It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain Doesn't Know How to Use a Computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
With all the lying going on in both the Hillary and Obama camps, and since McCain seems to be the only candidate looking Presidential at this point, it appears that honesty can be extremely boring.

He admits to being computer illiterate, so as innocent as this may be, is this a BAD sign that only proves he is 'out-of-touch' with the common folk, is this GOOD in some very basic and simple way, or does it even matter?

Seems only fair to allow McCain to get his fair share of political drama since this election is turning into a reality TV show that can be called "Political Survivor".

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
He's 71 years old. I would imagine that if you took a poll of 71 year olds...a large majority would be computer illiterate. The man was in his late 40s, early 50s when personal computers really hit the mainstream.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
He admits to being computer illiterate,....

So what? So am I to some degree. I can get on and type a letter. I can find my way around the internet. That's about all a lot of us can do. That doesn't mean anything.

Lots of folks can't set the VCR.
Lots of folks can't figure out a cell phone with lots of buttons, etc.
Lots of folks can't fix a computer when it starts to do strange things.

It doesn't mean anything.

If you are rich enough or powerful enough, then you pay people to take care of those things so that you can concentrate on what you know how to do best. In John McCain's case - it's being Senator (for now).

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Just as long as he is able to reach over and push that red button at 3am then we're ok....right?

But seriously, I don't think this a really big deal, as someone said earlier, most people his age are not computer wizards. I would like him to be able to check his e-mail on his own

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm just surprised that he claims to be PC illiterate considering I get an email from him almost on a daily basis

Get email from Obama too but I wish I could get Howard Dean to stop emailing me.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The other night it took me 15 min to tell my mum over the phone how to play a DVD in the Xbox360...

People are not great with teachnology....

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

I knew there was something I liked about him!!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Does he really need to have "mad" computer skills? Seems to me that's why he has assistants. He's gotta read all that stuff, not look for it on the net.

Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I know what you mean.
To some degree, you've really got to appreciate and respect the simplicity of McCain.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
He's like my dad..except I like my dad.
Example of a "dad" message, left on my answering machine:

"Tell Space to call his dad"

Gave me a chuckle..

No reason to like him any more or less, pretty standard for that generation, with exceptions of course.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Yeah, i'm not really concerned whether or not McCain can use a computer. I mean, Bush admitted he doesn't read the paper.

The president is usually a pretty busy guy anyway, making speeches telling everyone not to worry and stuff like that. I dont think the position really requires that you're computer literate.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
reply to post by jsobecky

I know what you mean.
To some degree, you've really got to appreciate and respect the simplicity of McCain.

Um, no. The man is a loony freak. I have a lot of many things for McCain and respect long ago was marked off the list. The man is phony and incompetent. There is nothing left to respect he sold / traded it all for this last run at president.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

Well I expect him to be able to use one, my Dad is turning 70 this year and he's on the internet, can download things, has a digital camera etc...I find it unbelievable that McCain can't use a computer given his profession...that's pretty shocking to me, actually.

LOL Space that's a good one, my Dad, although he can use a computer has never gotten the hang of the answering machine either but can use voicemail so go figure LOL...what kills me is Mom...she says into my voice mail..."Cherie, pick up...you there? Pick up it's important!"

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I don't really care if he can use a computer.

The GREAT news is that McCain wants a permanent BAN on internet taxes. I wonder of Barry O. would be willing to make this same pledge??

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Considering he is openly illiterate (not just computer illiterate) there would be no need for a computer if he can't even READ email anyway...

Originally posted by realmatrix
Just as long as he is able to reach over and push that red button at 3am then we're ok....right?

I can jut see it. A big sign over the red button "DO NOT PRESS THIS BUTTON" and McCain says "what does this button do?" as he reaches over to press it.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I know this topic may be a non issue for some people, but the point of the thread is to ask the question from the perspective of just how important a role the computer has in the modern world.

You certainly need a computer nowadays just to function that for many, the pc has now become a necessity.

I would think by not being computer literate McCain's abilities would be hindered somewhat, especially when certain actions required of a Prez are delayed as a result of not being able to send out a certain email on time.

Maybe that's the plan of the media, to make McCain's the butt of their jokes while using his computer illiteracy as a tool for distraction.

Might we expect a Presidential Computer Tutor position to become avaiable, should McCain happen to win?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Bill Clinton said he never learned how to use a computer until after he left office. Everything was written out.

Obama doesn't know much more than your general Joe Schmoe. Computers are very simple to use, too easy probably.

Software has to be both bullet-proof and idiot-proof - makes us computer programmers pull our hair out at times and are amazed at how some people can be so - well - stupid!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

A surprisingly large number of modern politicians don't really know. Tony Blair never used a computer either - apparently he just got his aides to do all the technical stuff because he didn't know how. Needless to say, that little fact was kept very quiet lest it tarnish his image. It was good of John McCain to admit it, I guess.

top topics

join