It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US warship 'opens fire in Suez' Breaking News

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I went tho the Suez Canal back in 2005 when I was on board the USS Carl Vinson. Every 50 cal machine gun was manned and if anything or anyone was in the water with in a certain amount of yards. We would open fire on them. I remember when my ship went tho on each side of the canal were men with rifles posted every so many yards. It felt very uneasy going tho there.

I am guessing someone crossed that barrier and they took action. USS Cole is the reason why of this now.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
This is the point I was trying to make in my previous posts. Not only was there military equipment on board the ship but an actual Navy armed security team. My personal opinion i that there is more to this ship than what is obvious. They didn't want anyone any closer to that vessel than what they said and I don't think there were any warning shots fired. I think they were shooting at the ship on purpose as per their orders. This ship had a perimeter established and anything within that range was fair game. I'm sure there was weapons on board, but not all of them were used surplus.

A U.S. Navy security team aboard the Global Patriot fired the warning shots, said Lt. Nathan Christensen, deputy spokesman for the U.S. 5th Fleet, based in Bahrain.

US Navy Confirms Suez Canal Shooting

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Nothing on the ship was "surplus". They were brand new MRAPs bound for the US forces in Iraq. The MRAPs are built in South Africa, which is where this ship originated.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
HellHound63S a star for you my friend.
And to everyone saying this was a barbaric act of hatred against a poor guy in his boat... well you go there on that ship (try it as a mental excercise) picture yourself in the middle of a hot zone. What would you do holding that rifle. Would you hold your fire, while an unidentified ship is headed your way. Wouldn't you think about coming back home, being able to hold your child, see your family. Wouldn't you do anything possible to deffend your crewmen, your friends who would die for you? (I'm asuming crew was not all civilian) Or would you think about letting an anuthorised ship getting into striking distance and very possible injuring or killing you and your men? What would you do lookink down the barrel with your life and the life of others (fathers, sons, daughters) in your hands. Could you make the right decision?

Think about it.
Maybe it is because I grew up in third world contry that I see the freedoms you enjoy and the petti things you whine about every day. Sadly you spit on graves with your words. You spit on the men that are dying just because they want to make a difference for their contry and mantain your freedoms. Just like all the left wing ******** spit on my dad when he came back from nam. Our young are dying and if you don't value their sacrifice to your contry, your family. Then they might as well have died in vane because you don't appreciate the freedoms you enjoy every day.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Here's a slightly more detailed account of the story I found. It also has a picture of a cargo ship in the canal, and I assume the typical kind of boats that frequent it.

Source

Analysis
A U.S. cargo ship traveling in the highly congested Suez Canal opened fire March 24 on a motorboat carrying three Egyptians, killing a 17-year-old fisherman. While there is some confusion whether it was the U.S. cargo ship or the Egyptian navy that fired, widespread reports say it was the U.S. vessel.

The incident shows that the United States is on alert for any signs of attack in the region, and could provide fodder for Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood

The U.S. ship, called the Global Patriot, transfers U.S. military equipment from Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Kuwait; and Iraq. It was in a waiting area known as the Zenobia Lighthouse preparing to enter the Mediterranean when the incident took place.

The Suez Canal is one of the world’s busiest sea trade canals; at some points it is only 120 yards wide. The canal is also one of Egypt’s main sources of foreign currency.

According to the Egyptian navy, the Egyptian motorboat contained merchants attempting to sell products to the Global Patriot. It is not uncommon for such merchants to seek to sell cigarettes and other local products to the crew of larger craft. The crew of the U.S. ship reportedly told the smaller boat to stay back, but they spoke in English. When the motorboat did not comply, the Global Patriot opened fire.

[edit on 3/25/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Oh wow, I thought he was much older for some reason. I had no idea he was just a 17 year old. Bless his heart. His little life was cut so short. I'm very sad now. Sadder than before.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Nothing on the ship was "surplus". They were brand new MRAPs bound for the US forces in Iraq. The MRAPs are built in South Africa, which is where this ship originated.

