It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undisclosed F-22A incident found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
November 1, 2007 an F-22A made an emergency landing at Nellis AFB in Nevada. No details of the incident have been released, however, it has been classified as a Class A accident, which means over $1 million in damage. The first anything was known about the accident was a list on the AIB webpage that showed an F-22A incident on November 2, 2007, however the incident actually occured on the 1st.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Hey Zaph did a quick search and found this info on class A mishaps that the F-22 has had since begining service.

As mentioned before, the F-22 experienced one Class A in-flight, with an additional Class A mishap during ground ops. Thankfully, nobody was injured and no jets were lost. Let's take a closer look at these Class A mishaps.

During ground preflight operations, a nose gear pin was ingested by the right engine. Engine damage was significant enough to elevate the mishap into the Class A range.

An F-22 pilot experienced gear problems during a training sortie. The pilot eventually set up for a planned approach-end arrestment. Upon touchdown, the left main landing gear began collapsing. The aircraft successfully engaged the barrier and came to a stop on the runway. The aircraft experienced significant airframe damage and the pilot successfully ground egressed.

The most likely of course for the insident you mentioned is the landing gear collapse though the dealy in the report or classification of class A till a day later could lead to the engine and FOD issue that was elevated to class A. Not sure but there are the Class A accidents that I could come across. No mention of dates for these but its possible this could be old 06 information.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
All that I've found on this incident was that it was 1 November 2007 at Nellis. The pilot declared an In Flight Emergency (IFE), and landed safely. There was no word on what the IFE was about, or anything else. The AIB SHOULD be releasing the accident report any time now as we're past the 90 day mark, unless they played the game where they didn't convene the board for a month after.

I would say these are different incidents. This would have been FY08 for this incident, and the nose gear collapse that they keep referring to was FY06 it looks like.

[edit on 3/25/2008 by Zaphod58]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The aircraft lost #1 engine on takeoff, due to bad adhesive. The first 30 F-22s delivered have bad adhesive for their LO coatings. The adhesive failed on take off and a piece of the LO coating came off and went down the engine. It's been fixed in later aircraft, but the first 30 have the bad adhesive, and I don't think it's fixable.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

How can it not be fixable? An expensive demanding pain in the ass maybe, but non fixable?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I don't know, I haven't found much on it. Unless it was built into the aircraft from the start. If it was integrated into the structure somehow it would be an extremely difficult thing to fix. I'll keep digging into it and see if I can find anything, but I wouldn't count on finding much. The best sources I've found so far however have said the first 30 aircraft are stuck with the bad glue.

[edit on 3/27/2008 by Zaphod58]

new topics

top topics

join