder parties where we all got dressed up and came in character to the party. Was a lot of fun.

I think the key to this is having someone be the ( as they say in Dungeons and Dragons ) game master. Someone willing to direct the players and moderate interactions from the outside.

I say go for it. Come up with a general idea of the time, place, characters and who is going to be the murderer. Give each character a U2U with the short bio on their role and the killer or killers a short description of how they did and why and then plan on specific times to meet and play the game on the boards. Although you may not want to script it out, you need to give the players something to base their interactions on.

I like the idea of the clues for the killer being something they do or say that is unique, but if players are looking for that it may be hard to disguise. For instance, a smiley face may be to obvious. Maybe the clues can be something subtle and harder to spot. If the game master is creative enough I am sure they can think of a few ideas. For instance, maybe the killer uses a certain combination of letters in their text when they kill someone. So Bob the fireman kills Jane the teacher, he informs her in a U2U that she is his next victim, and so when she dies by posting her grim death scene on the boards Bob comments like everyone else but in his response he uses the letters DEATH REAPER in that order throughout the response. All of his responses must contain this formula.

Let the GM ( Game Master ) plan and decide how the killer makes themselves distinct, each game should be different for obvious reasons.

Anyways, there are tons of ways to do something like this and it sounds fun fun !!

The avatar thing sounds great as well. If I find the time I would love to make some.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
My idea is more of a salem witch trials idea, but there are actually two or three witches lol.

The smilely face was just an example. It could be anything. For instance:

John Q starts his posts like this:

Just wondered if it was possible to bring a murder mystery style game to BTS...

Thanks for the replies people..... any help / thoughts you have please post them here.

If the staff could help that would be so cool, also thanks again for everyones positive feedback..

Ok people I think I may have cracked this...

Another thought...

every time he is posting, he uses one sentence, or a fractured sentence, then starts a new paragraph. If you found 2-3 people all doing that, you may decide that is a clue.

Now I just found a pattern out of nothing. The idea isn't to find a pattern and immediately go "AHA! MUST BE HIM" but to find it consistantly, and in more than one members post.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
WUK.....

hahaha
That's the wrong Scarlett WUK! I was thinking more along the lines of- Ms. Scarlett did it in the libray with the rope....like the game "Clue"

[edit on 3/27/2008 by jensouth31]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join