An earlier article had said that the ship was carrying used US military equipment.

The Global Patriot, carrying used US military equipment, was in the Gulf of Suez when it was approached by a motorboat selling local merchandise.

US examines Suez Canal shooting

If you have more recent and detailed information please post the link.

This story is changing so much you'd think a Clinton was telling it.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
the article also says there was a similar incident back in February if I recall correctly.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Another source is reporting he was a 27 year old father of 3.

It is reported that this trader was a 27 year-old father of three. His three children will undoubtedly grow up with a serious distrust of America and its foreign policy. The chance that these children are going to grow up and become leaders against America is slim, yet they will provide their voices to an ever growing choir of middle-easterners effected by this war and our interventionist policies.

www.nolanchart.com...

It was reported back in January that they were going to charter the Global Patriot to haul MRAPs from South Africa to Iraq in an effort to get as many into the theater as possible.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
And yet another verson where our Egyptian ambassador apologizes for the accidental shooting. The age of the fisherman is different here.

US apologizes to Egypt over Suez Canal incident
US apologizes to Egypt over Suez Canal incident

Cairo, March 25 (DPA) The US ambassador to Egypt apologized Tuesday over an incident in which a US cargo vessel opened fire on an Egyptian boat near the Suez Canal, killing one man and injuring two. Ambassador Francis J. Ricciardoni told the Dubai-based al-Arabiya television that the incident was regrettable.

“We are really sorry over this outcome (of the accident). We will open an inquiry into it,” Ricciardoni said

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

OH wow, see that is what I thought. I was thinking I read that he was older and a dad of 2. How can they not get the whole facts on this story straight. It's not hard is it? I mean we've had a shooting a man is dead. How hard can it be to get to the bottom of this.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Because you're dealing with multiple sources, talking to multiple people, all of whom are very emotional about this event. There's bound to be confusion going on, which is why the story has changed so much as time has gone on.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Did anyone else notice now there are reports of an Egyptian navy vessel possibly firing?

If the Navy personnel that did the firing say all shots were accounted for I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are in.

The ship was on short term charter to the Navy. It was operating under the same ROE as any other U.S. warship.

The Egyptian ignored repeated attempts to turn him back. The only surprising thing to me is they fired warning shots at all.

Muslim terrorists have demonstrated they will kill innocent civilians to implicate the U.S. military.

Of course the Navy personnel that did the firing could be trying to cover their asses too.

We may never know what actually happened. Truth has a different meaning in the mideast. Also, as has been pointed out, there are many conflicting agendas at work. You may not know what is actually motivating your source.

Most in the military are exceptional people trying to do their best in a difficult and often thankless job. There are also, of course, rotten apples in any organization the size of the military.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Because you're dealing with multiple sources, talking to multiple people, all of whom are very emotional about this event. There's bound to be confusion going on, which is why the story has changed so much as time has gone on.

Those elements are not uncommon for any time news media is reporting a homicide. There is always multiple parties being investigated. There is always very emotional people. There is always 'confusion'.

The extent of the variances in these articles is highly suspect..

Even more suspect is the fact the US military is still saying no one was shot, only warning shots fired. Yet the Egyptian sources are giving us body counts (well 1 fatal, and others injured), names, family history, etc. That dissonance is highly suspect.

Has the US Military changed their stance on what happened. Maybe I missed an update?

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wasco
Did anyone else notice now there are reports of an Egyptian navy vessel possibly firing?

Wouldn't that have been included in the initial word from US Military officials?..

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOWWOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW

Great post!

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistor
WOW WOW WOW

Great post!

Which one?

Shar has some stellar posts!

