posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:48 PM
Option 1: Boiling water – This is generally the safest method to destroy any disease & organisms. In order to boil water you will need a source of
heat either from a fire or a camp/emergency stove (I recommend a CampChef
a camp pot or cup. If the water you locate is murky or cloudy some people like to first pour the water through a coffee filter/paper towel to get rid
of any sediment that may be in the water, of course this is optional. Make sure that you bring the water to a rolling boil for a minimum of 60
seconds plus one added minute for each 1000 feet above sea level in order to ensure that all living organisms are dead. If the water taste flat after
boiling it may need to be aerated, this can be done by pouring water back and forth between 2 containers.
Option 2: Tablets – This option is the most light weight and portable solution. There are two common types of tablets that are available to purify
water Iodine & Chlorine. If the water you locate is murky or cloudy some people like to first pour the water through a coffee filter/paper towel to
get rid of any sediment that may be in the water before you add the tablets, of course this is optional.
– Iodine will kill pathogens that are heat
resistant. When using iodine drop the tablet in the water and wait 30 minutes before drinking the water as per instructions on the bottle. You can
also use liquid iodine. If there are no directions on the iodine bottle use 12 drops to the gallon of water. If the water is cloudy, double that
quantity. Again, mix well and allow to stand for thirty minutes. Iodine is a quick and easy solution. Pregnant women and people with thyroid problems
should contact a physician before taking iodine.
Chlorine Dioxide Tablets
- Like the iodine this is also a
light weight and portable solution for water purification. Chlorine Dioxide is a stronger pathogen killer than iodine and will not discolor the
water. To use these tablets drop them in your water and wait 15 minutes before drinking as per the instructions on the bottle. The water will have a
slight chlorine taste. You can also use liquid bleach found in your home - Liquid Chlorine Bleach: Be sure the bleach you have on hand for this
purpose contains only sodium hypochlorite (5.25% solution) with no soap, phosphates, scents, etc. For one gallon of clear water, add 8 drops (1/8 tsp)
of bleach. To five gallons of clear water add 32 drops (1/2 tsp.) If the water is cloudy, double these amounts. Use this eye dropper or spoon for
nothing else. At the time the bleach is purchased, it should be dated. Bleach which is over a year old has lost about half its strength so the
quantities you use would have to be doubled. After adding the bleach to the water, mix well and let stand for thirty minutes before using.
Note: Both chlorine and iodine will impart a taste to the water. Pouring the water from one container to another several times will help dissipate
some of that taste by re-oxygenating the water. If you have some Tang or Kool-Aid they will help disguise these tastes for children.
Option 3: Water Filters
- Water Filters will remove bacteria, cysts and parasites &
filters can remove many waterborne chemicals and even filter out "off" tastes that boiling or tablets cannot. These filters are made in various
sizes and output capacities. Some are small enough to be carried in a backpack. It would be advisable to have several of these on hand. Filters are
an excellent option when you have the need for something that you can carry and will last long term.
All the product you need can be found at www.survivalmountain.com