It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$24B spent on security in Canada since 9/11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   

$24B spent on security in Canada since 9/11

www.cbc.ca

Canada has spent an extra $24 billion beefing up security measures since the Sept. 11 attacks on U.S. soil, CBC News estimates.

The federal government has never revealed the costs of extra security precautions taken after the 2001 attacks, but CBC calculated the multibillion-dollar figure by tallying budgets from various departments and interviewing sources familiar with defence-related spending.

Domestic security accounted for the largest portion of expenditures at around $15 billion. That amount includes costs such as paying domestic airlines to outfit planes with reinforced doors on pilots' cabins and installing high-tech detection scanners at ports and land crossings.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It blows my mind to hear this considering 9/11 was a false flag. All this money going to a protect us from something that doesn't even exist. Even if there are actually terrorists that want to kill us for our freedoms isn't sacrificing our way of life, and trust me $24B that could have gone to other things is sacrifice, giving into the terrorists? I hate to present that argument because the whole war on terror is a sham.

Those that are still fearing the cave dwellers turned advanced international terrorists or as CNN puts it Al-Qaeda 2.0 wake up already and start demanding that we start spending money on the people again and not more security.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

Remember, Canada is being run by Mr. Porkbarrel Harper who loves Dick(VP) and Bush(Pez) and he is lining his pockets with the "big Spend" so long as he obediant to Dick/Bush.

Of course, he comes across as an ignorant wimp when you first start to work from him (or so I hear) but the longer you work for him you will discover that thats an understatement.

I give Canada another 8 to 10 years before it is absorbed into whatever the US has up its sleeve.

[edit on 24-3-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
24bil is chump change in teh grand scheme of things.

How's the socialized healthcare going?

Compare your article to this:

Iraq war costs US 12 billion per month

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The Canadian powers that be Sold The Soul of the Country back in the mid 1980's during the Mulroney years. (Reagan/Bush in US) Harper has just put the varnish on the pretty coffin that they will bury Canada in by the time the coming 5 years is up!

The last bastian of freedom, Truedau , is dead and nobody knows how in hockey sticks we will ever gain back what he stood for in this world.

He was one of the few men who could stand up to RIchard Nixon and his wiley ways with his old chum H. Kisinger. Peed in Mr. H.K's Scotch he did!

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

We have to keep in mind, 24 bil may be chump change if you're taxing a population of, oh, say, 303 million people, but Canada has a population of just 33 million. It's a pretty significant chunk of change for Canada to spend.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by poisonmekare

Yea but this is over what is about to be a 7 year span. That 24bil could have gone to a lot of stuff also: equipment upgrades, staffing, and new agencies.

It's not like they just threw 24bil out the window, I'm sure they have new assets, whereas we are spending 12bil a month on a war.

We have 10x the the amount of citizens than Canada:

Canada Population: 33,390,141

US Population: 301,139,947

So I suppose by your standards that would be around 240bil for the US.

US spend 406bil in 2006 on debt interest

Trust me, 24bil is chump change for your government. I don't think it should be thrown down the toilet, but it is not a huge part of the budget I'm sure.

new topics

top topics

join