But which one and why? muhahhaha. Never mind. Am I trying to mod here? heh.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
@seagull- Of course ther's nothing wrong with calling a mistake, I just keep getting flashbacks of congressman Mertha jumping on the bandwagon saying how our troops are rapeists and murderers, and later not getting on his hands and knees begging for forgiveness when it was all false. How does ridiculeing our troops proove bush is wrong?

Blind patiotism, is not my problem, your ASSUMEING I love my government just because I so fiercely defend our troops, be carefull turn-about is far play! What if I made similar assumptions about you, you couldn't say its unfair anymore could you? I'm not though, hate bush, all the senators, all the congressmen, all the judges, all the governers, all the mayors you wish, and not a word of discouragement will be uttered by me over it, but don't be suprised when you get a fierce and scaithing patriotic defence of our citizen soldiers, when you smear thier good names! Howabout a little love for the guy/gal who could be making alot more money in the civilian world, but instead is doing thier part to earn his/her liberty!

@LLoyd45- Your one of the few to EVER even HINT at that particular distinction (that government isn't the troops/people), but it takes reading more than one of your posts and quite a bit of reading between the lines to find any such selectivity in your critisisims. You don't afford me any such carefull analyzeing though do you? I'm a radical constitutionalist, so how high an oppinion do you really think I could have of our government? Do you think our government still abides by the document wich contains the only workable ideals of liberty known on the planet? EVERY soldier takes an oath to defend this beloved constitution from all enemies foriegn or domestic, wich catagory do you think the government falls into? I haven't seen fightclub in a longtime, I hated it, so most likely it had only minimal subconcious influence on my post.

@dgtempe- NO, you never out right said our troops are murderers, but you don't feel the need to make the distinction between bush/government and our troops very often either, or are you posting patriotic posts the mods are deleting? Our troops are not our government by proxy, and vise versa too. Lets look at your past posts:

I wonder how they were ordered to stop. by opening fire and gunning right for the head?
How does one come to a complete stop at sea, i wonder.
But anyway, case closed and solved.

Right, cuz all our troops are sitting around looking for ciggerette salesmen to slaughter, these poor suckers just had thier numbers come up? Ya I love to pop those stupid civies right in the head, watch thier brains fly right onto thier watching children, makes those children taste so much better when I eat them alive!

As of late we have been doing a darned good job at bullying the world.
Tell me, do they also have the right to stop us or does it just work one way?
Forgive my stupidity.

Stupidity is very forgiveable, hate of your neighbor is a little tuffer. The Egyptions are in no danger from this boat, they agreed to let it threw, who was so justified in stopping us? Who exactly are you accuesing of this bullying, I know your not suggesting bush is going over thier personaly, so who then?

Shar, its just one of those things that will be investigated and hopefully it was true that they in fact did send up a ton of flares and that other boat just didnt obey our rules- maybe he needed to hustle and make some real money that day.
Its a shame if they were innocents. Can you picture an agressive cigarrette sales person?
I dont know, i hope it was an accident.

OK, I'll give you credit here, at least here you were HOPEING our troops weren't murderers, even though its obvious your convinced they ARE murderers. At least for one moment you had a hope in your heart they weren't, its a start and the rest of your posts are similar, so I give you credit again.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

"I read nothing in the news release to support a history of attacks by small boats in the region. If there was, please quote it for me. There's is a history of merchants peddling cigarettes and other items though."

There is no history of either of these in US ports - yet, if a small boat approaches a ship in a manner like that and disregards warnings to stay away it runs the risk of the very same result. If it is a US Navy ship being approached the outcome would be certain - Middle East, US or anywhere else. And, how on earth could the personnel aboard the ship know, with any certainty, that the small boat or barge was, in fact, harmless? You said they should know the difference.

Edited to take out a bit of levity that was no in good taste. Sorry - I just get tired the US bashing.

Hopup

[edit on 25-3-2008 by Hopup Dave]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Yah, you're absolutely right. They're just lying their butts off because it's the military and they always cover things up.
There's no such thing as confusion in the media.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join